• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut Potentiation?

Oakstone

Bluelighter
I could be completely off on this, since there's no reason for it to be true, but;
Phenibut has a very mild effect in the ~250-500 mg range, and for it to have a more noticeable relaxant/anxiolytic effect, it often has to be taken in the 1.5-2 gram range. While this isn't much of a problem since it's relatively inexpensive, that's a lot of a pure drug to take for an effect.

It could be due to a few different reasons; it could just be that phenibut is, in general, not a very potent drug, and thus much more needs to be taken to achieve the desired effects. It could also be that a lot of it is metabolized (as in, made into an inactive metabolite) before it takes effect, thus oral isn't the best ROA (though pretty much the only reasonable one). Or, similarly to the previous one, it's quickly metabolized by some enzyme in a similar action to DMT/MAOs, making it that a lot more is required to "overload" the system before it can take effect.

I honestly don't know which of these it could be, or if it's something else entirely, but I'd be interested to hear what you all have heard about it, and if there's a way to make it more effective in lower doses.

R-Phenibut (which is phenibut with the r-isomer rather than an s-isomer) vs. the racemic mixture of phenibut (s-phenibut) is much stronger and works very good at 250-500mg whereas, the phenibut we get (s-phen, supplemental grade) is impure and has to be at higher dosages to work. R-Phenibut *SEEMS* to have a different effect all-together, a much more positive and noticeable effect.

Try finding r-phen and report back (noofen) and see if you stand in the same position.

edit - extension;
Most drugs that work on production of GABA or are GABA analogs, like GHB, pregabalin(not so much this one), gabapentin, GABA itself must be dosed in the 1g+ range for a decent effect.

R-Phenibut (which is phenibut with the r-isomer rather than an s-isomer) vs. the racemic mixture of phenibut (s-phenibut) is much stronger and works very good at 250-500mg whereas, the phenibut we get (s-phen, supplemental grade) is impure and has to be at higher dosages to work. R-Phenibut *SEEMS* to have a different effect all-together, a much more positive and noticeable effect.

Try finding r-phen and report back (noofen) and see if you stand in the same position.

edit - extension;
Most drugs that work on production of GABA or are GABA analogs, like GHB, pregabalin(not so much this one), gabapentin, GABA itself must be dosed in the 1g+ range for a decent effect.
Thanks! That's the first I've heard of the other type of phenibut. I'll definitely check it out.

Isn't part of the reason for needing large doses of pure GABA that it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier well?

Thanks! That's the first I've heard of the other type of phenibut. I'll definitely check it out.

Isn't part of the reason for needing large doses of pure GABA that it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier well?
I heard it doesn't reach the BBB at all but I am unsure.

R-Phenibut might be hard to find, brandname Noofen is your best bet.