• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Paxil and Kratom

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
I'm currently taking Paxil (20MG) once daily. Does anyone know if Paxil diminishes or counteracts the effects of kratom?

I would say they both might increase each others effects, both being potent inhibitors of cytochrome P450, an enzyme in our gut that metabolizes drugs and toxins. The combo, I think, especially if taken for a long time, might present with some negative side effects due to the fact of chronic inhibition of this enzyme and if taking bunch of other stuff on top.

Kratom has some serotonin activity but it's quite negligent and usually the interaction with P450 or opioid receptor agonism are considered when talking about kratom. Another thing is that commercial kratom comes from third world countries that allow for use a lot of chemicals that are banned internationally, thus creating a high risk of having toxic element along with it - inhibition of P450 will make those toxic elements a lot more toxic.

On the upside, I dont see any immediate danger that occasional use together might present.

I have combined kratom with natural SSRI - Sceletium Tortuosum and it was fine experience, but its a different active ingredient with slightly different mechanism of action.

Due to the lack of research on kratom, there’s no way to get a definitive answer to this. However, even though there doesn’t appear to be any clear interactions or contraindications, I tend to think kratom reduces the efficacy of antidepressants in general. Kratom has seemed to come with a sort of rebound depression, especially once it becomes a dependency. This would logically make the antidepressants’ job harder, so to speak.

Due to the lack of research on kratom, there’s no way to get a definitive answer to this. However, even though there doesn’t appear to be any clear interactions or contraindications, I tend to think kratom reduces the efficacy of antidepressants in general. Kratom has seemed to come with a sort of rebound depression, especially once it becomes a dependency. This would logically make the antidepressants’ job harder, so to speak.

Truenamebrand makes a very valid and important point. Kratom is the name of the plant species in its entirety, whereas the substances which produce the effects of said plant are Mitragynine -> 7-Hydroxymitragynine. I note this, because if you intend to do further research on your own, you might find more clinical/scientific information by searching directly for the active metabolites.

The thing with SSRI's, is that many of them exert a range of different effects upon the Cytochrome P450 system, the system which is responsible for the majority of all drug metabolism in the Hepatic system. While many SSRI's do exert these effects, some do so fairly negligibly like, say, Escitalopram (Lexapro) and some, like Fluvoxamine (Luvox) exert powerful and potentially dangerous interactions re: Fluvoxamine/Methadone interaction, for instance.

You shouldn't have to worry too much about the interaction between Paroxetine and Mitragynine if we're treating Mitragynine just as we would treat any other Opioid, however, as I and others have mentioned, these drugs are not in the Pharmacopeia of most (or any?) nations, hence, there is not a lot of reliable information available and not a lot of active research being conducted. Sadly, I feel that most intellectual energy is being devoted to getting Kratom and its metabolites "scheduled" and eventually banned.

Kratom (an Opioid analgesic widely available and considered effective), is the type of thing that makes Big Pharma antsy. You can bet that they are a driving force in getting the substance banned.

As others have said, without a strong body of research on kratom, it's tough to say. From personal experience, however, I've found that kratom and SSRI's (I'm on zoloft/sertraline 100mg/day) get along just fine.

Keif, well stated regarding the available information on Kratom. Have you seen the media attention in the past few days particularly on CNN that Kratom has been receiving on putting more info and research into Kratom being used for ORT? Very interesting times indeed for the plant!

Well, I can now speak from experience and say that Paxil does little to disrupt the effects of kratom. Although, I have to dose upwards of 20 grams to get the most effective experience. But I've been having to dose that high even before I started taking Paxil. When I first started dosing, 6-8 grams were all I needed. I only dose once every week or two, so I know it's not a tolerance issue. I don't think it's a case of inferior kratom either, because the companies I order from get rave reviews and I have been floored on several occasions. So...I don't know.

I agree with all of this. Tell the doctor or psychiatrist that prescribes the Paxil to you about how you take Kratom and any and all other drugs, and any herbal supplements you take both legally and illegal. You will not get into legal trouble for doing this.