• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Police using drug tests for drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red ghost

Bluelighter
Police in the UK are now using testing kits to see if you're under the influence of cannabis while driving. How long after a smoke are you still going to give a positive test?

I have heard people say 8-10 hours to be safe but I can't confirm that

Depends on the test, brutha. I feel like this may be violating BLUA's no drug testing questions rule, but it also feels kind of on the fence, you know? Doesn't seem like you're trying to beat a drug test, just wanting general information... still may be disallowed but I'll take the risk of getting another infraction to help you out here a little bit:

Marijuana - single use:

Urine: detectable from 1-~7 days after ingestion
Blood: ~12hrs-~24hrs
Saliva: Unverified, but the general consensus is between ~0.1-~24hrs

Marijuana - Regular Use

Urine: 7-100 days
Blood: 2-7 days
Saliva: Again, unverified but the general consensus is still that weed-use should be undetectable via saliva testing around 24hrs after your last toke

source

thujone, my apologies if this is breaking the rules. It really doesn't feel like dude's trying to manipulate anything here.....

Thanks. I'd say it was a hr post lol. I want to know when it's safe to drive without being bullied by the boys in blue. Lol

^^That's how it felt to me, too.

The drug-test-questions are a pretty sensitive topic around here, though, so it just seemed right to put out that disclaimer on why I answered this one. :)

Apparently they're also testing for things like methadone, although testing limits are high enough to exculpate most users with a prescription from prosecution.

The cut off limit for cannabis is 3ng/l which is VERY low, meaning the test is highly sensitive and the detection time will be longer than for saliva testing used by drugs treatment agencies for example.

This really is a test that weeds out cannabis users rather than being a test which detects impairment. It's discriminatory and unfair and I wouldn't be surprised if there are legal challenges.

One interesting thing to note is that apparently the 'Drug Wipe' saliva testing kit manufacturer states in their instruction booklet (which you can get online) that the kit should not be stored above 20°C, so in a stuffy car during the summer the temperature will probably be exceeded by a large margin. Like speed camera calibration, I suspect that on this basis it could be the subject of legal challenges.

Last edited:
I think the cut off limit for cannabis is something like 3ng/l which is VERY low, so it's been designed to be a very sensitive test and hence the detection time will be longer than for other saliva tests used by drugs treatment agencies for example.

....so they're giving innocent people stricter testing, and already-proven drug offenders the higher cut-off limit?

Shit, dude, that sounds kind of backwards to me.... I understand drugged driving is taken seriously, but that just sounds kind of fucked to me.

Interesting topic, would like to get into it but as always, drug testing questions are a no go in CD. I will say that this has been a hot topic in Canada for a while and the parliament debates related to roadside drug testing are public domain, so if you're interested in the technology, promises and legal pitfalls involved then it's worth googling.

Status
Not open for further replies.