• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut and Gabapentin taper questions

Cosmic Trigger

Bluelighter
I'm almost 63 years old and have polyneuropathy. So I've been using a combo (unfortunately) of dr. prescribed gabapentin and self prescribed (dumb I know) phenibut to treat the nerve pain. I'm now also on opiates which have really reduced my pain issues. I want to try and get off the phenibut especially and possibly the gabapentin and see if I can just use the fairly low dose opiates.

I'm a little scared of the withdrawals due to my illness issues so I really need to be careful about doing this. I'm currently using fasoracetam and aniracetam as I decrease my dose of phenibut. My questions is what is a safe taper for the Phenibut?

At my height of use I was using 3400mg per day in 3 divided doses. I was able to drop pretty fast down to 1500 mg dropping a about 300 mg every three days. Now I'm down to 1050 mg and was thinking of going down 10% per week until I'm ready to jump off. Does that seem right? Could I safely go faster? I really want to be done with this.

And I know that Gabapentin can be used for Phenibut withdrawals and was wondering if I could temporarily up my dose of the gaba if I was struggling. I'm currently using 1800 mg per day. I also have some 50mg lyrica. Could those be used?

I'm really hoping someone has a little experience with this and can advise me.

I would advise going up on the Gabapentin and pregablin, they are both good drugs and will treat you well in the long term (they are not like benzodiazepines), taper your phenibut as slow as you can (maybe over a month) and at the first sign of anything seizure like take a bunch of Gabapentin.

Thank you. I think I'll take your advice. If I drop 10% a week on the phenibut then the taper should take over 2 months. Thanks again for responding.

I took Gabapentin at 3,200mgs (two 800mg tablets 2x per day) for years, and immediately cut the dosage in half with minimal to 0 wd symptoms...I then tapered down 400mgs every 2 weeks and then just jumped off and was fine....

Good news. My plan is to taper off the Phenibut first and then go at the gabapentin. Increasing the Gaba to help with any Phenibut wds if needed. It's the phenibut I'm scared about.

Gabapentin is a mild drug. I have a prescription of 600/mg 3x/day which is 1800mg a day. I rarely take it. It is great for W/D's though, especially alcohol and benzo w/d's.

Fasoracetam is a cognitive stimulant and also protects/prevents phenibut withdrawal. It may be a great addition while trying to taper off. I'd recommend giving it a shot to help ease the reduction and possibly come off quicker. There are anecdotal reports of people quitting Pb cold turkey with fasoracetam!

I think you should get yourself on max dose pregablin or Gabapentin. There's no reason not to be at this point.

As for other non GABA drugs (ones that are not like benzodiazepines or phenibut) I also really recommend Clonidine for sleep, it's basically an adrenaline blocker, and it's pretty cheap.

On the other hand there is the new and fabulous belsomra, more expensive as there is no generic out yet but it is non addicting (studies have shown this and I can vouch personally).