View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Painkiller addictions worst drug epidemic in US history

sekio

Bluelight Crew
Painkiller addictions worst drug epidemic in US history
by Amel Ahmed

Prescriptions for painkillers in the United States have nearly tripled in the past two decades and fatal overdoses reached epidemic levels, exceeding those from heroin and cocaine combined, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At the same time, the first-ever global analysis of illicit drug abuse published this month by The Lancet, a British medical journal, found that addictions to heroine and popular painkillers, including Vicodin and OxyContin, kill the most people and cause the greatest health burden, compared to illicit drugs such as marijuana and cocaine.

High-income nations, such as the United States, United Kingdom and Australia, had the highest rates of abuse, 20 times greater than in the least impacted countries, according to The Lancet study.

In the United States, enough painkillers were prescribed in 2010 to medicate every American adult around-the-clock for one month.

[...]

The study published in The Lancet examined four categories of illegal drugs – opioids (which include painkillers and heroine), cocaine, amphetamines and cannabis.

Worldwide, of the estimated 78,000 deaths in 2010 stemming from illicit drug use, more than half were due to opioid addictions. More than two thirds of addicts were male and rates of abuse were highest in men aged 20 to 29 years.

The United States in particular consumes 80 percent of the world's supply of painkillers, according to 2011 congressional testimony from the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.

A Los Angeles Times article in August revealed that the maker of OxyContin, Purdue Pharma LP, had been compiling a database for the past decade of some 1,800 doctors suspected of recklessly prescribing the painkiller. Shortly after the article was published, Sen. Segerblom asked the Connecticut-based company to turn over information on Nevada doctors suspected of over-prescribing the painkiller, information that would be used by the state medical board in any potential investigation.

Representatives from the company met with state health officials Aug. 29 and supplied the names of 29 doctors, according to Segerblom.

"The epidemic is getting worse and it's not going away anytime soon. I think the states are working hard at finding solutions and we'll keep pushing for them."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/8/29/painkiller-kill-morepeoplethanmarijuanause.html

Color me not suprised. Also, the US would be a lot better off if they had a day where *everyone* was on opioids.

Aamen to that. I also hereby make a decree, marijuana shall not be mentioned in the same sentences as heroin, cocaine, and drug abuse or mentioned in anyway it compares it to drugs that cause physical addiction.

Great, now doctors can add a congressional witch hunt to the list of reasons not to prescribe medicine to legitimate pain patients.

Good thing cannabis is illegal think of all the overdoses cannabis would cause if it were legal...

Great, now doctors can add a congressional witch hunt to the list of reasons not to prescribe medicine to legitimate pain patients.

Hon, that's already here..

So how does the epidemic stack up against alcoholism?

So you've never seen anyone with drug induced psychosis from weed? I've seen plenty. It is more likely to trigger psychosis in someone with underlying issues then opiates ever would! I know of people that have become schizophrenic just from cannabis, whether that is because it is illegal in most parts and the THC content outweighs the CBD content, who knows. If it was legal and bud was created with the right amounts of CBD to counter act the insane THC levels that are being pumped out these days then it probably wouldn't be as big an issue. No cannabis won't cause an overdose but it has fucked many a mind up for good.

these people need to smoke less. if you take too much cocaine/amphetamine you get psychosis. overdose of dopaminergics=psychosis. difference is cannabis will not give you a stroke or heart attack the way the other two could. mental problems are fixable but problems of the structure of your brain/heart=not fixable. that damage stays

either way 78'000 people isn't that much compared to aids/war/famine.

Can we discuss, I don't know, the actual topic? I think I know four people who need to smoke less weed, or more weed. Either way figure it out for yourselves.

Aaaaaand... this. The unfortunate fact about painkillers is that treating pain is really, really hard, and not treating pain is really, really terrible. Cannabis will probably make this a little easier, maybe a lot easier, but there are some things that even cannabis + NSAID won't really suppress effectively.

At the end of the day we will eventually need new drugs, pentazocine and tramadol are promising avenues, but there are of course plenty of people with chronic pain who hate these two because they unfortunately still aren't as effective as opioids. There are the cases where traditional painkillers may not always be the right thing (fibromyalgia, chronic septic lower back pain). You might be thinking that combinations would help, but pentazocine + cannabis is already basically psychedelic, not a great side effect for pain management IMO.

It can be terrible when doctors won't prescribe opioids to people with a history of abuse who nonetheless are in very real pain. To interpret it bluntly: that some doctors overprescribe and other doctors take it upon themselves to overcompensate. In my unqualified opinion prescribing medication to an addict is not really a problem even if they are drug-seeking, it's when medication is prescribed to people who go on to redistribute it that can create new addicts, it's a bit callous to treat existing addicts as lost causes, but, statistically, they are.

Of course, one has to wonder: why is the prescription painkiller problem worse in the US than anywhere else? We're not, overall, older, dumber, fatter, or more prone to chronic pain than Europeans. So what are we doing wrong that they do right?

I think really it might not be a terrible idea to be a little more lax with prescriptions through official channels such as hospitals, the thing is that the extreme difficulty of obtaining drugs from legitimate sources is what creates the market vacuum that "pill mills" operate in, and let me be clear: for all the illicit customers of pill mills there are almost surely people with very real chronic pain who get medicine from these doctors, and when their supply is cut off it isn't good for them, they're innocent people and they get thrown under the bus in all of this hysteria.

If well-intentioned doctors would prescribe effective medicines it would be easier to identify pill mills because they would actually get fewer legitimate patients, so they become statistically more obvious. Thus the media scare and government crackdown on the painkiller phenomenon can actually help it to continue and creates loads of collateral damage. In Europe, I'm guessing -- mind you I admit to guessing -- it's actually easier to get a prescription from a real hospital.

Alcohol cointoxication is the undiscussed elephant in the room in overdose, of course, way too many, IIRC a majority, of these overdoses are created by combining the drug with alcohol, and perhaps this piece of advice should be given more readily to people on painkillers: stop drinking. Just stop -fucking- drinking. If it were socially normative to never, ever drink when taking prescription painkillers we could probably save thousands of lives without changing anything else. This is one case where legal recreational marijuana would probably be extremely convenient.

So how does the epidemic stack up against alcoholism?

It's basically a rash of armed robberies of Jewish businesses in Switzerland in 1937, by comparison.

Last edited:
Aamen to that. I also hereby make a decree, marijuana shall not be mentioned in the same sentences as heroin, cocaine, and drug abuse or mentioned in anyway it compares it to drugs that cause physical addiction.
unless it to say that marijuana is a positive in someones life while abusing heroin, cocaine, and the resultant drug addictions to substances like these can destroy or even take someones life.

Hello Im DR blah blah and I will be your new pusher;)

doctor-trust.jpg

Last edited: