• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone sleepiness

bulbasaur

Greenlighter
Hello, I read that opiates can cause marked drowsiness and reduced breathing... but it's not helping me feel better. I was prescribed Hydrocodon-Acetam 7.5-325/15 3 spoonfuls every 6 hours for a tonsillectomy. I noticed that around 4-5 hours into the dosages, my throat would start hurting again so I started taking 200mg ibuprofen (sometimes one, sometimes 2). Today I had my hydrocodone dosage at 9am. Took an ibuprofen around noon. At 2pm I took a oxycodone hcl 5mg and I really, really want to go to sleep. Since my throat is swollen, breathing while asleep is a tad more challenging so I'm apprehensive about falling asleep now. The oxycodone feels nice but I don't think I'll take it again... ever. When would it be ok for me to take a little nap? My pulse is holding at about 80 bpm, just my breathing is kind of shallow punctuated with a couple deep breaths every so often.

Actually in the last few minutes I feel better. I still want to sleep but my breathing is on autopilot and it doesn't feel like it's going to turn off in my sleep.

If you don't feel comfortable then try not to sleep for a couple more hours but if your heart rate is 80bpm you should be fine.

If you are that uncomfortable go get an OTC bronchodilator but be sure to check for drug allergies or medication interactions before taking it.

swelling is to be expected with a procedure of that nature
think you have a tiny bit of anxiety about it which i dont blame you i would to
as the posters above me have said get some sleep or wait it out a few more hours
if for whatever reason you think something isnt truly right call your doc or the people who preformed the procedure and explain what is going on
dont quote me or follow what i say but 200mg even 400mg of ibuprofen is quite a low dose prob why its not helping with the swelling
in a healthy adult think the max dose is 3200mg within a 24 hrs time period which is 800mg every 6 to 8 hours ask if you can up the dose

Last edited:
I took a nap shortly after. I won't take oxycodone again, the effect was way too heavy-handed. I'm reducing the hydrocodon. 1-2 pills of ibuprofen every 5 hours is enough for now. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have noticed that oxycodone doesn't help pain caused by inflammation, tooth ache or headache and especially migraine headache.

Swelling due surgical procedure or trauma is basically same as inflammation as cells break and immune system tries to get rid of the waste.

However ibuprofen is an excellent aid for all of those three things oxycodone won't help at all. Naproxen would be better one but ibuprofen is good enough.

I prefer taking small doses of ibuprofen more often than taking single bigger dose less often. When I had toncillectomy I used to take 200mg every two hours except when I went to sleep and then I took single 800mg dose.

Oxycodone didn't help the pain at all but it made me feelcmore comfortable but I had been using it for over two years then.

It is interesting because oxycodone is supposed to be one of the stimulating opioids as far as opioids go.

It is at the lower doses in which you get very creative in a way that it takes off your artitistic block or makes you want to clean your whole house etc. but at higher doses it is pretty much the same as other opiates.

Sometimes it happens that first hour of effect is pretty stimulating and then you start nodding off.

Even 7.5mg can be "high" dose for opiate naice user.

I have noticed that oxycodone doesn't help pain caused by inflammation, tooth ache or headache and especially migraine headache.

Swelling due surgical procedure or trauma is basically same as inflammation as cells break and immune system tries to get rid of the waste.

However ibuprofen is an excellent aid for all of those three things oxycodone won't help at all. Naproxen would be better one but ibuprofen is good enough.

I prefer taking small doses of ibuprofen more often than taking single bigger dose less often. When I had toncillectomy I used to take 200mg every two hours except when I went to sleep and then I took single 800mg dose.

Oxycodone didn't help the pain at all but it made me feelcmore comfortable but I had been using it for over two years then.
Isn't oxycodone an nsaid?

Ibuprofen goes against what my doctor recommended, because of hemorrhaging risks. However a study at the CDC shows this to be a myth and that ibuprofen, as I've found out, is equally effective at managing tonsillectomy pain as hydrocodone.

It is at the lower doses in which you get very creative in a way that it takes off your artitistic block or makes you want to clean your whole house etc. but at higher doses it is pretty much the same as other opiates.

Sometimes it happens that first hour of effect is pretty stimulating and then you start nodding off.

Even 7.5mg can be "high" dose for opiate naice user.
IME the higher the dose the more manic/energetic I become. When I was abusing them on a daily basis I'd do 300mg plus a day and couldn't sleep until they were all gone(sometimes up for multiple days like I was doing speed). Now I'm on 40 mgs a day and they don't have much effect on me one way or another,probably do little in helping my pain anymore!