• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Picture of pre-prohibition MDMA lab

SteamboatBillJr

Bluelighter
This was legal then. Is this allowed? This is from Erowid. Look at the quality of the equipment when they could openly obtain professional equipment. Do you think adulterated MDMA was less common then? This puts prohibition in another light.

lemaire_darrell_glass_flasks__i2015e0060_disp.jpg

Erowid said:
After Lemaire and Shulgin became friends in the early 1980s, Shulgin encouraged Lemaire to help medical doctors who wished to manufacture MDMA for use in their psychotherapeutic practices. Lending his assistance in this endeavor, at least 19.5 kilos of MDMA were produced in Lemaire's underground "wine cellar repurposed as an ecstasy production lab" before the medication was placed into Schedule I and he could no longer provide this service. He continued to make nonscheduled psychoactive compounds until the government instituted the Controlled Substance Analogue Enforcement Act of 1986, at which point he shut down his lab.

https://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/lemaire_darrell/

Last edited:
You cant judge a book by its cover. People can cook a great meal out of a ugly kitchen.

I think there was an MDMA superlab thread somewhere....too busy to go digging just now though

Shulgins labs look delightfully shambolic though no doubt well sticked - there might be some very good chemists and illegal labs out there - no idea since people don't publicise the fact but given things like LSD are a hard synth suspect some must look better than old dustins and hosing. Good pic though.

I should add, the United States and Israel have permitted MAPS' legal research of MDMA. MAPS uses pure pharmaceutical grade MDMA. They recently completed the last experimental session in the nearly 1.4 million dollar study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for U.S. veterans, firefighters, and police officers with treatment-resistant PTSD. A review of the most recent publications shows they haven't encountered any serious physical adverse reactions using pure pharmaceutical grade MDMA in legal therapeutic settings. Prohibition and incarceration aren't efficient at decreasing drug prevalence and reducing the harms associated with drugs use. This isn't anything new.

Last edited:
I get the whole thing about labs being cool I really do but this is nothing more then an organic synthesis lab. Sure we may have some kind of connection to the alleged end product but I could just as easily post a picture of a modern day pharmaceutical lab and state "they make drugs here" and it would be as "real" as this picture because at the time MDMA was a legal research chemical. This is made even more true by the fact it doesnt take anything more then standard lab equipment that is simply industrial scale.

When viewed from that stand point it is a below average lab just because of the date the picture was taken ;)

I argue that has nothing to do with prohibition in terms of ability to create one. Depending on where you live you can buy lab glass easily. You are right that the types creating the drugs often are only profit oriented but that is why their labs lack, not because they cant get the proper things but because those things cost money and are expensive to have seized.

Believe it or not almost anyone can order all the glassware needed from Ebay and also believe it or not the US has some loose laws on it so your not likely to be watched for it. It becomes an issue when you order reagents.

This lab looks professional. I still think Lemaire's MDMA was probably much purer than much of the modern street ecstasy.