• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe Pain Meds for Acute Pain while on Subutex/Suboxone

Contractor13

Greenlighter
Last week I was surfing in Maui for my birthday caught a wave that broke to close to shore and ended up fracturing a few vertebrates in my neck. Doctors like your good no worries your young(31yo male),in good shape, just take it easy. Tries to send me home with no pain meds (my face is bruised,cut,and swollen from impact and the fractured vertebraes) I’m like I at least need something to help me get some rest so he gives me 6-norco 5-325 smh. I’m on 24mg prescribed of Subutex take probably 12-20mg a day, those norcos won’t even get near my receptors. I’m considering contacting my sub doctor and seeing what he says and if he could prescribe something for the pain that would actually help, I mean it’s a good faith effort but the “opioid epidemic” has things upside down when it comes to actual beneficial treatment of pain. I’ve been on subs about a year and half and my life has changed so much for the better night and day difference. Today was the first day I considered finding something ,to help with my pain from this injury. I didn’t follow through and came home. Does anyone have experience in using pain medication w/ subs for pain. I’m very well read on the pharmacokinetics and biochemistry related to the function of the bupe,binding affinity,etc. I’m just hoping someone has first hand knowledge of this. I’ve already been breaking my doses into 2-4 mg intervals for highest possible analgesic purposes but the pain is not letting up. I appreciate any thoughts or insight y’all can provide. Just want to say I’ve been using this site I think since 2014-15 learned so much, got motivation from real stories from people on here and a lot more. This site helped me get to where I am now, the thread about the Bernese method is priceless. Thanks💯

Appreciate it man, I’m familiar with tramadol, the only thing with trams is the lowering of the seizure threshold, it’s a good idea though I didn’t even think of trams ,I’m going to look into it for sure

trams do more than lower seizure threshold if you take other serotonergic medications like SSRIs (danger)

anyways, what country are you in? have you heard of kratom?

US, that’s true about the antidepressant properties of trams, I was just reading that I don’t take ssri anymore im good there should be, we have Kratom here in cali but wouldn’t it be the same as pain pills in filling the same receptors and being blocked by the bupe? I’ve tried kratom for withdrawals some years back I took a nice bit too maybe 3-4 grams didn’t do much for withdrawals but pain relief and withdrawal are 2 completely different animals

US, that’s true about the antidepressant properties of trams, I was just reading that I don’t take ssri anymore im good there should be, we have Kratom here in cali but wouldn’t it be the same as pain pills in filling the same receptors and being blocked by the bupe? I’ve tried kratom for withdrawals some years back I took a nice bit too maybe 3-4 grams didn’t do much for withdrawals but pain relief and withdrawal are 2 completely different animals
yeah, kratom won't deal with sub withdrawal like I think you're talking about

it helps, but in other ways

it's not a direct biochemical replacement for buprenorphine... but it does help a lot, at least for me ... then again I was addicted to kratom for 8+ years after heroin and cold turkey felt just as bad as if I was quitting bupe

Makes sense, I’m going to read more into it they say about how they’re not sure if it’s a partial or full opioid agonist, that it will affect opioid tolerance levels which would assume interaction from and drug that antagonizes opioids like buprenorphine,naloxone,etc. I’ve heard good things about kratom alot of people I know have kicked dope,pills,opioids in general with kratom, it’s definitely a possibility I would need to see a conversion chart of some sort to see what would cover the sub dosage I take now then for the pain on top , or if there’s some kind of sweet spot w/ the bupe where I could take the kratom or pain meds and they work while still be stabilized on the bupe. Subs have been a life saver, but I’ve always thought about this scenario and what would be the procedure, I do believe the subs are preventing me from being overly in pain, but it’s 2-2.5/10 at best it’s better than nothing though

Makes sense, I’m going to read more into it they say about how they’re not sure if it’s a partial or full opioid agonist, that it will affect opioid tolerance levels which would assume interaction from and drug that antagonizes opioids like buprenorphine,naloxone,etc. I’ve heard good things about kratom alot of people I know have kicked dope,pills,opioids in general with kratom, it’s definitely a possibility I would need to see a conversion chart of some sort to see what would cover the sub dosage I take now then for the pain on top , or if there’s some kind of sweet spot w/ the bupe where I could take the kratom or pain meds and they work while still be stabilized on the bupe. Subs have been a life saver, but I’ve always thought about this scenario and what would be the procedure, I do believe the subs are preventing me from being overly in pain, but it’s 2-2.5/10 at best it’s better than nothing though
sometimes computing our opioid use down to a finite point is not the answer

right?

sometimes we just need to jump off and deal with the lack of constant drug computation

just a suggestion

Well, fentanyl would technically very probably work given its potency it should displace bupe from the receptors but that's not what you want.. Yet options other than NSAIDs and more bupe are pretty limited unfortunately when your mu receptors are occupied..

Kratom likely won't do much, we have a thread somewhere about Kratom on top of bupe and it's not spectacular. Tramadol might synergize, as has been said it is more than just an opioid and its pain killing properties are also seen in people who are poor metabolizers so lack most of the opioid effects mediates by o-dsmt metabolite. It's seizure threshold lowering isn't a concern when max maybe 400mg and only other med is bupe.

Pregabalin might be an option but I don't know if it's even something for non fibramyalgy pain but it acts on a nociception receptor and reduces output of substance P, both related to pain.

Dissociatives are effective pain killers if you don't mind a trip. Some of them blow opiates out of the water without involving any direct opioid activity. Will synergize with bupe as well.

Hope you heal quickly. Yeah...subs pretty much ruin any relief we can hope to get from normal painkillers. Buprenorphine is so strong and binds so hard so it doesn't let anything else through.

Your best bet for pain relief will probably come from non opioid meds like lyrica, gabapentin, benzos, muscle relaxers....stuff like that. They will help the bupe already in your system to make the pain better.

Subs do a great job for people in recovery as it blocks so many things. When we get hurt though it makes things touch because the normal pain meds can't break through. Good luck with your injury.

People on bupe are problem even for general anaestesia,besides muscle relaxers,anaesthetic gases or i.v. infussions.No much place,where to bind the other narcotics

People on bupe are problem even for general anaestesia,besides muscle relaxers,anaesthetic gases or i.v. infussions.No much place,where to bind the other narcotics
For general anesthesia there's ketamine which knocks you out independently of opioid receptors but as a pain killer it lasts too short unfortunately there is no retard formula of it.

Something like DCK might be worth a try though if you're having a source for.

Try a combination of Ibuprofen and acetaminophen 600:500mg.
It works surprisingly well for pain.
If you’re on subs you should probably avoid the temptation of opioids.

Heres the most important part of situations like this and that is the doctor has to fully understand the dynamic properties and high affinity of buprenorphine to supplement it with another drug. I was fortunate to have a buprenorphine doctor that knew opiates insided and out, he was actually using buprenorphine in sublingual Troches compounded at the pharmacy before suboxone and subutex came out. You have to titrate down to a low dose of buprenorphine and then he would introduce usually actiq fentanyl lollipops at certain doses. Thats about the only thing that can come close to pushing buprenorphine and share that mu receptor. Another reason to get your dose down is to reduce the antagonist effect on the kappa receptor and allow the fentanyl in to help with pain. Buprenorphine is so strong on the receptor some times they cant barely push it off with gobs of naloxone they have to supliment the naloxone with another drug I forget the name that acts as an antagonist And remember if your on suboxone anything with bup and naloxone the more strip you take the more naloxone your going to build up in your system, absorption will only be marginal but it can add up and counteract with the bup. A quick fun fact they sometimes use buprenorphine in place of naloxone to reverse bup od's .

Last edited:
Thank you. Im on 24mgs{suboxone} and have pancreas pain issues. I haven't taken any since Wednesday . So Ill knock it down to 16.