• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Poppy seeds appearance

Survival0200

Bluelighter
Can you judge if poppy seeds are dirtied by alkaloids by their appearance? If the seeds look too clean and perfect, I wonder if that means they have been washed?

Yes, to a certain extent. But this isn't always reliable. I've had seeds that looked very clean, with little residue or pod material, but were very strong. Likewise I've had seeds with a bunch of pod bits that were quite weak. So while there does seem to be a correlation in many cases, it isn't always a reliable way to gauge strength.

Seeds are definitely something you have to ease into and take baby steps to get the hang of. If you plan on washing a huge amount of some random brand seeds then you're probably going to be very underwhelmed or on the verge of overdosing and having a very bad time.

if you plan to use seeds then you need to spend the time and effort to not only find the "correct" amount to wash but also find a brand that is consistent enough that you can use them with reasonable safety.

I attempted seed tea a couple times, the first time I was severely underwhelmed so I washed 3x the amount of the same brand from a different batch. I ended up with my heart beating out of my chest and barely being able to remain conscious, there was no euphoria. I suspect the residue on the seeds contained a lot of thebaine as well as morphine/codeine.

In short, no you can't tell by looking at them. The seeds in my experience looked exactly the same but one was very clearly stronger. So do your research and be very cautious if you plan to continue with seed tea

Seeds that are sticking together & have bits of straw still in them are probably your best bet.

Usually the light blue/grey ones with hardly any straw have been washed.

Also some poppies produce different ratios of alkaloids, so you could get a batch that is full of thebaine, which would most likely not be a good time.

Best to go with organic, unwashed & from certain varieties known to yield better alkaloid ratios.

So in essence, what negrogesic said. Usually what I mentioned are good indicators of potency but there are variables.

This.
Yes, to a certain extent. But this isn't always reliable. I've had seeds that looked very clean, with little residue or pod material, but were very strong. Likewise I've had seeds with a bunch of pod bits that were quite weak. So while there does seem to be a correlation in many cases, it isn't always a reliable way to gauge strength.
And yes, not all strains of poppies are the same. Some batches, like the generic ones that I used to get at the store would give me an actual buzz sometimes.

Some on the other hand, like the ones ordered in bulk, containing bits of plant material and whatnot done nothing to me, even in large quantities. I eventually got sick of drinking huge amounts of this tea and never getting the desired effects, although it did something sometimes, which I reckon was more probably due to thebaine and other alkaloids. Not really your typical opioid high. Would not recommend.

If I could get my hands on some of the nice ones, maybe I'd give it a shot, but otherwise I think it's junk.