View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Police: Child dies in car while father smoked pot outside

my3rdeye

Bluelighter
Horrifying

Justin Price, The Arizona Republic 4:52 p.m. EDT August 30, 2013

3-month-old boy was left in car for more than an hour in Phoenix.

PHOENIX — The father of a 3-month-old boy who died after being left in a car was believed to be smoking marijuana in front of the carwhile his infant son was still inside, according to court documents released Friday.

Daniel Gray's son, Jamison, died Wednesday after being left in the vehicle, parked at his workplace, for more than an hour. Gray, 31, was charged with manslaughter and child abuse in connection with the death, according to Phoenix police.

He initially told police that he had gone to B.T. Sports Pub on his day off to check on some things, according to Phoenix police and Maricopa County Superior Court documents.

A witness observed Gray and an employee standing in front of the parked car outside B.T. Sports Pub and assumed they were smoking marijuana, according to court documents.

When investigators questioned the employee seen with Gray, the employee admitted that Gray asked him for marijuana and that both went to stand in front of the vehicle.

That employee was unaware that the infant was still in the car, according to the documents. Gray did not tell detectives what he and the other employee were doing.

By the time the infant was removed from the vehicle, he was unresponsive. Jamison was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Gray, a kitchen manager at the pub, told police he had "lost track of time" while checking on business there.

Gray was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and child abuse, police first announced Thursday night.

Gray served about a year in prison after he was convicted of aggravated driving under the influence in 2010, spent three months in jail in connection with marijuana possession in 2006, and was jailed for two months in 2004 also related to marijuana possession.

Jamison was the 30th child in the United States this year to die after being left in a hot car, according to data provided from KidsandCars.org.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-NewsTopStories+(USATODAY+-+News+Top+Stories)

This child's death is the result of having an total idiot as a parent and should not be attributed to much to the pot. So sorry the kid died.

Absolutely agree.
In addition, the friend admitted he had been asked for a joint by the father and a passerby assumed they might be smoking but the father never said they were smoking pot. If you read carefully it sounds like story (police) is alluding to fact that they were smoking pot and thereby blaming it on,....gasp....DRUGS. but that no where does it ever actually say they were. Of course I may just be paranoid also!

It makes me sick to my stomach everytime I read or hear one of these stories about these children..

Total retard. Pot had shit to do with this. What if he had a stomach flu, would you blame the flu bug for him leaving his kid in a car in the az summer? Total fucking moron....

I agree with the posts above.
He left the child in the car. It was a terrible mistake.
But not really relevant to smoking weed.
What he did didn't matter.
What mattered was that he ignored his child!

Please tell me that a 3 month old baby isn't really aware of reality. I'm trying for this story to not make me so sad.

I don't remember a thing from my first 3 years, much less my first 3 months. Does that mean that I didn't have a consciousness and couldn't really suffer?

Any of you hear about the fat principal that left her infant baby in the car to rot in the smoldering heat while she made a trip back to the car to get donuts.. /sigh (that actually happened)

Absolutely agree.
In addition, the friend admitted he had been asked for a joint by the father and a passerby assumed they might be smoking but the father never said they were smoking pot. If you read carefully it sounds like story (police) is alluding to fact that they were smoking pot and thereby blaming it on,....gasp....DRUGS. but that no where does it ever actually say they were. Of course I may just be paranoid also!

It makes me sick to my stomach everytime I read or hear one of these stories about these children..

Agreed. Also, does it really take an hour to smoke a joint? The guy sounds like a complete imbecile. I wish they would consider the needle for idiots this dense. Unfortunately it's supposedly an accident :(

It's clever subliminal suggestion; use " child dies" in the same sentence as "pot", leading people to subconsciously believe the drug is the culprit...typical tactics of the gutter press. Interestingly, this was a method of propaganda perfected by Joseph Goebbels, and it's very effective.

Consciousness is not close to being fully formed at that age, and the child would have been minimally self-aware and would have very limited higher cortical functions. The experience is there...but awareness not as it is for us.

Please tell me that a 3 month old baby isn't really aware of reality. I'm trying for this story to not make me so sad.

I don't remember a thing from my first 3 years, much less my first 3 months. Does that mean that I didn't have a consciousness and couldn't really suffer?

Babies are 100 percent aware of reality their senses aren't quite as good. The baby definitely suffered a lot.

It's clever subliminal suggestion; use " child dies" in the same sentence as "pot", leading people to subconsciously believe the drug is the culprit...typical tactics of the gutter press. Interestingly, this was a method of propaganda perfected by Joseph Goebbels, and it's very effective.

The mention of pot could be more to due with selling papers or to spice up the story.

I disagree. The fact that he was smoking pot, if it is indeed a fact, is absolutely relevant. He chose drugs over his kid. That means something. There was not a suggestion that it was causative.

^ but if he had chosen gambling, food, sex, or gaming over his kid, it would have been essentially the same thing.
What if he had chosen to make an eggplant diorama instead of being with his kid?
Who cares what he was doing?
The moral of the story: don't choose ANYTHING over your child if there is any risk to the child's health and safety.

I disagree. The fact that he was smoking pot, if it is indeed a fact, is absolutely relevant. He chose drugs over his kid. That means something. There was not a suggestion that it was causative.

There were no drugs found, simply an allegation that he was.. an allegation that had no basis

The only 2 classifications of drugs that I could even begin to think "had something to do with making him more likely to leave the kid in the car when in his sober state he would never do such a thing" is 1.) alcohol and 2.) benzodiazepines. w0rd and I GUESS you could say opiates ONLY (and I MEAN ONLY) if he did enough to be nodded out and unconcious. And that same sentiment goes for benzo's too, you would have to have taken an insane dose that would make you "black out" even though to the outside world it looked as if you are functioning albeit totally messed up and slurring but in your head your not REALLY there, ya guys know what i mean... I am too damn smart for my own good. close it up i summed it up. DAMN!

That is fucking RIDICULOUS. 30 kids...DIED because their parents were too fucking stupid to not get them out of the goddamn car. That shit is fucking ridiculous.

And this has nothing to do with drugs. I am a heavy drug user and I have never ONCE left my kids in the fucking car. Jesus CHRIST!