• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxycodone and Grapefruit

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey ppl.

I know this topic has probably been discussed many times before but I wanna create a fresh discussion about it lol. Most ppl are aware of the fact that Grapefruit inhibits the P450 system mainly CYP3A4 which metabolizes most drugs. If this metabolic pathway is inhibited it results in increased / accumulated levels of the drug in ur blood.

Now I'm prescribed Oxycodone IR and it says in the leaflet inside the box not to drink Grapefruit juice lol. I'm planning on buying some fresh whole Grapefruit and squeeze the juice out and maybe add a little sugar as its quite bitter if I remember correctly and drink it.

My question is how many whole grapefruits would I need to squeeze to adequately inhibit the P450 system and how long should I give the extracted grapefruit juice to do its work before I take a dose of Oxy? Lastly what effects should I expect from this? A longer high? Longer pain relief?

I'm on Clonazepam, Pregabalin, and Mirtazapine too, will those drugs be inhibited as well?

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
Well im not sure about the squeezing the raw fruit thing but I can add some insight. Back when I was on oxy I used to drink a shitload of grapefruit juice but I used to just buy the store brand shit in the cardboard box and it worked like a charm.

The juice just makes it stronger all around but you’ve gotta drink it pretty regularly IME.

As for the other drugs, im pretty sure it does potentiate clonazepam. However not too sure on the pregab it may and it may not. I’ve been taking pregab for years and didn’t notice a difference. I have no idea tho about the mirtazipine.

Grapefruit potentates most drugs including all the other meds you're on so I'd be careful with that especially since oxy, clonaz, and pregabs makes three CNS depressants. At therapeutic doses with tolerance this is usually safe, but potentiating all of them is adding risk since you don't know how your body will respond to all those meds being potentiated in your body at once.

Personally I have found that grapefruit (as in literally just eating one full grapefruit) will significantly potentate benzodiazepines. It has a mild effect on pregabalin and not much effect on opiates. But this is just the reaction it has to my body chemistry so YMMV.

I'm gonna get 2 whole grapefruits and squeeze them, add a little sugar and drink it an hour before I take a dose of Oxy, just Oxy tho I wont take any of the other meds im on just to see how much potentiation I get. Will an hour before I dose be enough time to inhibit the P450 system or should I give it more time?

Come to think of it.. my local supermarket sells fresh chilled grapefruit juice in a plastic bottle, I might be better off buying that instead.

Also can Pink Grapefruit be used instead?

Last edited:
It has to be white grapefruit juice. Honestly just eat a grapefruit it's nice.

An hour is enough yes.

Smart taking only the oxy.

Ok so I bought the Grapefruit juice, drank 2 glasses of it waited an hour and then took 60mg Oxy IR, within 20 mins the Oxy kicked in and it felt like I took 100mg Oxy it hit me like a ton of bricks lol. So yeah it does potentiate it by quite a lot!! I'm actually quite shocked by the way a seemlessly harmless fruit can make Narcotics stronger lol. Ill be doing that again! Its just the taste tho its so damn bitter!! I literally had to force it down.

Yeah it's pretty mad. If I take Valium with grapefruit it feels like I took 4x the dose I did.