View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

phenylethylamine related to meth?

mands345

Greenlighter
Does phenylethylamine belong to the same family as Meth?Do both drugs share similar properties and side effects?

A huge number of drugs including stimulants, empathogens, and psychedelics are "related" to phenylethylamine in that they share most of the same molecular structure, usually with one group substituted. These drugs vary wildly in effects and side effects.

Phenylethylamine itself is metabolized so quickly it doesn't really have recreational value from what I understand.

Does phenylethylamine belong to the same family as Meth?Do both drugs share similar properties and side effects?

short answer; no.

longer short answer; sometime phenethylamines are. MDMA is a phenethylamine that has a methamphetamine backbone.

Does it have similar properties? Yes I suppose so, the biggest difference is it's not particularly addictive for most people. Seeing as that is perhaps one of meths defining features that might be big enough to say they are not similar at all.

They both release lots of serotonin, dopamine and adrenaline and that is what makes you feel that feeling. MDMA also, somewhat uniquely, releases (amongst other things) oxytocin which is partially responsible for the "lovey" feelings. That doesn't really happen with meth.

That's all I can give you I'm afraid. I am sure others will have plenty to chime in.

edit: phenethylamine itself is closer to regular amphetamine than meth amphetamine.

Last edited:
The word 'amphetamine' comes from AlphaMethylPHEnEThylAMINE. So yes, its in the same chemical family (as are many other things besides), although it is chewed up by the metabolic machinery of the human body faster than it can do anything, although I have heard of people using MAO-b inhibitors to keep it intact long enough, although this is dangerous to say the least.

Combining monoamine oxidase inhibitors with any phenethylamine is a recipe for hypertensive crisis and/or serotonin syndrome. I strongly suggest avoiding doing so.

Yes, it is. I did say it wasn't safe, merely saying people have done it.

I'd imagine it is less dangerous in the case of the use of a MAO-b inhibitor, as MAO-a is still around to mop up dietary pressors, etc.
But its relative, I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole.

I would imagine MAO-inhibited PEA to induce a pretty hellish effect.

In short, methamphetamine is a type of phenethylamine (as limpet note, alpha-methyl-phenethylamine is contracted to amphetamine). PEA (phenthylamine) is metabolised/rendered inactive very rapidly by enzymatic process within the body. Dopamine and noradrenaline are examples of endogenous phenethylamines.

Does phenylethylamine belong to the same family as Meth?
Both are in the phenethylamine family, but that's a very broad family that includes many drugs with very different effects.

Do both drugs share similar properties and side effects?
No. There have been reports of people taking phenethylamine with a MAOI so that it acts like a mild stimulant/entactogen, but that's it.*

* This is a somewhat dangerous practice since most entactogens are dangerous when mixed with MAOI's.