• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Phenibut overdose?

Mch1

Bluelighter
Just to be clear, I'm not worried that I'm overdosing, this is just a question. Is phenibut overdose possible? Or is it like benzos with a very high ld50? Sometimes I push the dosage pretty high and wondered how safe this is.

Overdoses are rare but can, like anything else, occur. The liver in particular doesn't appreciate very large doses of phenibut. The body tolerates 10g pretty easily. Fatal overdoses could occur but probably require insane doses. I take 4g/night and have for 6 years, and though I was surpised, my liver and kidney function (per blood tests and urinalysis that I orderded) are absolutely normal (aside for blood albumin I'm the higher end of the spectrum). Will probably get an MRI soon but I'm assuming it normal. I expected elevated enzymes or perhaps a little protein in the urine, but neither occcured (which is interesting considering I drink a fair amount of alcohol night). Phenibut at these doses doesn't seem to have a significant dose on organ function. But the sample size of this study is pretty low (where n=1).

Still, avoid phenibut. I never was a fan of phenibut, I only started after quiting 900mg/day Lyrica habit. I was fine other than having severe insomnia for two months straight. I gave up and started taking phenibut. I've been too busy from work and life to quit phenibut since (despite still sleeping pretty shittily)

All I’m saying is that you would be able to get medical help for taking too much phenibut, whereas if you took too many benzodiazepines, you would OD before you had the chance to induce vomiting.

🧙‍♂️
That might be true but I believe benzos have a significantly higher margin of safety than phenibut.
If you take a lot of benzos you're likely to fall asleep, usually nothing serious will happen, as long as you didn't consume other drugs (specially alcohol, opioids and other sedatives).
I think phenibut overdoses are a bit trickier, I've seen a few reports mentioning seizures and other serious "physical" symptoms (as you mentioned).

Benzos are GABA-A positive allosteric modulators, meaning they don't activate GABA-A receptors directly but rather enhance the action of gaba (the natural neurotransmitter).
Whereas phenibut is indeed a GABA-B agonist and also a voltage-dependent calcium channel blocker just like pregabalin and gabapentin.

Last edited:
Nothing in the world will make you sicker than taking too much of a drug that works on Gaba-B. I thought I was going to die one night I vomited for two days straight I couldn't move, or I would vomit again, so I would say I overdosed. I threw it all away afterwards.

I think phenibut would kill you quicker than benzos (alone) and dose wise.

I accidentally took 10-20 mg of clonazolam and lived to tell the tale (also on 100+ mg of methadone) but my tolerances just were maxed out at the end of my drug use

you would OD before you had the chance to induce vomiting.
I just need to correct this information as it’s so dangerous.

Do not ever induce vomiting in an OD situation. You could easily aspirate your own vomit and it’s pointless. People widely underestimate how quickly it takes for pills to dissolve in the stomach, it’s a lot quicker than you think!

Go straight to the ER if you believe you’ve taken an OD amount.

Treatment for benzo OD and phenibut OD in the ER is the same. It’s supportive care until the drug has worked it’s way through your system.

As @4meSM has said, there are studies that show Phenibut is more toxic than say benzos. It’s unique in the fact it’s similar to both a benzo and an anti spasmodic. In fact it’s structurally similar to baclofen, in regards to one chloride atom.

If you have a history of seizures do not use phenibut. There are case studies showing it inducing seizures in those who have history with a seizure disorder.

In answer to the original OP, it’s hard to place OD territory, I’ve seen ranges from 2g a day for 4 days causing an OD to 20g but I’m sure it varies even wider than that. Use with caution, it’s definitely more toxic than benzos.

ive done up to 8g daily with no problems other that a little hangover.

ive done up to 8g daily with no problems other that a little hangover.
I had a relatively nasty hangover after 8g, but nothing more. Pretty nasty nausea. And, i take 4g/night so you'd think I'd be accustomed to it.

ok, it was not just a little hangover, but theres nothing compared to the hangover a solid dose of alcohol brings the next day. but i could not even think of drinking three 0,7l bottles of 38% booze what is some serious alcoholists are into. the most i had was one bottle and i regretted it the next day.

Overdoses are rare but can, like anything else, occur. The liver in particular doesn't appreciate very large doses of phenibut. The body tolerates 10g pretty easily. Fatal overdoses could occur but probably require insane doses. I take 4g/night and have for 6 years, and though I was surpised, my liver and kidney function (per blood tests and urinalysis that I orderded) are absolutely normal (aside for blood albumin I'm the higher end of the spectrum). Will probably get an MRI soon but I'm assuming it normal. I expected elevated enzymes or perhaps a little protein in the urine, but neither occcured (which is interesting considering I drink a fair amount of alcohol night). Phenibut at these doses doesn't seem to have a significant dose on organ function. But the sample size of this study is pretty low (where n=1).

Still, avoid phenibut. I never was a fan of phenibut, I only started after quiting 900mg/day Lyrica habit. I was fine other than having severe insomnia for two months straight. I gave up and started taking phenibut. I've been too busy from work and life to quit phenibut since (despite still sleeping pretty shittily)
What kind of effect do you get after getting phenibut daily for 6 years? I can't imagine its a lot.