• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppies and Kratom's Long-term Effect on Alcohol's Effects

Oakstone

Bluelighter
This came up briefly in the main Kratom thread a while ago, but I figured I'd make a post about it to tell what my experiences with it have been.
I started using Kratom around three months ago, and have since found that it's my favorite of all substances I've tried. A month and a half ago, I first started trying poppies (ground to a powder, mixed with water/tums, chugged), with some mixed success. I find them a bit more... mixed-feeling than kratom, and slightly "feverish", in a way. I'll still keep trying them to refine my dosage and techniques and stuff, to see how I like them in general.
Anyway. A while ago, before kratom and poppies, I was pretty into alcohol. Not an alcoholic, really, but probably a bit more than was good for me. After I started with kratom, I noticed a marked dislike of the taste of wine, and alcohol in general to an extent (although I brew my own beer and enjoy the taste of that).
During a few times that I tried to get drunk, I found it wasn't near as enjoyable as it once had, and made me just feel kind of tired and sick.
Once I started using poppies as well (it's worth noting that I use them very infrequently, as I don't want to become habituated or anything), I found that almost all enjoyment from alcohol was gone. I tried a few times, but to no success.
So I began the "final test" with alcohol. Took a bit of phenibut to hopefully increase effects, then, over probably 2-3 hours had around 16 drinks. (Mostly a high-alcohol Chinese rice wine I make, with one beer on the side.)
As before, virtually no enjoyment from it, just an extreme tiredness and heaviness. I fell asleep, and apparently knocked over my ~5 foot tall lamp sometime during the night without awakening myself (as an example of how out I was).
The next morning, I was still "drunk"; disorganized, stumbling, etc. Since this was a work day, that wasn't fun for me. Around noon it switched to being a hangover, which was quite horrible indeed.

So, basically, I won't be trying alcohol again for some time, which isn't a huge deal since I prefer kratom at this point anyway.

Have others noticed similar things like this happening with kratom/opiate use? Is there anything science has shown about why it happens?

I have the same with poppies and kratom. Alcohol euphoria is non-existent, when I have medium tolerance to one of those. Maybe euphoria is finally mediated by the opiate system somehow? But when I am on kratom, I enjoy one beer, more leaves me nauseas.

You shouldn't mix phenibut and alcohol. And watch out with the poppies. Withdrawing is doable, but not fun at all, it can take two weeks.

I have poppies a maximum of once every two weeks (often ends up every three or so weeks), so I doubt I'll have a problem.