• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Piperine and Topiramate (Topamax) Cyp3a4 Substrate or Just Inducer?

lyricalb

Greenlighter
Hello, I have been taking cucurmin with bioperine (piperine) with my Topamax and Zubsolv prescriptions ever since I got out of a horrible inpatient hospital setting that I got trapped in. I was supposed to get tapered off of massive doses of gotu kola that I was taking with my gabapentin at doses that escalated to 1lb of c/s herb every 3-4 days, I know, absurd doses.

If you don't know, gotu kola is a gabab-ergic herb that is (probably) basically pharmacologically identical to Lyrica minus the calcium channel inhibition. I was going to get tapered off of it and phenibut that I was taking as well with the help of phenobarbital, but at the last second my mom took control because I was very deep in withdrawal and sent me to a behavioral health hospital instead where they didn't know anything about this sort of thing, and the insane 50s-style psychiatrist gave me absolutely nothing for withdrawal, took away my gabapentin entirely, LOWERED my Topamax dose, and basically did everything possible to maximize neurotoxicity while holding me against my will for 48 hours. There was an alcoholic there going through DTs with NO benzos at all given, he told me i wasn't going to have much luck. The end result was a lot of brain fog and memory problems and extra nerve damage in my arm and basically becoming a recluse in the weeks following, after some acute hyper-glutamatergic mania, which I should have taken more for, but I only took NAC, magnesium, and fish oil.

Besides asking for help in how to repair myself following this disaster, I have a more pressing question: I have been taking cucurmin with piperine, 5mg of piperine a day, to help with the neuroinflammation. But I failed a drug test for suboxone and so now I have another one coming up soon, and they gave me diazepam in the hospital. I have been taking the cucurmin/piperine the whole time since, and I have realized that I need to stop, since it inhibits cyp3a4 and it will make it look like I have been taking more diazepam and more suboxone due to its effects on the metabolism of desmethyldiazepam that is still floating around and its blocking of the demethylation of the buprenorphine.

However, I have been worried about stopping, because if it is inhibiting the metabolism of the Topamax as well, I will damage myself by stopping, or I will need to taper. I cannot find any info on if Topamax is degraded by cyp3a4. Some papers say it is degraded by a cyp enzyme, but that they do not know which one. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16250251

It apparently induces cyp3a4 as well. What I want to know is: does this make it more likely to be degraded by cyp3a4? If it is degraded by cyp3a4, I will have to taper the piperine to stop taking it, or I risk excitotoxicity. Missing my Topamax even an hour after this horrible withdrawal nightmare gives me a bad hangover-like headache and makes me feel really stupid, so even though these papers all say "primarily excreted unchanged, hardly any of it is metabolized hepatically," I can't really risk just stopping taking the piperine if it is increasing the amount of Topamax in my body.

When I look it up on simple interaction checkers with other cyp3a4 inhibitors like erythromycin, it shows that it would actually DECREASE the amount of Topamax in systemic circulation, but I just don't understand how that's possible. If it is, that would be a good thing, because I could just stop taking it immediately, go through the slight opioid withdrawal from the drop in buprenorphine dose, and know that I'd have more Topamax in my system.

Anybody have any input or can find any info on its metabolism or know if a drug inducing an enzyme means that it is more likely to be a substrate for that enzyme? I'm also trying to get my psychiatrist to prescribe me memantine to help with the post-acute withdrawal, but she is really hesitant. Do you guys think that will help? Anything else I should be taking?

with a half life of ~24 hours you would have to stop taking topamax for at least a whole 7 days before your blood concentrations reached less than 1% of original

and because you have been taking it all the time the induction of cyp3a4 by topamax will have reached a steady state... presubably still no more than 20-30% of it is being metabolized by various hepatitic routes even in that situation

i wouldnt worry too much about playing with your liver enzymes. diazepam and desmethyldiazepam etc are super super fat soluble and that means that even if you had your metabolism cranked to 150% you will still have to wait for the last dregs of the drug to make its way out of whatever fatty areas its gotten lodged into. same with buprenorphine and friends.

and just because drugs are not metabolized hepatitically does not mean they are being excreted anyway. i would just keep on taking your topamax and doing whateve rmakes you feel better. to be perfecetly honest i highly doubt you had any sort of permanent brain damage from a temporary discontinuation of a drug with such a long half life. maybe uncomfortable but not crippling.

keep getting aerobic excercise and youll improve

If I have been taking piperine every day since, will there still be desmethyldiazepam in my system when I go for this next drug test? It's 3 or 4 weeks later, but every single day without fail i have been taking 5mg of piperine. I hear piperine has a really long half life, so it probably has accumulated and irreversibly knocked out my cyp3a4 anyways, until are produced to replace them. Will the desmethyldiazepam be eliminated by other routes in this timeframe or will I still pop for benzos? Also, will the buprenorphine have accumulated to the extent that it will mess up my levels test?

I'm probably going to stop taking the piperine now, but I only have 6 days before the test, so I'm worried that I will still appear to be taking benzos and extra buprenorphine, since the diazepam should have been out by now... I wasn't thinking ahead about these consequences enough.

The thing I was really worried about was the Topamax accumulating by way of its metabolism potentially getting blocked by the piperine, since it is unknown what cyp enzyme it is degraded by, it could be cyp3a4. So stopping suddenly could cause a sudden drop. But I can't worry about that so much now if I lose my bupe prescription.

Well, I tried stopping taking it, and it gave me a MASSIVE headache that I can only assume was due to Topamax withdrawal. So I'm assuming that Topamax is actually metabolized by cyp3a4 or cyp2d6 and those enzymes are being irriversably inhibited by piperine, causing it to accumulate. However, later that night whenever I did take it, it gave me almost a bigger headache... What is going on here? I don't understand... I really just want to return to homeostasis. Is it possible that the simple interaction checkers I used were actually correct, and that cyp3a4 inhibitors actually DECREASE circulating Topamax levels? How would that be possible? Is it possible?

If I keep taking piperine at just 5mg a day up until the day of my appointment and get my levels test, any guess as to what is going to happen? Is it going to show something ridiculous like a blood level equivalent to 64mg of buprenorphine a day or something like that? Am I going to be under an interrogation light? Or is that not enough enzyme inhibition to matter very much?

EDIT: Just now I tried taking it again and it again seemed to give me a bigger headache... Which isn't an opioid withdrawal symptom. It seemed to put me more in Topamax withdrawal. How would it be possible for piperine to decrease the levels of Topamax? I don't understand the mechanism, could anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:
with a half life of ~24 hours you would have to stop taking topamax for at least a whole 7 days before your blood concentrations reached less than 1% of original

and because you have been taking it all the time the induction of cyp3a4 by topamax will have reached a steady state... presubably still no more than 20-30% of it is being metabolized by various hepatitic routes even in that situation

i wouldnt worry too much about playing with your liver enzymes. diazepam and desmethyldiazepam etc are super super fat soluble and that means that even if you had your metabolism cranked to 150% you will still have to wait for the last dregs of the drug to make its way out of whatever fatty areas its gotten lodged into. same with buprenorphine and friends.

and just because drugs are not metabolized hepatitically does not mean they are being excreted anyway. i would just keep on taking your topamax and doing whateve rmakes you feel better. to be perfecetly honest i highly doubt you had any sort of permanent brain damage from a temporary discontinuation of a drug with such a long half life. maybe uncomfortable but not crippling.

keep getting aerobic excercise and youll improve

How is buprenorphine significantly more lipophilic than other classical opiates?

buprenorphine has a logP of ~5, codeine has a logP of ~1.2. ....