• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone and Help for Chronic Constipation

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hello all.

I've been taking Oxycodone IR 120mg daily for over two years for chronic pain and ever since I started taking them I've had shockingly bad constipation. I can go weeks without a bowl movement and it's really starting to effect my quality of life. I take a stool softener to keep things soft for when I eventually get a movement but the stool softener doesn't stimulate a bowl movement. I end up with a swollen abdomen as if I'm about to burst! Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do or take to improve things? Help much appreciated!

I can see a couple or few days but not weeks. Even if you are getting plenty of liquids, opioids are dehydrating so you will need extra water and make yourself drink it. Talk with your doctor if over-the-counter stool softeners aren't helping. There are prescription strength medications that can help with this. I hope you get some relief soon! :)

120mg is a very heavy dosage, not as abusive and ridiculous as others ive seen but still a heavy dosage, if you are getting pain relief from this dosage you need more fiber, smaller and more frequent meals, extra water and exercise, its incredibly unhealthy to he chronically constipated especially weeks, it will deteriorate you health severely, otherwise if you can live without these pills you should think of tapering and consulting with your doctor, 120mg of oxycodone a day you will have constipatiom even if you have an extremely healthy diet and exercise daily, its not healthy in the long run to mantain this, you should think about low testosterone/hormones too with a dosage like these for extended periods, testosterone replacement therapy is often required to mantain health with dosages like these for extended periods of time.

Everyone is different, but for myself and what seems like the majority of the community, Miralax seems to be the most effective, least "intense" laxative out there. Taking stool softeners as a preemption is certainly a smart move, but if you're already redlining, you will probably need to get a little bit more aggressive. Here's my advice in bullet points:

- Stool softeners
- Miralax
- Glycerin/Saline Enema
- Stimulant laxative i.e. Bisacodyl (Dulcolax)

The stimulant laxatives are your last resort for a reason. When you are severely constipated and your bowels are dry, introducing a stimulant laxative can cause painful and intense contractions of the GI tract that can be quite unpleasant. For this reason, always have some Simethicone (Gas-X) on hand or better yet, take it on a regimen of sorts. When you are severely constipated as you would seem to be, the sudden starting and stopping of your bowels can be quite painful, intense and produce significant amounts of painful gas.

Hope this helps :)

Mega doses of vitamin c or magnesium will loosen you up very quickly.

I've been taking Laxido which is a stool softener. I take one sachet a night and although they don't stimulate a bowl movement. It just keeps everything soft and easy to pass. When I do get a bowl movement everything comes out very easily and naturally. So I guess I've solved my problem. It also prevents bloating due to constip which is a bonus!

For this reason, always have some Simethicone (Gas-X) on hand or better yet, take it on a regimen of sorts. When you are severely constipated as you would seem to be, the sudden starting and stopping of your bowels can be quite painful, intense and produce significant amounts of painful gas.

Can you comment any more on Gas-X? I take it every day for my stomach issues but I never really understood much of why or how it helped, just that it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use milk of magnesia which tastes nice but if that dont work I use laxido laxido liquid gives me instant releif.everytime never lets me down.

Can you comment any more on Gas-X? I take it every day for my stomach issues but I never really understood much of why or how it helped, just that it does.

Jesus. I almost erased your post and substituted my own :X I did that to someone the other day and I swear the internet almost broke. Simethicone is what's called an anti-foaming agent. I don't actually understand the operative word, foam, but it basically works by causing smaller "bubbles" or gas particles to combine/consolidate into larger particles, which makes them in turn larger to pass either orally or rectally.

The next part, regarding how painful gas can become is pretty self-explanatory. While we can typically pass gas (flatulence) even if we're really constipated, you can become constipated to the extent that gas becomes extremely painful and you can't get rid of it so easily. So, for this reason, I think if it's something that you struggle with regularly, be it constipation, gas or both, it's not a bad idea to use Simethicone.

It sounds silly, as it often does when you're not struggling with it, but people routinely show up to the ER feeling that they are having a heart attack or dying when it's just bad gas.

The name anti-foaming agent might come from one of it's indications as antidote for surfactant-intoxication (i.e. dish liquid etc.) as this leads to excessive foaming

If you go to a pain doctor, they will usually give you free samples of Movantik if you ask, and that works the best. If not, buy Senna S over the counter.

Magnesium citrate. I take 6g in water daily to stay regular as a long term very high dose opiate user. It's the best, most palatable solution I've found but don't skip days! You may have some gas at first. Start with 2g/day & work your way up. Too much & you'll have the opposite problem. Your BMs may burn a bit but this is normal.