• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pablo Escobar's Hippos Are Running Wild in Colombia

Bluelighter
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latin-america/pablo-escobars-hippos-are-running-wild-colombia-n145446

Take a notorious South American drug lord, build a mansion in the jungle and add some hippopotamuses. What could possibly go wrong? According to the BBC, hippos once owned by the late Colombian drug baron Pablo Escobar have taken over the countryside near his former ranch in Antioquia, 200 miles northwest of Bogota, presenting a real problem for locals and wildlife officials, who are dumbfounded on what to do with them.

In the early 1980s, after Escobar had initially become rich, he built himself a zoo. He smuggled in elephants, giraffes and other exotic animals, among them four hippos — three females and one male. When the ranch was confiscated in the 1990s, the animals were removed. All except for the hippos, that is.

All the while, the hippos themselves thrived, and multiplied, as hippos do. And now, nobody knows how many there are. The local environmental authority, which bears responsibility for them, estimates between 50 and 60, with most living in the lake at the park.

In 2008, National Geographic even filmed the Escobar hippos:

Damn, I thought we had it bad here in the US with wild pigs breeding out of control.

I've actually heard about this. The anti-exotic-pet movement often uses this story as a prime example of why they're doing what they're doing. Hippos are very aggressive creatures that can outrun and kill a human with little provocation, and probably don't have much problem trampling and chomping any native competitors for their ecological niche. If these hippos can't be removed or exterminated, this could become an invasive species disaster.

Damn, I thought we had it bad here in the US with wild pigs breeding out of control.

I've actually heard about this. The anti-exotic-pet movement often uses this story as a prime example of why they're doing what they're doing. Hippos are very aggressive creatures that can outrun and kill a human with little provocation, and probably don't have much problem trampling and chomping any native competitors for their ecological niche. If these hippos can't be removed or exterminated, this could become an invasive species disaster.

So true. Hippos are responsible for the most deaths in Africa yearly. I truly hope it doesnt come down to extermination though.

South America is perfect place for them too. Climate is good and there is full on jungle. If you dumped off some lions or elephants it would probably be the same. Glad for once I live in cold place where if someones giant snake escapes it just dies. Florida has the same problem with dumped exotic pets able to survive the year.

Last edited:
It's possible that the ones born there may not be as aggressive.

In Africa, these herbivores are constantly surrounded by lions, hyenas, and crocodiles (among other carnivores). So that may definitely be a reason for their fierce territorial reputation.

Over the Colombia however, I'm not sure that there is such constant danger from local wildlife.

Whatever the case, they don't deserve to be put down.

Hippos are bad ass..

this is pretty graphic and sad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JPQw5WcoPw

NSFW:
0_0_3388516_01_760x224.jpg

Last edited:
wonder how representative that was of Pablos last minutes.. makes me glad im not actively hunted by humans.