• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

pharmgkb.org is a neat little website to help you better understand pharmaceuticals and your body

SuspiciousBiscuit

Bluelighter
This is a great website, and helps you better understand why certain drugs don't work/are not metabolised as well as others and offers some alternatives to them. For the uninformed, this is going to seem a little confusing as the portion of the site I am referring to is based on an individuals genotypes. Each genotype breaks down/inhibits/activates the pharmaceuticals in your body, and if you take something that may not be metabolised or activated as well as others, for some drugs there is a risk of having a toxic build up of that drug in your body which can result in death. Do some quick research behind each genotype and take a look. It's really fascinating and can help you if you know how to use it to your advantage.

Pharmacogenomics tests for your genotypes and tells you this information, but is not a widely used thing in the medical world. It has a lot of merit though, and this is going to be a game changer for the healthcare industry before long. Heres an example of me selecting two alleles for a genotype, and the corresponding drugs to that genotype are shown. It tells me what I can and cant take for (depending on the genotype) pain, mental health, etc.

and even better it shows diagrams to how each drugs is broken down, activated, whatever in the body. Very informative.

Side note, i'm not a healthcare professional or pharmacist, so I have zero expertise on any of this stuff. It's fairly simple to understand though. This is all information I gathered from talking with friends in the healthcare sector. I'm pretty fucking stupid if I am being honest.

Love this website, thank you so much for sharing! Have been just playing around with it for a bit, and this is quite cool.