Oxy withdrawal day 4....still sucks balls

salajko

Greenlighter
Hello my brothers and sisters,

I had severe shoulder pain, and started taking oxys 10/325 a month ago. So I had spinal fusion surgery on 3/20. Hospital gave me 42 pills for one week and told me to see my pain doctor for the follow up. Of course I chewed my 42 pills in two - three days so I call my pain doctor but he is busy till a week later??? I called my primary physician and he gave me some more pills. So all together I've been taking oxys for about 6 weeks, and started with 30-40 a day and progress to 120. Now my pain doctor is pissed, cancels my appoitment and refuses to see me??? This is because we signed a "contract" that I can't get piils from anybody else but him???? I swear never heard of this contract, and I needed my pills after grueling neck fusion surgery where they put a metal plate to fuse my 3 vertabre????? And Yes, I plead guilty...I use pills for pain but don't mind a little kick from them as well.

Never mind, found another pain doctor who immidiatelly produced a piece of paper from my insurance and saw how many pills I've taken. He was dumbfounded....lol....and i told him that I want to get off this shit (Taking 120 mg oxycodone a day).

He gave me 20 oxys 10/325 (insurance will NOT give them to me 'till today, and I do not want them!!!)
He gave me clonidine 0.1 HCL (use as needed)
I have some benzos of 20 mg at home
Also TONS of Gabapentin 300 mg (whole bottle and refil)

Biggest kicker I HAD to QUIT SMOKING IMIDIATELLY, as nicotine can fuck up the bone fusion in my neck and I'll need another surgery!!! So quitting oxy and smoking at the same time !!!

I've been taking 20 mg benzos and clonidine 0.1 3x a day....this is not enough but it's ok. On day 4 today, still feeling like a piece of shit. Cant' walk around just staring at TV, smoking MJ, no energy...Anyway, can somebody reccomend how much exactly to take of each of this 3 medicine daily, to get 100% clean in another 7-10 days. I took enough paid leave of work, 4 weeks alloghether so I have time.

I particulary want to learn how can Gabapenting help me, since I have tons of it. Where to I start, and when do I STOP with gabapentin and do I have to take higher doses daily?

Lot's of love and thank you my brothers and sisters!!!

Last edited:
Can't recommend a schedule for you as I would of eaten everything the same as you. Were you abusing anything prior to this injury/surgery, as you sound well versed in mg and brand names? It's good you found someone to help. As far as Gabapentin I have only used it for wds and used in heavier doses than you would need. I would say use a script says and give it time to work as it is slow onset. Good luck and get off the opiates. They are living hell. I was an accident victim with prescribed meds and pm who has become a full blown heroin addict. Jump off while you can you have plenty of the necessary meds to help with your little habit. Not meaning lil as weak but just more manageable than a heavier dose. Good luck and really stay away from the opiates worst mistake of my life.

Yeah a "contract" is a federal law requirement for anyone on narcotics and must be renewed every year. You probably didn't notice it when filling out all the paperwork out in the beginnings of your doctor visits. If you have chronic pain you need to get with one doctor and work out a regime so you can get comfortable and manage your pain. Opiates are fine if you only take what you "need" and don't ask for more than you really need so you can get a buzz. This is what I did in the beginning and now wish I didn't do it but experience is how we learn. I am tapering down now and I think I can get by with 20mg doses when the pain hits. I want it so when I need it for pain I can take it so when at a point I do not have any I do not suffer any WD's, "IF" this is possible at all.

Gabapentin is normally prescribed around 800mg three to four times a day to treat acute withdrawal. However, many of us take more of it than that. Others get away with taking less more frequently (it's most effectively absorbed in doses under 400mg with a bit of protein/carb/sodium apparently). Once I built a little of a tolerance to it I found I'd need to take around 4,000mg/day.

If you have a tolerance to benzos you may need to use substantially more than 2400mg/day of gabapentin. Tolerance will built rapidly, but with this medication it is very, very difficult to overdose on and have a very minimal side effect profile. Very safe medication, however if used for long periods of time you can become dependent on it and have to deal with slowly tapering off (gabaergic withdrawal is no fun, it can easily be worse than kicking opioids, so it is best avoided).

That said, chances are, especially if you haven't been dependent on something like alcohol or benzos before, you will be able to take it without having to worry much about dependency for a number of months (everyone is different, but I used it on and off for long periods of time daily for years and had zero issues discontinuing it when I was ready - it can be really helpful for anxiety issues).

I hope you're not taking 20mg of something like alprazolam (Xanax) or clonazepam (Klonopin). Are you taking diazepam? Or something else? Definitely start with the gabapentin. Gabapentin, clonidine and diazepam (well and buprenorphine) in combination have been the gold standard when it comes to treating the acute opioid withdrawal for some time now.

All of the above advice is very solid. I'm just chiming in because after getting off Oxy from long term use I decided to cut out the gabapentin, rapidly. I had been off of oxy for about 12 weeks and the PAWS were tolerable. I had been using GP for nearly a year and worked up to 4-5 grams per day for the last 6 months. I went on a steep taper and within 3 days I was coming unglued and experiencing insane mood swings, all negative though, not like manic / depressive. All depressive with sadness and anger mixed in.

I've withdrawn from over a dozen different drugs but nothing prepared me for that. After losing a good online friend that I spoke with several hours of everyday, taking way to much time off of work,
relapsing back on oxy (which didn't help the GP w/d's) and had people thinking I had lost my mind in general, I eased up on the taper and things got much better. I know, Duh. I'd just never heard of GP withdrawal before

Now I'm not saying to not use the GP as it is a great tool for w/d's and not everyone is as sensitive to gabaergic w/d as I am. I'm just saying when things get better from oxy cessation or reduction, give the GP a break if you can. There are still doctors that believe GP withdrawal is an urban legend, but there's a whole thread in OD (other drugs forum) filled with people that had almost identical symptoms to my own and from lower doses / usage time. I guess my point is leave some extra GP available for a nice, easy taper if you end up using it for an extended period or in the 3+ gram range for over a month. Best of Luck to you...

Be happy it's just oxycodone and not bupe. Day 4-5-6 are the worst, the most physically and psychologically, it's a living hell, I didn't do oxycodone in large quantities for a long time enough to get really bad withdrawals, only one time I was given by somebody who was clearing out their dead grandparent's stuff a jar of 20mg Oxy IR with about 25 in it, the largest IR dose of Oxy up here and 20 60mg CDN Oxycontins. I took all of that in 5 days and wow, the chills...thankfully I was still living with my mother then, she had a therapeutic bathtub with 72 streams of water hitting you and massaging you and it's got a temperature setting, so that the chills would stop, didn't have any mental anguish like when later I was shooting Dilaudid, which became my DOC, well, my favourite thing was to eat a 20mg oxycontin or a 100mg MS-Contin with some hydroxyzine and then slam 4mg to 12mg of Dilaudid at once, and sometimes when I had the Statex brand of morphine, which is like MS IR's without all the crap, it's like Dilaudid safe to filter with a regular filter to shoot up unlike MS IR's which only SteriFilts I've used on those, especially when dealing with shitty ass 5mg MS IR's.

The 30mg ones the filters inside the SecuriCup packages were good enough, but not those. Anyway, if I could put in a 25mg Statex along a 4mg Dilaudid with the background oxycontin 20mg taken orally with the hydroxyzine and the ms-contins 100mg or kadians 130mg taken orally as is, at that dose it works, especially since then I had a Tagamet prescription, 600mg horse-sized pills heh. There's 800mg ones but I went for the 600 when asking the doctor (rx only in Canada since about 15 years). So day 4 after not shooting my daily dilaudid in case my guy wasn't available or I was out of cash and he was really annoying with his schedule, the guy is on so many opioids because of his 2 shoulders which if they had one more cortisone infiltration they would likely break, is always busy with this and that, I once had to sit on...about what would bring me 50 8mg Dilaudid and a dozen 24mg HydromorphContins on day 5 where the skin crawling, the anxiety, the impossibility to sleep, even with benzos, well I'd sleep with benzos, maybe 2 hours and wake up in a panic attack and there again the hot cold hot cold skin crawling feeling like going insane...but I beat it twice on my own before circumstances made it impossible for me to detox by myself, but I gotta tell ya, by day 7, physical symptoms are almost all gone, and I was shooting up 32 to 56mg of hydromorphone a day which was my main thing, I could do without the Kadians, MS-Contins even if high dosed, they were there as a kind of "keep it going" thing, like how the oxycontin 20 was, because you surely all know here how Dilaudid IV'd is opiate-crack, it's all rush, stronger than heroin, no legs...shoulda kept snorting it, I was one of those who had the 55% nasal BA work well for Dillies before I stuck a needle in my arm the first time, the first time it was a Statex 25mg and didn't do it for a long time again, but once you do it, you ain't afraid to do it, at least I was conscientious with my use, no re-using needles, breaking them while putting back the safety caps, I could get 50 at once from street workers who had those kits with the bacteriostatic water vials, Securicup sterile cup and SteriFilt filter (made to shoot pills of any kind, as good as it gets, microns have a slight advantage over them, but I wasn't interested in buying filters, SteriFilts were free, although at one point I ordered 500 from France for a very low price.

Micron filters are for those who want to shoot up stuff which has talc in them, which even SteriFilts (which are strangely not in the US, must because they were invented in France) everything where even the brand name has nasty shit in them, like generic dilaudid...my god I hated them. tl;dr I wish you good luck, you're in the middle of the storm, it only gets better, in 2 days the worst, the physical pain and extreme flu sensations and the pricks, needles and pins all over, shivering etc. the physical effects will be gone in 8 days max, 6-7 in, it can extend to 10 days for people with ungodly tolerance...or if they're on suboxone which takes even longer to taper than methadone, which is why the stuff should only be used for 3 month detoxes.

Last edited: