• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Phenibut HCL - Just how caustic is it?

Cream Gravy?

Bluelight Crew
So I bought some phenibut many months ago and am just now deciding I'd like to trial it. At the time I wasn't experiencing any real GI issues; however, the past few months after I bought it, I've begun to have extreme GI distress from a large number of things, to the point that my doctor is giving me 6 month refills of alprazolam to try and keep me from suicidal amounts of pain, with the instructions to take daily, not even AS NEEDED, but just take it daily. It's the only thing that helps the pain. Thank God for it.

Anyways, I have a very sensitive GI tract is what I'm getting at; now, the phenibut I bought is in HCL form, and I've read this is very caustic and can cause intestinal bleeding, which is something I really can't afford right now.

So my question is, has anyone else with GI issues tried the HCL form of phenibut, and how did you react? Should I just throw my phenibut in the garbage and find a source that offers it in a non-HCL form? Really wana try it because I think it could really be good for my anxiety, but I'm not about to put myself through any more pain, I simply couldn't handle it.

So what do y'all think? Is it THAT caustic? Or can I chance trying 500mg?

Its not that caustic.

I've taken around 4 grams of phenibut hydrochloride every night for about 4 years and it hasn't eaten a hole in my stomach yet (and my stomach is also very sensitive). You'll be fine.

FYI i find phenibut to be not that great for anxiety. I only take it for sleep. I had been on lyrica for years and after quitting couldn't sleep any appreciable amount for two months, and finally gave up and got some phenibut. I regret the decision and should have stuck it out.

Its not that caustic.

I've taken around 4 grams of phenibut hydrochloride every night for about 4 years and it hasn't eaten a hole in my stomach yet (and my stomach is also very sensitive). You'll be fine.

FYI i find phenibut to be not that great for anxiety. I only take it for sleep. I had been on lyrica for years and after quitting couldn't sleep any appreciable amount for two months, and finally gave up and got some phenibut. I regret the decision and should have stuck it out.
My stomach isn't really my concern (though people tend to confuse stomach with gut, two different places) it's the reports of lower GI tract bleeding that worries me. That's why I'm hoping someone else who has GI pain can weigh in and say if it has caused their gut to hurt or not.

I see. Perhaps get some phenibut free acid in that case. I've personally never had any problems.

Yeah, just seems a waste to have the HCL just lie around. Suppose I could gift it to someone who has a better gut than mine.

I just don't wana spend more money >.< but I also don't wana be a guinea pig. I'm sure you've read of my GI trouble in other forums recently, it has been a long journey to getting back to a tolerable level of pain and I'm scared to throw that out of balance.

If you are that concerned and intent on not buying the free amino acid you could neutralize it with sodium bicarbonate. Put 500mg of phenibut hcl in water, dissolve, then add maybe 100mg of sodium bicarbonate. This should neutralize the solution (you can verify the extent of this with test strips). Keep in mind it will always reconvert to phenibut hcl in your stomach, but so will phenibut free acid. Either way, by neutralizing the solution at least you aren't introducing additional hydrochloric acid into your system, which may he the source of irritation that people report.

Anyone else have any input on this?

If you are that concerned and intent on not buying the free amino acid you could neutralize it with sodium bicarbonate. Put 500mg of phenibut hcl in water, dissolve, then add maybe 100mg of sodium bicarbonate. This should neutralize the solution (you can verify the extent of this with test strips). Keep in mind it will always reconvert to phenibut hcl in your stomach, but so will phenibut free acid. Either way, by neutralizing the solution at least you aren't introducing additional hydrochloric acid into your system, which may he the source of irritation that people report.
This is interesting, so just add some baking soda? I wonder how bad phenibut tastes.

Hey @Cream Gravy? , did you ever try Phenibut? Im in a similar situation, my gut is very sensitive and am scared to try it, but perhaps you tried and the expereince wasnt so bad?

^Yes I’ve tried the HCI and the FAA. Both are too acidic feeling for me and make my gut burn, the FAA less so but still not worth using in my experience.

What he said. A salad with acetic acid has propably more acid in it and pka (acid strength) is around the same.