• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone Oral vs IV vs Snorting

OPOTUS

Greenlighter
Hi there!
This is my first time posting- but I have been lurking for over a year. I have a question about Oxycodone- I normally take 20-30mg Oraly, how much would I want to take snorting or IV? I know that orally has the best bioavailability, but I would like to try the rush from snorting or IV. I'm not able to find this information anywhere else. Thanks for your help!!

Before you rush to IV (no pun intended) I'd consider plugging if you aren't satisfied with snorting or oral. Its much safer then IV or even snorting and it has a much quicker onset then oral, 10-15 minutes and it will hit you hard and fast.

There's already a plethora of information on how to rectally administer drugs so I won't go into detail but basically you dissolve the pill(s) into 2-10ml of water, put it into an oral syringe, and into the anus it goes.

If you aren't willing to do that I would at least try potentiators like white grapefruit juice, antacids, or even diphenhydramine before resorting to more harmful methods like snorting or IV.

Hello and welcome to BL. For the sake of harm reduction, please do not consider IVing a pill. The Oral BA for some individuals can be as high as 87%. I'm not sure about the exact BA for rectal, but I think its right up there with oral. Snorting has a lower BA due to extra binders clogging up your nose. It does have a rapid onset and thus a faster clearance rate. I've snorted a few times and do not prefer it. Ingesting is my favorite ROA

If you decide to go IV, please do remember to treat it as a medical procedure. There is a correct way to prepare a pill solution and you must use micron filters and sterile needles each time. There is a long post that goes into detail on this. Please also remember that trying to find the fastest acting ROA for that "rush" will push any addiction further and may cause you to break down that barrier you once told yourself you would never cross.

Potentiators are great. There are some studies that show Grapefruit juice (GFJ) does indeed increase plasma concentrations and and slows clearance rates. In that study they were taking the GFJ three times a day for a week. Also antacids work to lower pH of stomach and duodenum (first part of small intestine where additional absorption occurs). I'm on the fence about diphenylhydramine as I think it just adds to sedation and grogginess the next morning.

OP I used to take oxy everyday for years before switching to subs and every ROA feels almost like a different drug altogether from what I learned from years of using it. I started just taking them orally, then fell in love with sniffing it for the faster onset. IV oxy is not as great as you might think. I only slammed oxy a handful of times when I used to do it and the rush isn't that great to me... and it wears off much quicker than oral or sniffing. Plugging it is great too. If you haven't ever iv'd it before don't start now, trust me its not worth it, especially only 20-30mgs... sniffing or plugging is the way to go if you are tired of taking it orally, imo.

Hi there!
This is my first time posting- but I have been lurking for over a year. I have a question about Oxycodone- I normally take 20-30mg Oraly, how much would I want to take snorting or IV? I know that orally has the best bioavailability, but I would like to try the rush from snorting or IV. I'm not able to find this information anywhere else. Thanks for your help!!
Welcome to blue light bud!
You'll need about 45-60mg nasally, to equal 30mg orally, that's based solely on bioavailability, I think the 60mg is on the really high side, nasal onset occurs within 1-5mins, compared to 15-30 mins orally. Plugging has about the same BA as oral, and the same onset as nasal, definitely the best roa, when injecting, squirt the dose out as close to the sphincter as you can get. The deeper the injection site, the more first pass metabolism the dose is subjected to. It won't 'fall out' as easy as you may think, lay on your side for 5-10 mins to ensure absorption. As far as IV goes, there really isn't that 'rush' that heroin is notorious for.The difference between nasal heroin and iv heroin is night and day. Nasal is OK, feels good, but iv GREAT, and feels like a hug from God! Whereas nasal oxy feels good and iv oxycodone feels good too. The risk vastly outweighs the reward. But alas if you decide to do it anyways 30mg IV will feel about the equivalent of 35-40mg oral, with an onset of less than a minute. As mentioned above, use fresh syringes, fresh micron filters and do NOT add heat.
Stay safe, let us know what you decided to do.

- Hopeless Soul

Some years ago I had some pharmaceutical grade oxycodone meant for IV. I tried it IV but it did not result in what I would describe as a rush like you get from iv morphine or heroin. The euphoria comes on slower but longer and I don't nod to the same degree as from morphine. Oxycodone IV provides me with a more stable and longlasting high than it provides me with a rush. However, I have seen mates nod after taking oxycodone IV, again pharmaceutical grade oxycodone meant for IV. I have never tried to IV oxycodone pills. Thus, I don't see the huge benefit in IV oxycodone. When that is said pharmaceutical grade oxycodone meant for IV is also rarely used on hospitals.

I think it is a shame to take oxycodone nasally as I benefits more from it orally plus you avoid to destroy your nose.

I would snort first, I really like to take a benzo with it if I can. I saw someone mention plugging, also more effective than just eating em. When it comes to snorting its always better to start small and work your way up to what a good dose is for you.

Hello and welcome to BL. For the sake of harm reduction, please do not consider IVing a pill. The Oral BA for some individuals can be as high as 87%. I'm not sure about the exact BA for rectal, but I think its right up there with oral. Snorting has a lower BA due to extra binders clogging up your nose. It does have a rapid onset and thus a faster clearance rate. I've snorted a few times and do not prefer it. Ingesting is my favorite ROA

I agree. Oral ingestion is my preferred method. Ive plugged a few times and did seem to feel it a little more strongly, but not enough to make going thru that worth it.

I'm probably not the one to ask, as I have some kind of issue with metabolism of Oxycodone. I have to take a lot of it to get any effects. Anyway, when I do decide to take it or have the opportunity to, I almost always take it orally. I messed around with a variety of different ROA's in my experience with Oxycodone, from insufflation to IV and eventually settled upon oral as my preferred route.

I don't understand why, but I think it has something to do with Oxycodone's favorable oral Bioavailability of like 86% or something like that and the fact that insufflation reduces bioavailability by something like 20%. I also didn't like injecting pills. I injected a lot of drugs and was familiar with and desensitized to the process by this point, but the idea of injecting pills still rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't like doing it as I knew the potential risks.

All of these factors together just made oral the more practical route of administration and I really didn't mind it taken this way. When compared to a drug like Morphine, which I find to be pretty underwhelming when taken orally, the effects of orally administered Oxycodone seem to be better in a lot of ways.