• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Philippines police rewarded for killing traffickers as part of bounty election promis

poledriver

Bluelighter
Philippines police rewarded for killing traffickers as part of bounty election promise

A Philippines politician said he had given more than $4,000 to police officers for killing drug traffickers — the first such rewards since president-elect Rodrigo Duterte promoted bounties for slain criminals.

Key points:

Rodrigo Duterte has pledged to kill tens of thousands of criminals
He has promised to pay $28,509 to law enforcers for killing drug lords
Police have confirmed killing at least 15 drug suspects
Mr Duterte won last month's elections in a landslide after pledging to wipe out crime by killing tens of thousands of criminals, and this week said he would pay bounties to law enforcement officers for dead drug traffickers.

Tomas Osmena, mayor-elect of Cebu, the nation's second-biggest city, offered similar rewards and announced on his Facebook page on Thursday night he had paid out $4,480 to police who killed three men he said were drug traffickers.

Mr Osmena posted a series of comments celebrating the deaths of the three men, as he lashed out at the Commission on Human Rights — a constitutionally mandated body — for investigating the circumstances of the May 28 killings.

"CHR = Criminals. Have. Rights. (Even more than the real victims)," Mr Osmena wrote.

Mr Osmena described one of the slain suspects, Rowen Secretaria, as one of Cebu's biggest drug dealers.

He did not return calls from AFP news agency requesting comment, and in a previous interview refused to disclose where the money for the bounties would come from.

Mr Osmena and Mr Duterte — like all winners in the national elections — will not take office until June 30.

Duterte shocks with trash talk

Rodrigo Duterte has hypnotised his fans and outraged critics with swearing, gutter talk and threats to kill throughout an explosive election campaign.
But Mr Duterte this week urged security forces to begin the war on crime immediately, calling on them to kill criminals.

Mr Duterte announced on Tuesday he would pay $28,509 to law enforcers for killing drug lords, with lesser amounts for lower-ranking people in drug syndicates.

However, Mr Osmena's rewards are the first confirmation of a payment being made for killing a suspect.

Mr Duterte's law-and-order campaign pledges hypnotised millions of Filipinos hoping for quick solutions to the nation's deep-rooted problems of crime and corruption.

However, human rights groups and other critics voiced alarm that a Duterte presidency would lead to extrajudicial killings and a general breakdown in the rule of law.

A recent spate of drug suspects being killed has deepened those fears.

Police have confirmed killing at least 15 drug suspects, including Mr Secretaria and his group, since May 24.

However, police have insisted all of those deaths occurred because the suspects fought back, and there were no illegal killings.

Earlier this week, Mr Duterte told reporters there was justification for killing journalists who took bribes or engaged in other corrupt activities.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-...ers-rewarded-with-first-kill-bounties/7477548

Fighting violence with violence... It's depressing seeing such backwards actions somewhere in our world. I mean, it's 2016 for fuck's sake. Some parts of the world are heading towards legalization and regulation (or at least decriminalization as the first step), and then there's this. Fucking barbarians.

And if I understand it correctly, then they don't even execute convicted criminals, but suspects. I thought humans resolved that problem centuries ago.

Oh, and it's OK to kill journalists if what they do disagrees with this politician's agenda? What the fuck is this?

Last edited:
^ How fucking insane! I'm going to post the above link from Lucid...

Philippines president-elect: Public 'can kill' criminals

Philippines president-elect Rodrigo Duterte effectively said he supports vigilantism in a nationally-televised speech.

Faced with criminals who resist arrest or threaten citizens, the controversial politician suggested that it was fine for citizens to take the law into their own hands.

"If he fights, and he fights to the death, you can kill him," said the former mayor of Davao City, who was elected to the presidency in a decisive victory last month.

During the address, Duterte also encouraged citizens to use deadly force against drug dealers who threaten them.

Tough-talking Duterte, popular and polarizing

"Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun ... you have my support," he told the crowd and television cameras.

"Shoot him [the drug dealer] and I'll give you a medal."

As Philippines' likely president, Duterte vows to be 'dictator'

Bounty offered

Earlier in the month, Duterte put bounty of up to 3 million Philippine pesos ($65,000) on drug lords -- which he upped to five million pesos ($108,000) in his most recent speech.

"I'm not saying that you kill them, but the order is 'dead or alive,'" he said.

With less than a month left before he assumes office, Duterte said he will take a tough stance on corrupt cops.

"[To] all police who have cases and are wanted now, if you are still involved in drugs, I will kill you," he said, according to a CNN Philippines translation. "Don't take this as a joke. I'm not making you laugh. Son of a bitch, I will kill you."

He also demanded the resignation of three police generals, but refused to state their names publicly.

"Do not wait for me to name you in public because I will only humiliate you," he said.

Extrajudicial killings advocated

Last month, he said he wants to empower security forces to "shoot to kill" anyone that resists arrest.

He has previously suggested that he himself pulled the trigger on suspects in a kidnapping case while he was mayor of Davao.

Allegations also surfaced that he was connected to extrajudicial killings by a well-coordinated group of vigilantes, earning him the moniker "The Punisher" by Time Magazine.

Duterte himself confirmed the claims during a live TV show broadcast locally in the Philippines last year.

"Me? They are saying that I'm part of a death squad? True, that's true," he said.

The controversial figure also reiterated his views on capital punishment Sunday at a news conference, saying "if there is no fear in the law or attached to the law ... it's useless."

"What I would do is urge Congress to restore the death penalty by hanging, especially if you use drugs," he said according to CNN Philippines.

Duterte confirmed as Philippines president after vowing to sleep in

Journalist deaths dismissed

Duterte also implied last month that some journalists killed on the job in the Philippines may have been corrupt and deserved death.

"Just because you're a journalist you are not exempted from assassination, if you're a son of a bitch," Duterte said.

"Freedom of expression cannot help you if you have done something wrong," he added.

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) was quick to blast the leader for his "appalling" comments.

Ahead of his election, he was an outspoken and unapologetic candidate who, more often than not, refused to distance himself from controversy.

During the race he had refused to apologize following the emergence of controversial comments on gang rape.

A YouTube video appeared during the campaign showing Duterte joking about the 1989 rape and murder of an Australian missionary that took place in Davao City.

"I was angry she was raped, yes that was one thing. But she was so beautiful, I think the mayor should have been first. What a waste," he said, according to a CNN Philippines translation of the comments.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/06/asia/duterte-drug-dealers-lethal-force-vigilantism/index.html

"What I would do is urge Congress to restore the death penalty by hanging, especially if you use drugs," he said according to CNN Philippines.

This same kind of thing happened in Thailand under Thaksin Shinawatra. He told the police to kill drug users and dealers. Thousands of people were executed at the time. I was there during some of this. It was very fucking scary. Especially cause the cops and military control the drug trade. They just eliminated who they wanted gone. Nothing changed. The price of yaba and weed went up a bit but it still flowed. But people were shit scared and a lot of people died who were totally innocent..mistaken identity or just people the cops or military did not like. It was a fucking massacre. I think the phillipines is going to be worse. Way worse as this guy is way more gung ho than Thaksin. Scary shit

^ that's exactly what I fear is going to happen. It's the same thing that happened in the Soviet Union. You don't like your neighbour? Just say they're a dissident, and they'll be gone.

Man fuck that guy he is seriously messed up in the head. How can this be allowed anyway? It seems like he wouldn't be elected by anyone but apparently he got votes by being a cold blooded killer and promoter of death and murder of drug users or dealers without trial and then pay the cops on top of it? And brag publicly? Wow. This guy is a real dick. Fuck him and his killings... Fuck his heartless and clearly insane tactics to fight drug use. He is literally fighting the drug users. What an asshole.

With hope, eventually he will feel intense guilt and remorse after families start shaming him publicly. Regimes like this will not last long in today's world. There is too much connectivity, and too many good people out there that won't cosign bullshit like this.

With hope, eventually he will feel intense guilt and remorse after families start shaming him publicly. Regimes like this will not last long in today's world. There is too much connectivity, and too many good people out there that won't cosign bullshit like this.
This guy aint going to feel any shame. He made a joke about a nun that got raped saying because she was pretty the mayor (him) should have had the first go. This guy is not going to be crying over the victims. He admitted to pulling the trigger on people himself a few times. He sponsored death squads in the city he ran. So i think him feeling any shame is way off the track. This guy is going to start a bloodbath without trial. Just shoot any poor fucker who gets named as a user or dealer. Scary shit

And you also dont realise that Thaksin in Thailand experienced a huge approval rating because of his campaign to kill people involved in drugs. He only got disposed when he started making moves against the king and the establishment in Thailand so the military removed him. He is still in exile. His sister was then elected but again removed by the military. But the people loved him. You cant look at Asian politics through western eyes. Its a different ballgame.

Thailand and the Philippines added to the list of places I will not bring any tourist dollars.

Unfortunately this is the only way to vote against people like this.

Thailand is my favorite country on earth. The people are amazing. The food is the best in the world. It has its problems sure but it is no longer run by Thaksin. Its a military junta but life goes on. You just need to be a bit street smart to stay out of trouble. And always pay the fine on the spot. ...

I guess I was being a little rash. I love thai food. That combination of flavors is unique and amazing.

I guess I was not really thinking objectively about the problem.

I guess I was being a little rash. I love thai food. That combination of flavors is unique and amazing.

I guess I was not really thinking objectively about the problem.
Never rule Thailand out as a place to visit. Its cheap. Amazing food. Amazing peope.Culture. Scenery. Its fucking awesome. Phillipines does not compare