• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Percipitated Withdrawl - Naltrexone

SecondChances

Greenlighter
My boyfriend has a past use of IVing dope, he is taking the steps to recovery but it's been hard for him. He's relapsed more than I can count since he first went to see a doctor. Needless to say, it's never an easy road, and please, before any of you judge him you have to know I was also an addict but have been clean for over a year and I won't give up on him because I know that feeling of being alone in it, I went through it myself. I've been where he has been but my circumstance were a little different. Regaurdless, he last used 36 hours prior to taking a 50mg naltrexone (which he got from his doctor weeks ago, but finally made the decision to take the step in the right direction) and I'm almost 100% positive he's going through p/w. I went cold turkey when I finally got clean, and I have been through p/w before but my situation was different. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through this via naltrexone and not waited the 7-10 days the doctor told him to be clean before taking this pill. He's never been through p/w before and I know he feels like death. It's only been about 2 1/2 hours since he ingested the naltrexone pill and I can tell it's getting worse. Any experience/advice on how long it may last and any ways to ease his discomfort would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, it's too late to advise against taking the Naltrexone obviously, so we'll work on comfort, like you asked. The withdrawal syndrome should subside within a few more hours. The only thing that's really going to make it better is medication. Do you have anything at your disposal?

Clonidine
Gabapentin
Benzodiazepines

Anything of that nature in the house?

Then I would administer that shit. Provided he's a healthy individual, a Benzodiazepine shouldn't be harmful in any way.

I went through exactly this experience. Sorry to hear it's happening to him.

Kief knows way more about this stuff than I do, but I'm afraid that in my own case, things didn't end quickly. When naltrexone precipitated WDs for me, things eased up a *little* bit after a few hours. But after that, I continued to have full-blown withdrawals for my usual 7 days or so. After those first few hours, the symptoms were just like normal WDs, but at the level that I associate with day 2 or 3 of a normal detox for me.

I also agree: bring on the xanax. That really helped in my case b/c the severity and the immediate onset of the symptoms scared the hell out of me.

The one bit of silver lining I can offer is this... once I finished detoxing, I returned to the naltrexone, and it's been a godsend for me. After countless failed attempts at quitting heroin, I'm finally at exactly 8 weeks clean today. And I attribute at least some this progress to having naltrexone in the mix. Obviously, everyone's different. But I have found naltrexone to be extremely helpful. I hope your BF does too!

I went through exactly this experience. Sorry to hear it's happening to him.

Kief knows way more about this stuff than I do, but I'm afraid that in my own case, things didn't end quickly. When naltrexone precipitated WDs for me, things eased up a *little* bit after a few hours. But after that, I continued to have full-blown withdrawals for my usual 7 days or so. After those first few hours, the symptoms were just like normal WDs, but at the level that I associate with day 2 or 3 of a normal detox for me.

I also agree: bring on the xanax. That really helped in my case b/c the severity and the immediate onset of the symptoms scared the hell out of me.

The one bit of silver lining I can offer is this... once I finished detoxing, I returned to the naltrexone, and it's been a godsend for me. After countless failed attempts at quitting heroin, I'm finally at exactly 8 weeks clean today. And I attribute at least some this progress to having naltrexone in the mix. Obviously, everyone's different. But I have found naltrexone to be extremely helpful. I hope your BF does too!

Thanks for your feedback and sharing your experience, I hope this is one step closer for him in his recovery! Congrats on being 8 weeks clean!! Keep it up! I've been through p/w myself twice but my situation was different, I took suboxone too early and I went through what felt like 5 days in 18 hours and after that I didn't feel any wd's, so I didn't know if this situation would be similar or not. But you are correct, everyone is different. I guess it can only get better from here!

So my boyfriend wants to know when he can take the Naltrexone again, I guess he wants to stay on that path (which is great).

^Good for him. Can I ask what symptoms he's currently experiencing and how intense they are, in both your opinion and the opinion of your boyfriend? Also, what's the exact timeframe in terms of last Opioid, last Naltrexone etc. I know you've already said and I could deduce just by reading the threads, but I would love it if you could just tell me directly! ;) That's great that he's deciding to keep on the path, we'll just make sure in the future that he waits the proper amount of time before dosing agonists.

Great to hear how committed he is. I think that for highly motivated patients, naltrexone can really be great. I hope it helps him?

^Good for him. Can I ask what symptoms he's currently experiencing and how intense they are, in both your opinion and the opinion of your boyfriend? Also, what's the exact timeframe in terms of last Opioid, last Naltrexone etc. I know you've already said and I could deduce just by reading the threads, but I would love it if you could just tell me directly! ;) That's great that he's deciding to keep on the path, we'll just make sure in the future that he waits the proper amount of time before dosing agonists.

Last used this past wed, took naltrexone on Friday am and went into instant percipitated withdrawl, for about 6-8 hrs he had serve vomitting, diarrhea, sweats, chills, runny nose, restless legs, aches. Saturday was mild wd symptoms,mostly aches and spasm and sneezing and runny nose. Today (sunday) feeling much better but anxiety is high. Would it hurt him to take a quarter of a naltrexone tonight or maybe tomorrow? I'm wondering if it would send him into pw again?

Great to hear how committed he is. I think that for highly motivated patients, naltrexone can really be great. I hope it helps him?

Can I ask how long you waited until you took another naltrexone pill after your pws?

I waited five days after taking my first dose of naltrexone, just to be confident that I wouldn't repeat the pWDs. So that made seven days since my last heroin.