• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Please Help

Mrjshades021

Greenlighter
Hello,
I currently take 60mg extended release morphine twice a day, and 15mg IR morphine as needed for cancer related pain. I take an average of 8 of the IR a day. I am sitting on a bunch of hydrocodone 325/5 from a previous prescription. My question is can I take the hydro in place of the IR morphine? I just filled my weekly pill box and don't have enough IR to make it through the week. I'm thinking ER in the morning as usual, and the hydro every 2 hours. Opinions?

Your taking eight of your prn (as needed) meds a day?? I have no idea how much cancer hurts but that sounds like a rock solid reason. You can try to subsitute the hydrocodone for morphine and im sure one of the opiate users can help you with that but in a few days your gunna have the same problem . It sounds like there is a disconnect between the amount of pain you have and how much pain your doctor thinks you have. I would see your doctor and explain to them i am stilll feeling xy and z even with the pain meds im on everyday and isnthere something we can do to reduce some of this because while the meds definitely help i still feel alot of pain

I totally agree with d1nach. I think you should discuss your current regimen with your doctor, and let them know that you're current dosages aren't covering your pain. You shouldn't be taking something that's prescribed as needed every couple hours, so you probably just need an increase in your ER morphine or a different painkiller altogether.

But to answer your question, yes the hydrocodone can be used to replace the IR morphine. We have equivalency charts here on BL that will allow you to take a comparable dose of hydrocodone. Since your pills contain acetaminophen, you may want to do a cold water extraction to avoid any liver issues.

Yes, hydro should replace morphine orally 1:1.

Like others have said you should talk to your doctor about changing your regiment. Maybe oxycodone instead of the morphine IR.

Also, if medical cannabis is available in your state it's definitely something to consider.