View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Plugging vs oral: toxicity?

MagickalKat777

Bluelight Crew
I've wondered about this for a long time... When we plug things is it more toxic or less toxic than doing it orally? I mean... We are bypassing first pass metabolism... But considering that first pass metabolism can cause a substance to be turned into other more toxic ones... I wonder... Is it actually safer to plug? I've only done it a few times... But it always seems to be more intense, around the same duration, lower dose, but less side effects. Is that all in my head or is that generally true? Even when I plugged a pill that had MDA caffeine and meth in it, it felt far less toxic than if I had eaten it (and yes I just pushed the pill in and it was like it got sucked away and 20 minutes later I was lying on the floor being eaten by the carpet). My heart rate was lower, my anxiety was lower... I'm just curious what the consensus is on this.

To add to this... When I used to plug mephedrone it felt far less toxic than when I ate it... Which would make sense if you are looking at mephedrone's metabolites the liver makes. First pass metabolism means the liver doesn't churn out 4-methylephedrine.

What if plugging is preventing the metabolism of other nastier things?

Apparently it's just the two of us or its a discussion better suited for NPD?

It's a legitimate scientific question.

When I told my roommate that I plugged today he told me that when he had a high fever before surgery they plugged an aspirin up his ass to get the fever down faster... And it worked. No joke.

I know it's absorbed faster and likely more efficiently, that's for sure.

Yeah but wouldn't it also reduce the creation of certain metabolites? There's a reason if you were to plug alcohol up your ass that besides the burn you'd die. Your liver starts working on it right away. Some things are going to be much more dangerous other things when plugged and others are certainly going to be safer when plugged than when taken orally. It would be good to know which drugs are beneficial.

What your saying does make sense, and I can definitely attest to the cleaner feeling experiences produced by plugging... just about every drug I've plugged as a matter of fact. I'm very pro-plugging and some substances I refuse to take any other way, aMT is one that comes to mind but I also strictly plug the lesser absorbed opioids like morphine derivatives, even heroin though I do smoke it occasionally as well.

I don't know if others have had a similar reaction, but every time I would plug the APB's, they were noticably less psychedelic... every time. Also, what's weird is that different ROA's tend to drastically affect aMT's "character". Vaped is almost pure stimulant and zapped of all magic, nasal was more stimmy than psycheddlic, oral is fantastic and reminds me of Mescaline a bit, though it also comes with the "purge" and full array of side-effects, though an overall mord complete experience.

Rectal, funnily enough, still takes me three hours to peak, but the experience is far far cleaner but also less of a journey so to speak, essentially over by the tenth hour as well, despite the three hour come-up. Of course this has just been my experience, but I would agree that different ROA's change the effects. I can think of many more examples, but i'd get into tl/dr territory.

Whether or not it makes the substance more or less toxic I would think it's entirely dependent on the drug... mephedrone, theoretically, being a good example. I'd imagine there are drugs that would be more toxic had they skipped first pass metabolism... but when we get into rectal use of RC's, that's sorta uncharted territory I guess. Would rectal MDMA affect the conversion to MDA or alpha methyl dopamine? Meh, guess I could find out if these are converted by first pass, just throwing some ideas around.

Interesting topic, I hope we get some knowledgeable people to chime in, as this is something that's been in the back of my mind for a while actually.

I just discovered how bloody easy it is to plug today with my MXE earlier and I actually tripped a good 7 hours before I crashed completely with a 4ish hour plateau whereas oral never peaks past 2 hours and is totally done (besides the speech impediment) at the 3 1/2 hour mark at the latest...

Wish I would have gotten these 1mL syringes years ago man, even the stuff that doesn't go into solution gets sucked into the syringe and gets mostly injected anyway... Hell I could technically cut the tip of the syringe off because it's so thin and not lose anything doing it... I hated doing it before because quite frankly the syringe they gave me at Walgreens was too thick D:

Anyway I think that's going to be my preferred roa now... Wish I had some AMT to try it on but if I'm worrying about getting an echo done I really should avoid the stims...

I think it completely depends on what compound you're plugging and how the body metabolizes that compound.

Some drugs may become less toxic because they are metabolized into something else via first-pass metabolism, and the metabolites are active themselves. In that case preventing first-pass metabolism by plugging may make the whole thing more toxic. Usually it still increases potency because the drug taken is itself active and metabolism / excretion is just being stalled.

Other drugs may be more toxic taken orally, compared to yielded activity because for example with ketamine it is metabolized into norketamine which is lamesauce but unpleasant stuff if you ask me, that causes plenty of side effect and afaik still contributes to toxicity to the bladder, gallbladder etc.
I've always found I.M.ed ketamine to feel a lot cleaner (not that you can measure toxicity by the feeling), since you need a lot less material that way to get far. Plugging ketamine isn't really a thing but a lot of principles are likely carried over to MXE.

So IMO think of what is gained or lost by selectively picking the drug itself or the metabolites and getting a higher relative concentration.

I don't understand much about 2C-T-x metabolism but IIRC something like 20 or 30 metabolites have been identified. I believe that if you screw with ROAs too much, you throw relative amounts of those metabolites out of whack, and some of them may represent the main conveyers of sought after effects while others may represent side-effect or toxicity issues... going parenteral and skipping first-pass metabolism may or may not be favorable in those terms.

Thanks for that Solipsis, that's what I was thinking. Although I'll tell you it's much rarer to see someone have a rough time in the physical sense with plugged drugs than oral even though they are more intense but then again there are dose adjustments and other things to factor in too like less nausea by bypassing the stomach etc.

I think the 2C-T compounds are toxic in general. It would be interesting to compile data on how people who normally plugged would find an oral dose of the same drug.