• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oxy LD50 426mg/kg. Is that correct.

CardoTheCat

Greenlighter
Been prescribed 10 mg Oxycodone ER four times/day for many years now and I was curious. The source I found said LD50 is 426mg/kg. I decided to the math. I weigh 85kg. That comes out to 37.5 grams. My 30 day supply total is 10mg x 120 pills for a total of 1.2 grams.

Surely I’ve taken a wrong turn somewhere. To reach the LD50 (not a current goal) I’d have to save for over 2 and a half years.

How does anyone manage to OD on that stuff?

No. That is how much it took to kill either a mouse or a rat. Multiply that LD50/kg by 0.081 if a mouse or 0.16 if a rat.

However this is still highly inaccurate. Humans are not rats and react to drugs much differently. In general rats are much less sensitive to opioids.

You can't translate animal LD50 to humans very well for several reasons, and it's not an established number because scientists can't go around injecting humans with drugs to see if they die (this isn't Auschwitz).

100-200mg of oxycodone could potentially kill someone who isn't tolerant. The lethal dose isn't well established because there are so many factors into what makes a dose lethal or not.

But please, don't go around thinking you have to take 37g or it's impossible to overdose on. You'd be dead wrong. For that matter, 426mg would easily kill most people, even people with high tolerance.

Been prescribed 10 mg Oxycodone ER four times/day for many years now and I was curious. The source I found said LD50 is 426mg/kg. I decided to the math. I weigh 85kg. That comes out to 37.5 grams. My 30 day supply total is 10mg x 120 pills for a total of 1.2 grams.

Surely I’ve taken a wrong turn somewhere. To reach the LD50 (not a current goal) I’d have to save for over 2 and a half years.

Wtf, prob it was 4.26mg/kg, that's like 200mg for a 50kg person and tbh from common knowledge I think that's about the min "danger zone dose" for an opiate naive person. There used to be 160mg oxy pills back in the late 90s and early 00s but were taken off the market cause many ppl accidentally oded after eating even 1. So yeah, from what I know ur info is definitely wrong. U most likely misread, it's ok we all make mistakes but yeah it's about that 150-200mg for a person with no tolerance and even less if u mix benzos/soma into the mix. Stay safe

@nznity well that number is correct I remember reading the LD50 of morphine in rats was like 600mg/kg

Meanwhile the heroin LD50 in rats is 20mg/kg

But like I said that number doesn't mean shit for humans. Rats are a lot different than human brains.

99.99999% of the ppl who die from opiate medication is from a multiple drug intoxication. Oxy+benzos, oxy+alcohol, oxy+valium+soma, etc.
Or when ppl go to jail or rehab and take the same dose they used to take when they were in active use, tolerance goes down super fast when u quit and it goes right back up when u stsrt taking again. So they take the same dose they were used to, mix it with a few beers, couple valiums and boom. Never wake up again.
Now with fentanyl is a different game, ppl can OD on that shit anytime cause the LD is just a few milligrams. Doesn't matter if u got a massive tolerance or not, a hotshot of that and u drop dead immediately.

@nznity well that number is correct I remember reading the LD50 of morphine in rats was like 600mg/kg

Meanwhile the heroin LD50 in rats is 20mg/kg

But like I said that number doesn't mean shit for humans. Rats are a lot different than human brains.
Ik, this guy was talking nonsense, 37 grams? Wtf I think even a bull would OD with that much oxy haha. But yeah u are right, from what I've heard the LD50 is like 100-200. Although, there's been cases of super sensitive ppl that with an 80mg pill have died(especially small ppl, women and sadly children on a few cases).

I'd imagine it's like trying to find the LD50 for fentanyl. We don't kill humans to get this data so the closest you'll find is apes (for fentanyl anyways). Which is funny the news loves to throw around 2 mg as a lethal dose...what they don't tell you is that's for about a 150 pound opiod-naive ape using 100% pure fentanyl intravenously with 100% bioavailability. I did find this : The oral lowest dose causing toxic effects in humans is 0.14mg/kg

Ik, this guy was talking nonsense, 37 grams? Wtf I think even a bull would OD with that much oxy haha. But yeah u are right, from what I've heard the LD50 is like 100-200. Although, there's been cases of super sensitive ppl that with an 80mg pill have died(especially small ppl, women and sadly children on a few cases).
The intraperitoneal LD50 in mice is 320mg/kg, the oral LD50 is 426mg/kg.[MSDS] The oral lowest dose causing toxic effects in humans is 0.14mg/kg and subcutaneously in rats it is 1.53mg/kg.[MSDS]

Source: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/oxycodone#section=Analytic-Laboratory-Methods

That'sdue to the levels of cytochrome 2D6. This is the enzyme that turns oxycodone to oxymorphone. Fast metabolizers have a toxic dose way below the 'normal', due to levels of oxymorphone produces