• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pharmacist Concerned About New Drug Abuse Laws

MemphisX3

Bluelighter
full article with comments can be found here

Tennessee is the 2nd most medicated state in country, according to Forbes Magazine

Governor Haslam wants to toughen the states prescription drug database

A Pharmacist says rules are already tough, and addicts will still abuse system

Prescription drug abuse remains a big problem in the midsouth and now it's nationally known. Forbes Magazine named Tennessee the second most mediciated state in the country, only West Virginia performed more poorly.

Longtime midtown pharmacist Charlie Smith says addicts are a big problem for the medical community "Its a real problem, but I really don't know much we can do.", said Smith.

Governor Haslam is looking into legislation to require more scrutiny when prescribing and filling prescriptions. In some states doctors not only record what medications a patient is prescribed, but must check them to make sure the patient isn't getting too many.

Oklahoma lawmaker Pat Ownbey says if doctors use it, it works. "What we're saying is before you write the prescription, take a seconf and check what prescription that patient has been prescribed.", said Ownbey.

But local pharmacists say no matter how you change the rules addicts will find a way around them. It's really just making life more difficult for pharmacists. "I've got so many people looking over my shoulder when I fill a prescription now." said Smith.

I had no idea Tennessee was the "2nd most medicated state in the country". We have no pills mills, in memphis, due to multiple high profile arrests of 3 doctors who were well known for years to prescribe incredible amounts of narcotics.

Dr. Fearnow in 2009

Dr. Randeep Mann who was also given a life sentence for planting a bomb under the car of the head of the arkansas medical board. nine of his patients OD'd and died

And Dr. Michael Patterson was actually a suboxone doctor but was prescribing narcotics to people he knew were addicts

I actually think Patterson is innocent as I was once his patient and I never noticed anything out of the ordinary in his office. His office is actually in one of the more "uppity" suburbs in Memphis. I understand that there are some well known pain doctors out of the Chattanooga and Knoxville area but this whole "Tennessee is the 2nd most medicated state" is a surprise to me.

Last edited:
I had no idea Tennessee was the "2nd most medicated state in the country". We have no pills mills, in memphis, due to multiple high profile arrests of 3 doctors who were well known for years to prescribe incredible amounts of narcotics.

They factor in all the prescriptions for old people drugs like Lipitor and Plavix. I'm guessing that in states like West Virginia and Tennessee, a lot of the populace breeds with locals, ensuring that the gene pool stays relatively homogenous. This helps the genes that lead to diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and etc. persist with great frequency.

They factor in all the prescriptions for old people drugs like Lipitor and Plavix. I'm guessing that in states like West Virginia and Tennessee, a lot of the populace breeds with locals, ensuring that the gene pool stays relatively homogenous. This helps the genes that lead to diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and etc. persist with great frequency.

i didnt think about that. i just thought in the terms of narcotics...

Memp I dunno how that surprises you with the lack of H around these parts.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that its more likely that Tennessee and West V. and similar states have a higher incidence of those conditions for a few other reasons than the thinly-veiled inbreeding jab. They are more full of po' folks, have limited or no state-assisted health care (until you're old and on Medicare), and poorly educated in good health. While I acknowledge that there is a genetic component to each of those diseases, I think lifestyle has a whole lot more to do with them than a few generations of breeding.

I certainly wasn't talking about incest. I meant the limited amount of migration into those states, 7 of which (West Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina, Mississippi) are in the American South. The xenophobia that is so prevalent in that culture causes the majority of white southerners to mate with white southerners whose parents, grandparents and etc. mated with white southerners.

I'm currently in bumfuck east Tennessee, Johnson city, and to say it has a thriving pill scene would be an understatement. Everyone here loves their opana, morphine and dilaudid. And apparently don't mind paying double what they are worth.

It kills me all these people that shoot pills around here and never even seen H before. They have no clue.

Only 2 more weeks before I'm back in Atlanta with a fat bag of that heavenly.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that its more likely that Tennessee and West V. and similar states have a higher incidence of those conditions for a few other reasons than the thinly-veiled inbreeding jab. They are more full of po' folks, have limited or no state-assisted health care (until you're old and on Medicare), and poorly educated in good health. While I acknowledge that there is a genetic component to each of those diseases, I think lifestyle has a whole lot more to do with them than a few generations of breeding.

lol i cant really understand your whole post...but if you are saying that its because of inbreeding, than you sir, are full of ignorance. also about the state-assisted health care....THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE on Medicare, old and young. the state assists plenty of people and i dont think we are any worse/better off than any other state when it comes to education about good health.

your entire post is void.

lol i cant really understand your whole post...but if you are saying that its because of inbreeding, than you sir, are full of ignorance. also about the state-assisted health care....THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE on Medicare, old and young. the state assists plenty of people and i dont think we are any worse/better off than any other state when it comes to education about good health.

your entire post is void.

Its sad that you are going to argue with me when you readily admit that you didn't understand my post. I was saying the exact opposite. I thought that 235... was saying that those things were likely caused by inbreeding and was arguing with him, saying that that was stupid. It turned out that he didn't mean that at all, but still, I still don't see how you could get from my post that I was saying that there is inbreeding.

As for the rest, I'm from Tennessee and have lived here all my life. My post specifically EXCLUDED Medicare, because it is a federal program, equally available to people in all states. I was saying that TENNCARE is a poor program compared to many other states' programs. As for the health education...you're from Memphis, one of the THREE urban (barely) areas in all of Tennessee. So where you live, you are probably right. But the vast majority of Tennessee is a rural wasteland (in terms of education). Those are the people I meant have poor education. I don't see why you took my post as an attack. It was an assessment of all the factors that I believe would contribute to people having those conditions in Tennessee and other poorer, southern states.

I think you said all that needed to be said in the first 8 words.

I'm currently in bumfuck east Tennessee, Johnson city, and to say it has a thriving pill scene would be an understatement. Everyone here loves their opana, morphine and dilaudid. And apparently don't mind paying double what they are worth.

It kills me all these people that shoot pills around here and never even seen H before. They have no clue.

Only 2 more weeks before I'm back in Atlanta with a fat bag of that heavenly.

lol at your name.. "BluffBoy"