• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxycodone: Question about fatal overdose

statued

Greenlighter
Let me start off by saying that I am only asking these questions in order to be more safe. I understand that opioids, especially oxycodone, can be very dangerous and fatal if enough is taken. I've read about how an overdose works. First, there's vomitting (a sign you took too much, if I'm correct. This has never happened to me with a pain killer) Second, there's alot of nodding and Third, you loss consiousness and respitory depression occurs, you go into coma then death.

Say someone took a very large, fatal ammount of oxycodone. How long on average would it take until death?

It would just depend on the dose. How much are you planning on taking and what's your tolerance like?

if you did enough, via IV, you could die in a matter of seconds to minutes.
people die with the rig still in their arm. basically the OD of opiate causes you to immediately lose consciousness, and you die from respiratory depression / cardiac arrest.

I am not planning on taking anything. I'm just asking that hypethetically, if someone like me (no tolerance) took a huge ammount, how long would it take to lose consciousness and how long would it take to die? My guess would be if I took 200mg all at once, waited about an hour, I would lose consciousness and by 90 minutes be dead. I would also like to know the consequences of surviving a fatal overdose. I found this video and it's very sobering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YUnr0f4xo

Honestly, it sounds like you might be considering suicide. if you are not, I apologize..
You should know, that death will be painful, extremely traumatizing and frightening, no matter how you go.
Please give it some time, if this is what you are thinking about.. make some drastic changes in your life. do something radical and different.. if you are planning to die, what do you have to lose? its worth a shot.. just dont purposely OD on oxy.. you will most likely survive, you may have permanent brain damage, and if you think you are in a bad situation now, it will be a hundred times worse.
stay strong.. man up.. theres no easy way out ;)

(if i misread your intent, please disregard this post)

Here is some advice, IV about 20mg... throw away rig....profit.

You're high as fuck and no longer want to die.

I got the same feeling from the OPs posts. I have had OD,s on benzos and opiates....they are not fun. They are actually quite terrifying.

Listen: I had a death wish for a long time. I had a lot of pretty terrible things happen to me throughout my life. When I did opiates, whenever I would feel incredibly bad, like reliving bad memories I would shoot to kill. One day I woke up in a hospital after one such OD and I made a realization..."If I don't change myself, I will always be myself in misery"

Chew on that thought...and make some changes in your life...

It often sounds easy...so much easier than it is. It is very scary. Ive OD'd many times-but only a few times to the point I went out. OD can also mean (not just when someone dies) taking//doing too much of a drug. It can be extremely painful. With opiates the itching, though it sounds harmless, can get very painful; the unending nausea and dry-heaving, dizziness....it's horrible. And yes, I've went out and came to w the rig still in. It's a very dangerous game.

I went through a long period in my life where I was reckless because I really didn't care if I lived or not. It seems to always come back to having your issues addressed and finding the solution to make them better Not staying miserable and just surviving. Though many of us are working through painful issues, dealing with ongoing mental, emotional, health, chronic pain issues-We are not just surviving anymore, we're living.

OP I hope you're not asking because you want to harm yourself. If you are, get the help you need. Tell someone you trust how your're feeling and go from there. It really can get better.

If I have misunderstood you, I apologize.

Last edited:
I said in the first place I was only asking for safety reasons. I dont want to commit suicide, I just want to know how long it would take if you took them by mouth. So I'll ask again, if someone took a fatal ammount of oxycodone all at once with no tolerance, how long would it take to die? Would it take just long enough for them to kick in or would it take hours?