• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Poor metabolizer of DXM. Does this rule it out?

Iusethemtosleep

Greenlighter
Hi all, I am a poor metabolizer of DXM (and therefore a very good metabolizer of codeine) and so I get more DXO than DXM.
30mg was enough to make me unable to sleep for an entire night.

Single Question:
Does this totally rule out DXM for me? Or would taking it with diphenihydramine be alright and allow me to use DXM as anyone else would?

I don't see how taking it with diphenhydramine would allow you to "use DXM as anyone else would." Perhaps you could elaborate?

I've known people who were enzyme-deficient who took extremely low doses (30-90 mg) and tripped the hell out. They had to adjust their dosage down to minute levels to get where they wanted to be. I don't know why you would want to add diphenhydramine to the mix.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it rules it out but just be careful with dosing. Work your way up from a small see what gives you a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th plateau trip if you want to go that far. Add DPH after you establish your dose range.

Start low and work your way up. DXM is relatively safe at low recreational doses, so at even smaller doses, it is what I consider to be safe enough to experiment with. Look up what it should take for a 3rd plateau trip. Do not exceed this dosage. Avoid MAOI's and enjoy.

Idk, I'm a poor metabolizer, and 60mg was easily more dissociating than 80+mg of MXE ever has been, and I wasn't even trying to trip, I was just sick... Personally, I'd say from my reading and my unintentional trip, that DXM is pretty low on the scale of worthwhile dissos in the first place. I find it frightening that 60mg makes me trip balls, frightening enough to think it's somehow dangerous. Generally, people like you and I simply avoid DXM for life once they figure out their metabolism issue.... That's my plan at least.

Stay safe.

DXM has a more significant body load than comparable dissociatives, but I wouldn't call it "pretty low on the scale of worthwhile dissos" just because you had an unintentional trip (which do tend to be discombobulating) while you were sick.

On the same note, people shouldn't be telling the OP to look up information on plateau dosing when they obviously don't require much more than the therapeutic dose for heavy psychoactive effects.

Oh yeah, and plz don't add diphenhydramine to the mix, at least anymore than 25-50 mg. There's a wealth of unsafe advice being given here, though intentions are not bad.

Last edited:
IME, dissociative induced insomnia cannot be alleviated by something as mild as diphenhydramine, if you wanna mess with DXM, raise your dose cautiously (within vacuole's range), and plan on being unable to sleep that night. Do not take a normal recreational dose or you'll be miserably intoxicated for days.

Last edited:
^^ I know it has its fans, hell, I wish I could try it and not worry about dying somehow, but I'm just trying to steer the OP clear of something that his body probably does not want, like mine. I will admit, my unintentional trip certainly has effected my opinion on it, but even before that I was iffy about it, only about 1/3rd of the people who try DXM recreationally end up liking it from what I can tell. I mean, I had a friend who swore by it, but he was bonkers in the first place.

Last edited:
re: 240sxLover

Your point is sound, and it's good for someone else who is enzyme deficient to weigh in on their experiences. I agree that the OP should tread lightly (or perhaps/probably not at all) when it comes to DXM. I think some of my response had to do with a sore spot that I've encountered over the years, namely that DXM is a "loser drug" and is only for people who can't get "real drugs" (lol, whatever that means).

The DXM subculture is an interesting one, to be sure. I met my wife from this subculture, on an online community which has fallen by the wayside in the past few years. I met (both online and in real life) some of the most brilliant and some of the most fucktarded people through this community, and yes, most of us/them were bonkers, especially while binging on the shit.

I've had some of the most profound and life-affirming trips on DXM, but it was something I had to learn. It's probably not worth learning for most people, due to its body load (which tends to be self-regulating for a good deal of users, as you tend to recall the negative effects of DXM when not on it). However, if you can survive the body load, which invariably tapers off, you will be taken some inexplicably haunting and wonderful places that I have never encountered on any other dissociative. The length of the experience is another factor; some people are predisposed to have afterglows, and the DXM afterglow, at its best, is like floating on a cloud. I've taken DXM before purely to face the next day on an afterglow, and the feeling is just utter contentment. Peaceful.

I could wax on the subject for hours, but I'm typing this on a phone and it's time to go back to work.

^What I really wonder is whether or not it's even safe for someone like the OP or I to take it. If some sort of proof that I wouldn't die or get sent to the ER from a DXM trip could be provided, I'd actually consider trying it again... but as is, I can't seem to shake that fear, and I've seen nothing to alleviate it.

I know what you mean about the DXM culture, I've met a few people who used it a lot (usually triple Cs though...) and they really enjoyed it, and had a lot to say about it. It just seems like it will be nigh impossible to prove its safety for users like me or the OP.

If some sort of proof that I wouldn't die or get sent to the ER from a DXM trip could be provided, I'd actually consider trying it again...

PRECISELY what you said. This is exactly what I'd like to know. My experience was precisely the same as yours; tripped a little (100mg) and got sick as hell, and couldn't sleep for 12 hours.