• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy head mold and species ID

NickNightingale

Bluelighter
Hi all,

First time handling dried pods - they look fine to me, but just wanted to ask if it looks like they're showing any signs of mold?

Also, do they look like a species typically used to make tea?

Images attached. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
They look like p somniferum, and some of that may be natural coloration rather than mold.

Grind into a powder and run through an espresso maker if you have one. Depending on your tolerance I'd start with 5-10g.

In the past, out of desperation I have consumed pod tea (or espresso rather) made with pods that were very clearly moldy. The resulting liquid irritated my throat and left a strange fuzzy feeling in my mouth akin to a mild allergic reaction, but that was all.

They look like p somniferum, and some of that may be natural coloration rather than mold.

Grind into a powder and run through an espresso maker if you have one. Depending on your tolerance I'd start with 5-10g.
Thanks. I don't have an espresso maker - plan was to grind, steep in boiled water, strain with tea cloth into a cup.

In the past, out of desperation I have consumed pod tea (or espresso rather) made with pods that were very clearly moldy. The resulting liquid irritated my throat and left a strange fuzzy feeling in my mouth akin to a mild allergic reaction, but that was all.
What does obvious mold look like?

What does obvious mold look like?

Well most concerning is mold on the interior of the pod, which your poppies don't seem to have. Mold in the interior looks simply like mold, fuzzy and dark.

I would certainly consume the ones you depicted. Then again, I also consumed pods that were clearly moldy inside, though I was definitely apprehensive.

Well most concerning is mold on the interior of the pod, which your poppies don't seem to have. Mold in the interior looks simply like mold, fuzzy and dark.

I would certainly consume the ones you depicted. Then again, I also consumed pods that were clearly moldy inside, though I was definitely apprehensive.
I've cracked a few and they all look good inside 👍

Thanks again

As I don't have scales, can anyone estimate how many heads would be needed for a cautious first dose? I'm relatively new to opiates but don't have a beginner's tolerance

I'm thinking 2 or 3

It’s too hard to say as the heads vary a great deal. You can find yourself a scale in a number of locations for cooking, or at head shops for.. “cooking.”

-GC

Thanks. Yeah I'll buy one. For now I'll just be extremely cautious and take a very light dose to gauge potency

Yeah.... They look like P. Somni and they don't look moldy to me. My pods would often have that discoloration and I always assumed it was dried resin within the poppy pod walls aka... opium. I could be wrong on that last part but the concerning mold is of the fuzzy variety found inside the pods.

Update: put three medium pods in a coffee grinder (seeds included), steeped them in boiled water (2.5 cups) for 30 minutes, poured all of the liquid into a mug with cheesecloth over it, squeezed cheesecloth into mug, discarded byproduct.

I drank it slowly over the space of about 6 hours.

I can feel it in my system, but no proper effects (other than analgesic - undefeated as per usual).

Positives: I didn't OD lol
Negatives: pods could be bunk; I could need a much higher dose than expected; my method could be off.

Will try again next week.

Don't drink it over 6 hours.

Should be consumed all in one dose (once you know your tolerance).

Recommend getting a little stove top espresso maker, they cost like $25, are very efficient, make excellent coffee. Making pod tea via steeping is sort of wasting it in comparison, given the fairly high price of poppy pods.

Update: put three medium pods in a coffee grinder (seeds included), steeped them in boiled water (2.5 cups) for 30 minutes, poured all of the liquid into a mug with cheesecloth over it, squeezed cheesecloth into mug, discarded byproduct.

I drank it slowly over the space of about 6 hours.

I can feel it in my system, but no proper effects (other than analgesic - undefeated as per usual).

Positives: I didn't OD lol
Negatives: pods could be bunk; I could need a much higher dose than expected; my method could be off.

Will try again next week.
Don't throw them away, you can re-use them once at the same day you made tea of them.

Don't drink it over 6 hours.

Should be consumed all in one dose (once you know your tolerance).

Recommend getting a little stove top espresso maker, they cost like $25, are very efficient, make excellent coffee. Making pod tea via steeping is sort of wasting it in comparison, given the fairly high price of poppy pods.
Thanks for info, will get a stovetop pot