• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxycodone abuse with withdrawals?

boogeywoogey101

Greenlighter
Is there a way to know how much/long one can take Oxycodone before reaching the point of withdrawals kicking in? I spent 8 weeks taking prescribed Oxy after surgery 15 years ago. Although I didn’t feel withdrawals I craved the euphoria. After a few more sporadic medical issues and procedures, the cravings grew. I now have a habit of using for 1 week out of every month for about 5 years. I’ve increased the dosage from 10 mgs per night to 20, one time I took 40. I’ve been pretty well disciplined in never going over the 5 days. I feel I can increase the dose as long as I don’t increase the frequency As to avoid physical dependence. Mentally I feel addicted despite being able to avoid using for 3 weeks at a time. I look forward to very little other than getting the text that my “script is ready”. I’ve thought about dividing up the same amount of pills over a month just on the weekends but I think that would be more dangerous in regards of slipping into all out addiction.

I used to use at somewhere around that same frequency, you are priming yourself for a serious physical dependence. All it will take is one month where you decide to use something other than your script for a couple extra weeks in a row and then you'll be on the dependence train. Since your tolerance has already been bumped up from infrequent use you can very easily fall into a physically dependent state where you need a large fraction of your usual recreational dose to stay well.

Do you need oxy for legitimate pain anymore? If not you may want to consider "disposing" (whatever that means to you) of half your script every month or telling your doc to reduce dosage.

If you use your pills in a way that spans them out over two weeks you may find yourself in withdrawals by the end of it.

the mental addiction you describe is the beginning of the receptor downregulation process. I completely agree with the last poster, you are setting yourself up for a bad sickness, accident or life circumstance to kick you right over the edge into physical dependence, and that spiraling mental fixation and feeling like nothing is good without it is the slippery edge of the slippery slope down in. If you want to avoid all out addiction, I would suggest taking a good 5-6 months off of opioids and assessing how / where you want them to be used in your life.

honestly as an addict I say if you can walk away from all drugs you should do it in a heartbeat, I know a lot of us believe all drugs should be legal quality control and the like, but at the end of the day some people need to be protected from themself and I think that is the heart of drug laws, they come from a good place even if being implemented in a not so great way

honestly as an addict I say if you can walk away from all drugs you should do it in a heartbeat, I know a lot of us believe all drugs should be legal quality control and the like, but at the end of the day some people need to be protected from themself and I think that is the heart of drug laws, they come from a good place even if being implemented in a not so great way
It's sort of like communism, it may be a decent idea I'm theory, but humans will not be able to implement it. Just walk away if you can OP, I know it's not what you want to hear but this is the inevitable answer to your question

It varies from person to person for sure, and how much you are taking matters a lot more than some may anticipate. Even doubling your dosage at a considerably low amount of Oxycodone, say 10 or 15 milligrams like in your case, would lead to very considerably more risk to developing physical dependency. Let alone people like myself who were taking very high dosages of ultra-potent opioids on a daily basis. I don't think anyone can give you a 100% percent definite answer, so many variables that go into this and a lot of them are purely subjective in nature. If you want to avoid physical dependency definitely avoid taking larger dosages.

I'm prescribed 40mg OcyContin BID. I take it at the same times every day. I've managed to just use 1 dose a day for a few days and so I am quietly storing up extras. Not to abuse, but because they screw my prescription up every month. One month I should have got it on Thursday, it arrived on the following Monday. Now I had a lot of co-codamol 30/500s spare and extracted and took codeine to cover it... but I have no more so I MUST have sufficient to cover my unreliable GP.

THAT crimps any carvings. You do your best NOT tp tale them wherever possible.