• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pat Robertson Says Marijuana Use Should be Legal

Bluelight Crew
Of the many roles Pat Robertson has assumed over his five-decade-long career as an evangelical leader — including presidential candidate and provocative voice of the right wing — his newest guise may perhaps surprise his followers the most: marijuana legalization advocate.

“I really believe we should treat marijuana the way we treat beverage alcohol,” Mr. Robertson said in an interview on Wednesday. “I’ve never used marijuana and I don’t intend to, but it’s just one of those things that I think: this war on drugs just hasn’t succeeded.”

Mr. Robertson’s remarks echoed statements he made last week on “The 700 Club,” the signature program of his Christian Broadcasting Network, and other comments he made in 2010. While those earlier remarks were largely dismissed by his followers, Mr. Robertson has now apparently fully embraced the idea of legalizing marijuana, arguing that it is a way to bring down soaring rates of incarceration and reduce the social and financial costs.

“I believe in working with the hearts of people, and not locking them up,” he said.

Mr. Robertson’s remarks were hailed by pro-legalization groups, who called them a potentially important endorsement in their efforts to roll back marijuana penalties and prohibitions, which residents of Colorado and Washington will vote on this fall.

“I love him, man, I really do,” said Neill Franklin, executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, a group of current and former law enforcement officials who oppose the drug war. “He’s singing my song.”

For his part, Mr. Robertson said that he “absolutely” supported the ballot measures, though he would not campaign for them. “I’m not a crusader,” he said.

That comment may invite debate, considering Mr. Robertson’s long career of speaking out — and sometimes in ways that drew harsh criticism — in favor of conservative family values. Recently, he was quoted as saying that victims of tornadoes in the Midwest could have avoided their fate by praying more.

But advocates of overhauling drug laws say Mr. Robertson’s newfound passion on their issue could help sway conservative voters and other religious leaders to their cause.

“Pat Robertson still has an audience of millions of people, and they respect what he has to say,” said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, which advocates for more liberal drug laws. “And he’s not backtracking. He’s doubling down.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/u...marijuana.html?_r=2&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Amazing.
He actually said something reasonable.
Contrasted with his idiotic, evil, uninformed, ignorant, closed-minded comments on everything else in the world, this is a huge shock.

wait just a hoot-N-nanny second.... Didn't this guy already call for the legalization of medical pot on his stupid tv show like a years ago?!?!? i remember i saw it on here (BL)! But on a more serious note. I am glad this kind of guy is promoting the legalization of marijuana and talking bad about the war on drugs...especially sense so many retardedly brainwashed people wash his tv show and have probably grown up their whole lives thinking pot is just as bad as heroin...

Wowzers.........for as conservative as this guy is, this is a huge shock to me to see Mr 700 club say this :)

We should have an icon that has a smiley face with a joint hanging out of its mouth. LoL!

goddamn never in my life would i have thought to here this guy say! wow im at a lost for words....

my bet is that he either has had a family member who has been arrested for cannabis or someone close to him has been given the permission by their doctor to use cannabis for some ailment or another. That or the man has true compassion and can actually see that this plant cause zero harm compared to the legislation behind it and realizes what a terrible disaster that legislation has been.

Methinks he has some financial interest in decriminalization or re-scheduling (or whatever). Several conservatives have come forth supporting legalization--but always the kind that would give Big Pharma a monopoly on all kinds of patented pot potions while keeping growing/possession/selling illegal for the rest of us. The kind of legalization that growers and MMJ shop owners actively rally against.

Or maybe I'm just a skeptical beeyotch. If he truly has no ulterior motives, good for him. Way to be sensible.

maybe this is why he did it..

bing homepage said:
Popular Now

•Pat Robertson
•Unemployment rate
•Mario Batali
•Disco Inferno singer

EDIT: Wrong Pat asshole.

Wow, thats surpirsing, did he like, take a look at the bible and see that it says nothing whatsoever about drugs except to say pretty much dont' be an asshole about how much you drink?

Pat Robertson does not speak for all Christians

I read with dismay the recent news that Pat Robertson has endorsed the legalization of marijuana.

Being a Christian and a former state and federal drug prosecutor, I take issue with Robertson’s stance on the legalization of marijuana. I disagree with Robertson that the war on drugs costs too much money.

While no war should be taken on without considering the costs of that war, we must consider what is at stake if we do not fight the war on drugs. During my experience as a prosecutor, I have not encountered anyone whose success in life was enhanced by the use of marijuana or any other recreational drug. On the other hand, I have encountered hundreds whose lives were decimated by the use of marijuana.

Mr. Robertson has fought bravely for many years for the hearts and lives of the families of America. Perhaps at age 81 he is too fatigued by the battle to see that the battle has not been lost but is still ongoing, and that it is worth continuing the fight.

Mr. Robertson, if you are tired of fighting on behalf of our children, our families and our country, hand someone else your sword and let them carry on the battle to the enemy!

http://www.nmpolitics.net/index/2012/03/pat-robertson-does-not-speak-for-all-christians/

During my experience as a prosecutor, I have not encountered anyone whose success in life was enhanced by the use of marijuana or any other recreational drug. On the other hand, I have encountered hundreds whose lives were decimated by the use of marijuana.
it's sort of like beating a woman, and then blaming her. you, as the prosecutor, decimated those hundreds of potentially bright futures.

how can prosecutors live with themselves?

i want a study done into the mental health of prosecutors...

Well as a federal prosecutor I'm sure you have a full understanding of the drug culture and its members. I'm sure you have lots of drug using friends, who also are representative of the average drug experimenter\user, and who feel they can discuss their experiences with an honest open manner. As a fellow christian I would love to know how the Christian faith prohibits drug use. I only know of verses that explain moderation in alcohol consumption. Why would Jesus have a different view toward other drugs and where in the Bible do you find evidence of this? I'm not trying to be a jerk I really would be interested!

Last edited:
so sad seeing an elderly person starting to suffer from re-dementia... seeing him slide into sanity and logical thought is scary

Mr. Robertson, if you are tired of fighting on behalf of our children, our families and our country, hand someone else your sword and let them carry on the battle to the enemy!

This is exactly the kind of rhetoric that drives absurd and illogical policies and causes so much harm with the drug war. The 'enemy' is his neighbors, his countrymen, the members of his community, his family and friends and children.

Not that I would wish addiction on anyone, but I think the world would be a better place if a lot of these people had someone close to them go through an addiction, so they can see that addicts aren't monsters or immoral hedonists and are just normal people with a health problem.

Not that I would wish addiction on anyone, but I think the world would be a better place if a lot of these people had someone close to them go through an addiction, so they can see that addicts aren't monsters or immoral hedonists and are just normal people with a health problem.
i think a lot of them do have people relatively close go through addiction. and people in power also know people with all sorts of kinds of pain, of course.

and they know these events are worse when you don't have money... or is that what they lost sight of?

do they make laws partly based on the feelings of those they know, but everybody they know has plenty of money, and so the people they know will do fine no matter what laws are passed? so, many in power are simply incapable of empathizing with the poor. they are thus able to justify imprisoning poor addicts while protecting themselves and people they know who are *also* addicts.

so maybe politicians rather need to get to know and appreciate people who lack money... doesn't seem likely.