• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Perfect

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Is anything truly perfect? Is perfection subjective? What about a perfect imperfection, or being perfectly imperfect?

I'm leaving this intentionally a bit vague because I think this could go in a lot of directions. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The totality of existence is perfect. An imperfect existence would not be able to exist.

I win :D

I think there are both... The perfection can't be exist without imperfection... Otherwise it would be just normal? They are like the sun and the moon, the black and white... They depend on each other...
I think so :\

Absolutes, such as the ideal of perfection, can only really exist as a concept of pure thought. The dualistic nature of our reality will begin introducing opposing elements, at any lesser level of contemplation.

As I get older, I find the question of perfection vs. imperfection more and more irrelevant, as I notice that the quest for perfection tends to be a sign of deep insecurity and control freaks.

People and things just are as they are and don't need to be qualified in this way. Even as far as God or the Cosmos are concerned, I can't be bothered.

That said, perfection as an ideology can be a positive driving force for development, as long as it's understood that it will never be attained. It's kind of like how a lot of people have a secret inner dream world that fuels their forward momentum, even though many of those dreams will never become concrete realities. Sometimes it's the pursuit that matters and not ultimate achievement.

But when people start having nervous breakdowns because they can't hold their perfect shit together, that's when there are major problems.

"That said, perfection as an ideology can be a positive driving force for development, as long as it's understood that it will never be attained. It's kind of like how a lot of people have a secret inner dream world that fuels their forward momentum, even though many of those dreams will never become concrete realities. Sometimes it's the pursuit that matters and not ultimate achievement.

But when people start having nervous breakdowns because they can't hold their perfect shit together, that's when there are major problems"

well said foreigner, I reckon you hit the nail on the head with that one

materiel perfection? impossible as subjective ''perfection'' will change over time.

love, stillness of mind, compassion is imo perfect state of mind that can and need to be cultivated and developped and eventually perfected.

Last edited:
I believe it's completely subjective. Everyone finds beauty and flawlessness in different things. It would be a true anomaly for everyone on Earth to believe one thing to be truly flawless. Everyone has different perspectives.

It's more of a matter of emotion, the feelings that it inspires and what it means to you.

Therefore, perfection both does and doesn't exist :0 So in a way I both answered your question and didn't :)

But when people start having nervous breakdowns because they can't hold their perfect shit together, that's when there are major problems"

It's funny you should mention that because to a lot of people I probably seem like a lazy dirtbag a lot of the time, but the truth is I believe it's because I'm so ocd and a perfectionist at least partially. It's exhausting to hold yourself to such a high standard for even simple things sometimes. Not that I believe people shouldn't, but I guess I should say overly-high.

Imperfection is the mismatch between the ideal and the actual. Hence it's subjective in what is ideal, and objective in the fact that there is a mismatch, although the magnitude I suspect is subjective.

Many would say that god is perfect, the only perfect thing. Others might say that existence itself is a form of perfection.

I'm trying to draw up the ontological proof. It went something like "if you can imagine a perfect god, then such a god exists". By that virtue though we might as well argue for the existence of pink unicorns.

I think Foreigner brought up at least one great point: that perfection striven for, with the knowledge that it probably can't be obtained, can be a healthy way to get what we want out of the world.

As for an imperfect existence not being able to exist, implicit is the idea that existence is perfection. Some might go on to say that existence is far from perfect.

Ho, isnt this argument already known?

A variation goes like,
1.imagne a perfect god
2. Since he is perfect, he exists
3.otherwise he is not perfect

Yes I believe that's along the lines of the ontological proof of the divine. But it centers on him existing simply because he is in mind.

I have a sort of different way of thinking about perfection. I feel that anything can be perfect in an individuals eyes.
Perfection is varying in what people consider it is. I say this because some say nothing or no one is perfect. But others say
Certain people can do no wrong in their eyes like their family or a person they look up to. Me personally when I fall in love
The person I am in love with starts to seem perfect to me especially looks wise. Anything or anyone can be perfect depending on who
Is looking at them or knows them.