Mental Health PAWS from mirtazapine?

telepathetic

Bluelighter
I took mirtazapine on and off for years. After staying on it for 6 months, I had horrible WD. It went away, though I still struggle with depression and anxiety. If I take one to sleep, once or twice every other month and no more, I feel much better the next day. This always happens. I feel balanced, calm, happy.

Could it be stopping paws? Am I still dependent ?

It's more likely that it is because your symptoms of depression and anxiety are largely being left untreated, not actually true PAWS. Although it might feel like PAWS and have a lot of similar symptoms.
If you're suffering with chronic depression and anxiety you should see your doctor and discuss treatment options.

I was on it for many years at a pretty high dose (60mg/day) and actually didn't notice a pronounced withdrawal, though i tapered slowly. I don't even remember what the withdrawal felt like, i think it felt like antihistamine withdrawal. This was years ago.

Generally though, if you experienced severe withdrawal from something you should avoid taking it again even occasionally.

I found a bottle of pills last year stashed away and took it to help me sleep (i dont sleep well, never have) for a bit, got hooked a bit in the sense that i needed it to sleep. After a week you can start to feel the antidepressant effect. Definitely felt a rebound when i ran out.

It is such a potent antihistamine. Sort of feels like you're dreaming during day time hours, a general dreaminess to it. I think it might add to the antidepressant effect. I still take 75mg of diphenhydramine, again i dont sleep well.

In any event, avoid it.

You won’t get dependent if you take it once, twice, or even three times. Your body will get dependent if you take it for around a week. So as @negrogesic said, I’d stay away from it if you’re going to take it for that long.

However, it’s not really an ‘addictive’ drug, so IMHO I wouldn’t worry about taking it once in awhile. I take antipsychotics and strong antihistamines to fall asleep after acid trips, and I never get ‘addicted’ to it. I never say “hey, I’m having trouble sleeping tonight let me take some trazadone.” Because it’s not pleasurable at all. In fact, it sucks the next day because I’m so groggy.

As for PAWS, it’s probably not that the medicine is stopping it. It’s probably that the medicine is treating your anxiety and depression. Go see your doctor and discuss psychotropic treatment options if you want to feel this way all the time, just keep in mind if you ever want to come off the medication you will have to go through WD again.

Yeah, I don't worry to get dependent after one use, but that fact I get some benefits from a single dose makes me wonder if my brain chemistry is still dysregulated from it. It should take at least a week like negrogesic suggested, no?

It's more likely that it is because your symptoms of depression and anxiety are largely being left untreated, not actually true PAWS. Although it might feel like PAWS and have a lot of similar symptoms.
If you're suffering with chronic depression and anxiety you should see your doctor and discuss treatment options.

I've tried a lot of options. I am currently trying to stabilize enough to begin to use psychedelics again after 2 years - particularly to go to an ibogaine center.

I take mirtazapine 15mg almost every night and have done so for at least ten years. If i don't take i can't get sleep but that's it. Though I can easily substitute it for seroquel, hydroxyzine, doxepine or trimipramine (all potent sedative antihistamines) and be fine. I don't think it's mirtazapine that causes the issue. I would bet n3ophy7e's assumption is the right one.