• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Polypropylene container for acidic reagents

Folley

Bluelighter
Would it work..? What kind of plastic do they ship the EZ Test/bunk police kits in?

I want to be able to carry around a single drop of my marquis reagent for testing on the go, but I cant find a definitive answer is polypropylene is safe from sulfuric acid or not.. So, before I just decide to give it try it and see what happens (something I would not like to do with a concentrated acid lol), does anyone know if it will be OK or not?

I'm planning to carry it in an eppendorf tube, if that would make any difference. It is identified as being "Bio plas 4050 polypropylene"

EZ tests are shipped in individual glass ampoules, no plastic in direct contact with the reagents. Sulfuric acid for household purposes is sold in plastic bottles. I will see if i find any plastic identifying logo on mine and report back. What about formaldehyde, though?
I see from dancesafe that mecke's is sold in plastic bottles (or could be sold in plastic bottles): https://dancesafe.org/sites/default/files/mecke.png
maybe it's a safer option, if you've got it

Thanks man. The identifying mark of the plastic would probably be just fine if it matches up. I don't think the formaldehyde would be a problem, and it's diluted down quite a bit in the solution as well.

Hello Folley

Check out this groovey little chemical compatability chart

http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/Chemical-Resistance

40% formaldehyde comes in as Compatability A - Excellent
Cold Concentrated Sulphuric Acid Comes in at A2 Excellent upto 48oC

Anything above 48oC and all of a sudden you have a problem.

Ie raver is lieing on sofa gets hot cup of tea and places base of tea cup on hip/pocket. reagent heats up in capilliary tube, tube melts, spills concentrated sulphuric acid and raver has potential willy damage.

Otherwise you are good to go ;)

Awesome. Love you Futura <3

I'm not planning on taking it into the rave (they wouldn't allow it anyways lol) and I'm going to take some extra precautions in case it does break, but this should work out just fine :)

anything HDPE should be safe, as long as it can seal shut. last thing you want is H2SO4 on your skin lol

HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) and PP (Polypropylene) are both excellent for strong acids and bases. I know HDPE from reading will store Hydrofluoric acid which will eat through glass! I think if I remember correctly HDPE maybe a bit longer lasting in sunlight than PP. Anyway either is very good! The the most common plastic around is HDPE. For HDPE look for the recycle triangle symbol with a 2 in the middle. PP has the recycle number 5. Make sure the lids are also the same recycle code and don't have any other different soft plastic as a seal inside the lid!

Sweet thanks guys.

Well fuck EZ test then, no need to ever get their shit if I can just make the vials for 1/10th the cost.