• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

oxycodone and GERD plus hiccups

psynce of sound

Bluelighter
Hi folks. Got a little query to ask.
I have been taking Oxy on and off for about two years. I'm not addicted as far as I can tell. I only take it once or twice a month. (I can only get hold of a very small amount twice a month)
In the last few months or so when I take oxy it causes my GERD to go crazy and my meds won't even touch it. Also it causes hiccups simultaneously with the GERD issue. This leads to pretty nasty vomiting.
So I'm wondering if anyone can shed light into this situation? Anyone else experience this too? If so how did you symptomatically deal with side effects?

I used to get this a lot on oxycodone and my doctor put me on Protonix because omeprazole wasn't helping. I was using quite a bit daily though. I'm thinking if you lower your dosage, it may ease up. It did for me and I don't even need the stomach meds anymore. Then again, I quit drinking so that may have been a big factor too.

I definitely need the stomach meds without oxy unfortunately. It's just mad that it can cause my gerd to be so bad that 40mg of pantoprazole doesn't touch it.
Well I'm definitely going to have a look into my dosing. It as you said very likely a dose related issue. Thank you for that bit of information.
Oh would it also be useful to speak to my gp about the pantoprazole not working as well as it should?

Oxycodone and other opioids are known to slow down gut motility. There is new research that is showing it effects the rate of stomach emptying and the peristalsis of the esophagus. There is an article interviewing a Gastroenterologist discussing GERD and other topics. He mentions some patients have to double their does of proton pump inhibitors.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4973563/

While I don't have an acid reflux or GERD diagnosis, I do feel like my esophageal muscles are quite working as well, especially if I ate a lot the night before.

Hope this helps!