Mental Health Parenting tips for parents who has adhd child

johnbbecker2

Greenlighter
I'm here in be half of all parents there who has child with adhd. I know its not easy what we go through especially when there's no one else that we can run for help but ourselves. But I know we can make it. Infact there are articles I follow in parenting my son who has adhd. FoR an instance, this blog, https://www.adhdcentre.co.uk/adhd-help-parenting-tips-for-children-with-adhd/ . Its a great article to guide you as parent with adhd child.

My child has ASD + ADHD + Atitude,
I manage really well and I am really passionate but also invested in his disability.

I actually want to be an ASD coach but I was to study autism.

I have three and it sure is difficult some days to keep them on task. I've tried to move away from stimulant based drugs and I'm not sure my overall opinion on it so far, because it is ever changing.

Classic stimulants are the most effective agents. Amphetamine (Vyvanse, Adderall, Dexedrine,etc.) is more effective than methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta), but is a bit harder on the brain. Methylphenidate might be even good for the brain in low-medium doses. They might need time to get used to the medicine. If they're wired, then either the dose might be reduced or they might be given a week or two to return to a calm yet concentrated state of mind. Also, they produce dependence, which means that your child might go through a withdrawal of sorts when school isn't in session. Stimulants for ADHD are very much serious substances. They are Schedule II, the same amount illegal as morphine and cocaine--so, if abused, they can cause terrible addiction

Straterra and Intuniv aren't stimulants. They do take longer to become effective and aren't thought as effective as stimulants. They might be preferable, though. They ren't scheduled susbtances

Welbutrin is used off-label for ADHD, with antidepressant effects and a buffer against tobacco addiction (and possibly addiction overall) effects. It shares a mechanism with methylphendiate, but isn't so strong as to produce a euphoria. That said, it lowers the seizure threshold (makes it more likely for s a seizure to occur). It isn't scheduled either.

Modafinil is also used off-label for ADHD sometimes. It wasn't given the official indication for ADHD because it can produce a very dangeorus rash in a small percent of users that necessitates one ceasing use, but I guess that was enough to stop it from getting the indication. It's Schedule IV--known as a "wakefulness-promoter". It has weak effects as far as stimualnts go, perhaps more than Welbutrin but less than classic stimulants. 4-5 years ago it got a lot of news for being "the first smart drug". It can certainly increase cognition.

Therapy to develop techniques can help a lot. Study techniques and such. A private tutor, or cheaper yet a teacher who doesn't mind staying after school to help with studying, would be useful! Some people abide by a diet to reduce symptoms, that which I'm not savvy about. Exercise regularly is great. But meditation, in particular mindfulness, is an excellent way to increase cognition. I find it very useful. It's tough to meditate at first, maybe 2-5 minutes. But you can build it up. It's almost a panacea, like exercise. The internet offers lots of meditation sources.

ADHD might seem like a relatively inert illness, but it can lead to more drug use and to depression, among other secondary ailments. Also, though, things like insomnia can lead to ADHD symptoms. The doc and honesty to the doc can decide what is primary.