• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Phenobarbital injection vial~Hanging around, any ideas?

CAfurbabyMama

Greenlighter
I have a vial of injectable phenobarbital hanging around; I don’t want to inject anything, but I’m interested to know if I could find a way to make use of it. Any ideas? I’m opioid dependent and before my doctor put his prescription pad up his ass I was on 10mg Valium. I want to be safe and not have any issues medically…really I’m having a hell of a time off Valium and need something to help. Thanks guys!

Phenobarb may be one of the weaker barbiturates but still one none the less.

Go easy man if you are gonna IV some. You can do more but never less and Narcan won't save you.

I understand you are struggling without your benzos but it is most often when we are struggling that we make mistakes. It's human nature......we are anxious, hurting, vulnerable and we just want some damn relief.

Google the recommmended dose for non dependent barb IV use. And then just do a little less than that. You can always use a bit more if you need to.

Phenobarb may be one of the weaker barbiturates but still one none the less.

Go easy man if you are gonna IV some. You can do more but never less and Narcan won't save you.

I understand you are struggling without your benzos but it is most often when we are struggling that we make mistakes. It's human nature......we are anxious, hurting, vulnerable and we just want some damn relief.

Google the recommmended dose for non dependent barb IV use. And then just do a little less than that. You can always use a bit more if you need to.
I know I’m guilty of being sick as a dog a d just taking a handful of pills trying to get relief, really stupid but wd makes you do stupid shit

There is a interaction between Methadon and Phenobabital.

"PHENobarbital may reduce the blood levels of methadone in some cases, which may make the medication less effective in treating your condition. If you have been receiving treatment with methadone, adding PHENobarbital may cause you to experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms"
https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/methadone-with-phenobarbital-1578-0-1846-0.html

A starting oral dose for Epileptic's is 50 mg 2x a day. You stated you not intent to inject it. I would also take into account the usual danger of combining depressant's. Can you OD while withdrawing?

So best advise if you gonna take it would be to start titrating upward's to a starting dose for epileptic's. Just to check for the effect's, I never took a Barb myself so I am just theorizing.

And be sure to not add anymore downer's into the mix.

Someone mentioned methadone, not sure if that is what you are one, but phenobarbital definitely reduces methadone blood levels. I know from experience as I used to take handfuls of phenobarbital when I was on methadone. At the time I didn't know of this phenomenon, but I remember being half passed out on phenobarb while feeling cold and terrible (ie, opioid withdrawal).

Despite it reducing methadone blood levels, the combo is pretty risky and can result in overdose. I wouldn't recommend exceeding 120mg (you should start at half that dose).

Phenobarbital can have a nasty hangover at very dose, it has given me some alcohol hangover like headaches.

^Interesting.

I had a friend that was epileptic and in the 1970's his doctor had him on phenobarbital and dilantin . Naturally since my neighbor had the pharmacy of secobarbital and amobarbital (as well as the mix Tuinal) I figured give phenobarb a try. So I took a few pellets, felt nothing, took up to 11. Felt nothing that day but went home to take a nap and slept for 10 hours. Had a hangover that felt like benadryl. (Then again I feel the diazepam hangover is also like benadryl so don't go by me)

So to conclude phenobarbital was never a recreational barb like some of the others. Fioricet too. I know the word barbital is in there but nothing like the others. But I did try and use it a few times but has no strong effect until you sleep. Like a benzo. Where as one or two "reds" felt great. Xcept more, like a handful could kill you. But just don't do a handful and don't drink and barbs can be used wisely. We can't speak when we have something like fentanyl out in public. Sure barbs caused deaths but I feel benzos caused more misery over time.

Hi thanks for the reply’s so far, it’s been interesting to read… I’ve never injected anything and I’m definitely not down to start now; the vial I have was a stash of stuff my ex swiped from an ER or ambulance he was working for. The situation is most of my medical issues were pretty well under control until this whole locking-doctors-up bullshit started. I have seizures, wrecked body from sports injuries and manual labor, anxiety, migraines and depression. Now with all this ‘drug war’ shit I’m getting the run around from every doctor who tells me to see a certain type of doctor for a issue then being told “oh, the doctor you’re seeing should be treating you for that, they are the ones that should be handling that “. Basically I have to choose which problem I’m most likely to end up committing suicide from, right now it’s my physical pain. But my anxiety is crazy-high; I’ve never felt so close to going on the street to get ‘medical treatment’. Luckily my fear of fentanyl and fake pressed pills is stopping me from doing that. But now my pain is also so high I’m trying funny shit with my meds just to try to function like a f’ed-up human; I’m so scared to tell my pain doc about my pain level and need for an increase in meds cuz I’ve been scared I’ll get kicked out of my pain contract. Sorry for the rambling, I’m just beside myself with this stuff! I was a functioning human with friends and shit until the DEA and FDA became my new forced doctor. Ya-know the crazy thing too?…lol! I have always been 💯% compliant with my meds, never “lost pills”, OD’d, I get epidurals on a regular basis, mri’s confirming I’m fucked up, always been straight for pee tests…shiiitt, I’ve never even been arrested! I’m a fucking poster-child for doing the right thing! BTW, I’m not shitting on anyone who has, I’ve just never been busted for my dirt and quit while I was ahead. Back to the subject, I just was thinking this vial of IM Phenobarbital might be something I could utilize to help in some way for this pickle I’m in. Like Ketamine vials opened and baked into a powder; IDK, maybe I’m reaching. 😔

Save this drug for if you're ever in alcohol or BZD withdrawal

260mg IV followed by additional 130mg doses every 30 min until symptom control

Maybe poppy pods might be a good route for your pain, does wonders for me and keeps me off other stuff

Last edited:
I've ODed on barbiturates 3 times--- twice I woke up on a ventilator having lost several days. Barbs are no joke. Fine line between feeling mellow and being dead.

That said, if it's ONE injectable vial I doubt that it contains a lethal dose.

And yes, barbs are quite effective orally. Two of my three ODs were via the oral route.

I agree with the suggestion to save it for an unforseen emergency.

But just don't do a handful and don't drink and barbs can be used wisely. We can't speak when we have something like fentanyl out in public. Sure barbs caused deaths but I feel benzos caused more misery over time.
I've done many a barb and drunk alcohol in the day. The key is to take one, wait about an hour and then drink.
People would run into problems by continuing to take barbs through the night or taking them while already drunk.
Barbituates potentiate alcohol strongly. That can be a feature not a bug, if you aren't an idiot. Quaaludes felt nicer, but wore off too quickly.

I did see a post once which stated that you could do a little bit of alcohol and a lot of barbs or a little bit of barbs and a lot of alcohol but that if you did a lot of both you would die.

Taking one barb and then waiting to begin drinking and taking no more barbs always worked for me. As a disclaimer, I was a drunk and had a tolerance to alcohol.

The oral bioavailability seems to be almost 100%, so I guess there's no point injecting it - if you don't want a faster onset.

Not everyone has a phenobarbital vial, so maybe put it on top of your bookcase as a specialty collectable item. ;)