L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Polyamory

Bluuberry

Bluelighter
Is anyone else here in polyamorous relationships? It's new to me (6 months), I had been in monogamous relationships for 10 years, and I've been having some struggles with conflicting sides of my psyche. I was wondering if there were other people experienced in this type of relationship who may want to have a dialogue about healthy poly relationships.

Specifically at the moment, learning how to deal with jealousy. I don't want to feel jealous when I want to spend the day with her, but instead she's on a date with somebody else. I want to feel compersion for her about it and go on about my day. I just find it increasingly difficult to not be jealous as I fall deeper in love with her. Which is obviously me becoming attached which I'd like to avoid; but how to maintain a truly loving, very intimate relationship, and then not see her for days?

Any thoughts from people with experience in this situation is really appreciated.

Last edited:
hmmm nice idea in theory. but in reality i myself like to have time with my partner and not have them put me on the back burner.

doesn't sound like you are suited to this kind of thing

Yeahhh, same response from every other time I've asked anything related to poly and people who prefer monogamy respond. No offense but I know what I want out of life and I'm trying to grow, not just say "eh, that makes me uncomfortable, rather just not explore that side of life."

I'm not interested in monogamy anymore, I tried that for 10 years and it didn't satisfy me.

I'm more interested in how people -who are poly- have learned how to balance their time. Also, I'm interested in people's thoughts on secure attachment vs non attachment in a poly relationship. My girlfriend spends the majority of her free time with me, I'm certainly not "on the back burner". We had a good talk tonight in between multiple amazing love making sessions. She is so fucking supportive and understanding, what an incredible woman. I feel very secure with her, I'm not threatened by these other people by any means, I'm more just confused about why I feel jealous. Why am I jealous if I know that they pose no threat to my relationship with her?

I want to explore my connections with other people, so I want her to do the same. I'm trying to evolve to a new understanding of what it means to be in love with someone in a non possessive way. I'm just hoping other poly people can give experienced advice or at least help create a dialogue.

Last edited:
You aren't going to stop being jealous any time soon. There is damger in repressing your true feelings and if you aren't truly ok with it than you are just being cuckolded. Sure that isn't her intention because she was probably clear about this in the beginning, these feelings may build up and get worse. Just trying to wait it out and hope you can get over these feelings may put you under an immense amount of stress and you may end up getting hurt. Many people are not suited to this sort of relationship and it doesn't sound like you are. You "know what you wamt in life", but perhaps you are trying to be something you are not and are trying to be this for her sake because you do love her but she told you she wants a polyamorous relationship?

You know you better than anyone else but even I know from experience that sometimes we lie to ourselves and it's hard to accept who we truly are. I could be wrong, I could be completely wrong but it's good to look at this from all angles and try to be objective and be able to answer honestly, to yourself what you truly feel on the inside... Who you truly are. Are you being disingenuous to yourself?

I hope that you can find resolve and that perhaps these feelings will pass and that this is what you truly want but your feelings say otherwise.

If you truly knew yourself and what you truly wanted then would you be having feelings of jealousy?

Well personally I think the jealousy stems from deep seated emotional patterns after being monogamous in every prior relationship.

I'm not really sure why people who have never spoken to me before, even over the internet, are telling me that they think this kind of relationship is not for me. Perhaps I need to add more background story. I CHOSE to polyamorous before I even met this woman. It just so happened that she is poly too.

I'm not interested in repressing my feelings, which is why I spoke to her earlier tonight about an issue I was having with our poly-ness, and that's why I started this thread - to grow, not to ignore how I feel inside. I'm interested in shining a light on my emotions and discarding the ones that don't serve me, and instead living a life based on what really makes me happy.

Personally, I think my jealousy stems from old habits of attachment. I'm used to living with my girlfriend and seeing her round the clock, me and my last gf even worked the same shift together for about a year. I'm curious how other people have dealt with feelings of jealousy in poly relationships. It's bound to come up.

I appreciate that you have considered if I'm being disingenuous to myself, but that's not the case here. The only thing I try and "be" for her is healthy. That's the most important thing to her, and it's something I ignore easily. So it's a good thing that she reminds me of my true path on optimal health and spirituality.

Um, before you get too defensive, just read back what you've written. That is what people are responding to;
Bluuberry said:
I'm not really sure why people who have never spoken to me before, even over the internet, are telling me that they think this kind of relationship is not for me.
Specifically at the moment, learning how to deal with jealousy. I don't want to feel jealous when I want to spend the day with her, but instead she's on a date with somebody else. I want to feel compersion for her about it and go on about my day. I just find it increasingly difficult to not be jealous as I fall deeper in love with her. Which is obviously me becoming attached which I'd like to avoid; but how to maintain a truly loving, very intimate relationship, and then not see her for days?
i find it interesting how it has become trendy (apparently) to state "i'm poly", as if it is a sexuality.
Sure, some people can have open relationships, swing or whatever - it's nothing new - but it is an emotional minefield for even the most confident people.
If you want notes on how easy it is to have your cake and eat it too...then what others have said is probably true - it might not be something you're genuinely suited to. People get jealous when they have feelings for someone they are seeing - no matter how much they might want to fuck other people on the side.
I have friends that do poly/open relationship things. They might get laid a lot, but from my perspective they don't seem very satisfied. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not trying to be defensive and I appreciate the input. It's just that every time I bring up the idea of polyamory at BL, the topic devolves into "you should just be monogamous".

Yes, it is indeed an emotional minefield to deconstruct our deep seated ideas of what it is to have a relationship.

If anyone wants to talk about poly relationships, feel free. I didn't start this thread to be told that monogamy is better. I'm sure it works for most people but for various reasons it is not for me at this point in my life.

I'm trying to start a dialogue about how we can experience compersion for our partners. I'm not interested in debating whether mono or poly is the "best" way. Is anyone on this forum in a healthy, poly relationship?

if you begin with "i cant handle the emotional side of my polygamous relationship" what response do you expect?

some people are possessive, some aren't. my guess is its hardwired and also to do with how much you are into the other person.

i love the idea of not being jealous but emotions are not thoughts they are feelings and not easy to control

someone i have been in love with for the last 3 years who i dont even have a relationship with could make me boil with jealousy because i really did want him and in a possessive way. when he had girlfriends i would bullshit myself that i wasn't pissed off but inside i was dying with rage and frustration. same as when i went out on a date he stayed up till late to "find out how my date went" because its normal to not sleep because your friend went on a date8) or when i mentioned my ex and he shouted at me one of our other friends was like "oh you've upset him" as a joke.

real powerful heart, head and trousers love will be hard to suppress and will spawn uberpowerful emotions. this doesn't get any better for as long as you love them.

if she's going out on dates its going to FEEL like rejection

Last edited:
Yeah, you're coming off a bit defensive. If you are already experiencing these emotions, I don't think they're going away anytime soon. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you want something different because you've found monogamy to be boring. While that may be the case, maybe just being single and having fun for a while after a long relationship is what you need, and to find someone who sets off a spark in you again. Just my 2 cents. I tried the open relationship thing, but I need to be #1. I can't handle being "balanced." While it is extremely intriguing as you mentioned to balance time amongst people, it just didn't work for me, and it sounds like it won't for you either. I need to be someone's main priority, and there is nothing wrong with that because of the love I have to offer.

I was gonna make a thread similar to this. I may still but ahh. I'm glad I found this one.
I do not have experience with poly relationships. However, my partner does and that's his preference for reasons I don't really understand, but whatever. We're thinking off breaking off our monogamy and experimenting with an open or poly relationship. We haven't actually done anything about it yet, but we are discussing it heavily. I experience the same feelings of jealousy, as well as anxiety about whether or not he'll leave me for someone else. It's terrifying. But we plan on getting married and neither of us feel comfortable with the idea of being bound to one person, sexually or emotionally, forever. So I want to face that fear.

The first thing that we've done, which I think should apply to all open or poly relationships: put your foot down and declare that you NEED to be the priority. If your partner is not officially in a relationship with the other person, or is just sleeping with them, YOU need to have priority over them. If they are unwilling to turn their attention back to you, it is more likely that they prefer the other person and are straying. Of course, you need to talk to your partner first and tell them this. Express that you need attention. When my partner said that he wanted another sexual partner, I flat-out told him that I have to be more important than the other person. If I am upset, if I need him there, if I want to hang out with him, if I want to go on a date, I come first. He doesn't necessarily need to cancel plans with his other partner to be with me, but he needs to make sure that I am okay with him spending time with this other person instead of me.
If you and your partner are both comfortable with this, meet the other person. Maybe even befriend them. If you like this person, if you get to know this person, if you can feel involved, you may feel better about your partner seeing them. If you guys like each other, the three of you could even hang out together. You'll stop seeing them as 'this other person who's sleeping with my gf' and more like 'someone who is also able to make my partner happy'. Which can also encourage jealousy if you overthink it, but if genuinely care about your partner's happiness, it should make you feel comforted.

Whether or not this works depends on your understanding, as well as your partners understanding and willingness to tend to your needs. If you're still experiencing jealously weeks or even months from now, maybe you should look into therapy, soul-searching, or a break. A lot of times jealousy comes from one of two things: fear or low self-esteem. If you fear losing your partner, discuss this with them. Seek reassurance. If that doesn't work, try to build things and relationships that will be there for you if she leaves. It may seem like the end of the world, but it doesn't have to be. Especially if you have a good career, a good social life, pets, and a healthy home. If it's a self-esteem issue, write a list of what you want to work on. Set realistic goals. But remember that your self-esteem doesn't stop at the skin. You could change yourself cosmetically as much as you'd like, but if your lack of self-esteem comes from trauma, a confidence issue, or personal/mental things you don't like about yourself, you need to pay attention to that as well.

Most importantly, this is not something you can force. Like others have stated, just because you want it, doesn't mean that it's right for you. If you try or have tried everything and you are still hurting, you'd just be beating a dead horse by seeking out other 'methods' to cope with this. Sometimes there is a point where you have to walk away from a relationship for the sake of your mental health.