• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Parking Tickets From Private Companies

I am dealing with that company now also! This is the reply email I got after appealing the decision. What happened with your situation? Did you pay, go to collections, anything happen?

My problem is this is a private company, blatantly charging me out the ass, when I don't even know if they actually have the authority to do so.

Here in Ontario, Canada. They do not have that authority unless the person issuing it is sworn as a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer. This can be obtained by licensed security officers working for an agency which has obtained the required permits, and the security officer must also take training from the Police service(s) which has usual jurisdiction over the area(s) they are authorized tag vehicles in. They are issued a ticket book/machine by the police agency and the tickets themselves appear as identical to the ones issued by Officers employed the City.

Anyone can stick any sort of paper they want on your windshield, but if that paper implies it's a Parking infraction notice in the usual sense, it could be seen as impersonate peace officer. As in order to certify a notice of offence and lay a charge, at least here, one must be sworn as a peace officer for the purposes of the specific act the offence is found in, or else as a Police Officer for the purposes of Sect 2 of the Criminal Code (Federal Police agencies) or The provinces Police Services Act (Provincial and municipal police).

The thing that makes these private tags questionable, IMO, is that a tag issued by Police Officer/Parking Officer/MLEO sworn security officer gives you the right to bring that charge before a Court of competent jurisdiction, and dispute the charge in front of a Judge/JP and call the issuing Officer to the stand and question them and examine the evidence they have of the offence, as well as take the stand in your own defence. The judge can, and frequently does issue a finding of not guilty for a variety of reasons. Even when a finding of guilty is entered, the judge frequently will reduce the fine amount and/or give you an extended period to pay.

You don't get this with these kind of things. It's completely arbitrary, with no chance to defend yourself or have it examined by a disinterested 3rd party. You either have to pay, or have your credit fucked up.

That is, to me, not just.

This company sucks, i got a fine from them also in denver. I paid 16$ to park all day, and happened to have my passenger side on the white line. They gave me a 75$ ticket for "taking up 2 spaces", it's such a joke, complete scam. My car is a small honda, and it was literally parked on the line and no further over. I emailed them on monday to say this is obsured, and its now friday with no response. This place is purposely trying to run a scam. I took a photo, but what really pisses me off is the fine is more than it would cost for me to just have purchased the spot they claim i took up (another 16$). That's what blockbuster did, charged more for their late fees then it cost to rent the movie for another day. They ended up with a class action lawsuit and lost.

^ good luck in court.

can we see the picture you took?

alasdair

yo, queenbee, did you pay the ticket? what happened?

if you type "private parking lot ticket" into google, "private parking lot ticket denver" is the top suggestion. and if you search it, this thread is the top result. we're well seo'd to recruit angry commuters in denver.

JM2015. quit emailing them. they are not going to reply, "never mind." don't contact them at all. let's see if you can really end up in court for parking on the white line.

when i got i ticket for parking without a pass -- wrong lot, honest mistake -- i wimped out and called the company. the customer service representative was on a script and revoking the ticket was not an option. but after keeping him on the phone long enough, he said he'd have his manager call me. the manager and i settled for the cost of parking that day. leaving me really curious what happens if you say fuck it.

^ good luck in court.

can we see the picture you took?

alasdair

I tried but I don't see any way to upload an image on this forum, only a way to specify from an existing url of an image already uploaded to the web. Is it possible?

^ upload it to anyone of the 10 million free image hosting sites on the web then use [img][/img] tags to post the url and embed it in your post.

alasdair

My case was dropped. I sent them the photo of my car on the line of the spot, told them this was border line fraud, and that i would seek legal action if necessary. They sent me a short email a few days after saying my case would be dropped and no fine would be enforced.

My case was dropped. I sent them the photo of my car on the line of the spot, told them this was border line fraud, and that i would seek legal action if necessary. They sent me a short email a few days after saying my case would be dropped and no fine would be enforced.
nice!

bluelighters 1 / cps 0 / undetermined 2

Last edited:
Wow guys, I apologize for slacking on this thread so long! Didn't realize it was still getting responses.

I can't remember if I ended up paying this, honestly. I would imagine I just said fuck it and didn't pay....no dings on my credit history either, for those wondering.