• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Police,DEA raid Johnson City,TN smoke shops.

sleeves

Greenlighter
In conjunction with the Drug Enforcement Administration, Johnson City police raided a city head shop Wednesday morning as they searched the business for synthetic drugs, according to Chief John Lowry.

Police blocked the entrance of Cloud 9 Emporium, 411 West Oakland Avenue, before 11 a.m. Wednesday as officers served search warrants at the business.

Traffic along West Oakland slowed to a crawl as drivers drove past the business. The search drew applause from one man as he drove by.

Lowry declined to give more information regarding the specifics of the search, but he said the investigation will be the subject of a press conference scheduled for 10 a.m. Thursday at the Sullivan County Justice Center.

Assistant United States Attorney Neil Smith also declined to comment on Wednesday’s investigation.

“I can’t talk about this investigation specifically, but I can say that analogs of controlled substances and the number of these synthetic drugs sold under the name of bath salts and glass cleaner and that sort of thing have actually been emergency scheduled by the DEA, so they are Schedule I controlled substances just like LSD or marijuana or a number of other illegal drugs, and the people that sell them will be prosecuted the same way we prosecute other people that sell illegal drugs,” Smith said.

Simultaneous searches were underway at other head shops in the Tri-Cities.

Read more: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=99141#ixzz1pnGOfqRo

Last edited by a moderator:
I have NEVER seen my local Police so active about anything as they are with these RC's. They hit 3 or 4 head shops just in Johnson City today. I like to see my tax dollars at work. But they may be getting a bit carried away.

Every State is close to broke, so the cops are doing everything and anything possible to get tickets or money out of the people for whatever bullshit reason they can find...

Shit the city I live in & a couple towns next over Modified the Red lights to flash through the Yellow, RED really fast, so the cops can give people tickets running Yellow lights or even now sometimes running red lights too.... These Red lights never changed that damn fast before in my life..... Damn Fascists looking to make money anyway possible

holy crap look at the bolded text. The Feds seem to be making a full court press on substances they can apply the analog law to.

We're just a small town of some 60,000 people. Maybe that's why the police is going crazy over this stuff???
There is something in the paper ATLEAST every other day about "bath salts".

Sorry about the format mods.

I personally don't really favor this stuff, but the bottom line is that it IS NOT ILLEGAL!! That doesn't stop the good old Largo Police force from arresting folks for it though.

This is an actual quote from one of the officers: But all the fuss of an organized raid was meant to send a message, according to police: Don't sell synthetic drugs, even if they're LEGAL.

WTF... What's next, caffeine, cigarettes, anything they just decide they don't like, regardless of legality...?!?!?!? I don't need the government telling me what I can and cannot put into my own body, it was mine last time I checked and I'm a big boy.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...ence-stores-as-part-of-synthetic-drug/1221193

^many more things are illegal if they decide to go all analog

^^ Yeah, but where does it stop....? Is caffeine not analogous to amphetamines in some abstract ambiguous way?

WP

^ I'm wondering the same thing. This is my state so this hits close to home. I wonder how far they will go with the analog act.

^I don't think they'd touch the N-benzyls, but stuff like 2Cs and cathinones will most likely qualify as analogs.

I personally wouldn't use the stuff either. But like you guys,I wonder where it will stop. I made a post in that same paper (that was deleted by paper) that had there not been the hype with a few idiots not being able to control themselves. We wouldn't be seeing all the press. But this is the bible belt. And folks will fight to push the "Devil" out.
It was just as much hype when they were going to put a methadone clinic in downtown. Didn't happen. Now people have to drive to NC.

They aren't seizing analogues here. They are seizing schedule I controlled substances. The article specifically says they are seizing substances that used to be legal but are now emergency scheduled.

^they're mixing their metaphors. They'll pursue the illegality of the chemicals any way they can. This statement appeared in the write-up of a press conference this morning:

Federal law, passed by Congress in 1986, states that anything having the effect of an illegal drug is outlawed in the U.S.

Of course, that's only partially true, but the implication is that the warrant was pursuing scheduled substances and analogues of scheduled substances.

I personally wouldn't use the stuff either. But like you guys,I wonder where it will stop. I made a post in that same paper (that was deleted by paper) that had there not been the hype with a few idiots not being able to control themselves. We wouldn't be seeing all the press. But this is the bible belt. And folks will fight to push the "Devil" out.
It was just as much hype when they were going to put a methadone clinic in downtown. Didn't happen. Now people have to drive to NC.

When you say NC do you mean Asheville? I know it's close and I lived there for years. I know ppl who would drive absurdly far to go to the clinics or exchanges here. They are so close in distance and yet so far in culture and lifestyle.

We're just a small town of some 60,000 people. Maybe that's why the police is going crazy over this stuff???
There is something in the paper ATLEAST every other day about "bath salts".

Sorry about the format mods.
headshops are getting new money. cops are protecting the old money channels that are losing revenue.

legality is in the background for consumers and law enforcerment and the press... it's about the money, lebowski.

That's nuts! I live just over the border in Va and it does seem that these chemicals are doing way more harm than good. However the fact remains that everyone has the right to use them, just like all other intoxicants. It is really crazy that my backyard is featured on bl. Actually then it's the third time I've seen it on here in less than 6 months. I have never seen my area listed on bl since I joined in 2004. I seriously doubt that these people would be using these crap drugs if cannabis LSD opiates or cocaine/amphetamines were legal!