• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids oxy and diazepam

Gbru316

Greenlighter
Is 15 mg oxy and 0.5 mg diazepam dangerous for someone with no tolerance? My wife was prescribed both after undergoing spinal cord surgery last weekend. Dr prescribed a higher dose but I know that mixing can be dangerous since they're both CNS depressants. She's fine with the oxy dose but she's been having some muscle spasms this evening after an exhausting day with our uncooperative toddle. After the nightmare we've been through over the past 2 years, I'm very apprehensive of our healthcare system and the (in)competence of some of those working in it so I recommended a much lower than prescribed dose of the diazepam just to be safe. Do I need to keep a close eye on her this evening or should she be fine since the dose is less than the prescribed dose?

Thanks in advance.

Really not a question I, or really anyone on here, could answer with certainty. Opiates and benzodiazepines mixed are a powerful combination. If you're a recreational user and have a tolerance, however, this amount would literally do nothing. I would think she would be safe, but may just pass out. If a Dr. Prescribed it I would be okay with it. However stable your life, and your wife's life may be, be very cautious when using these drugs. To be blunt, they just make you feel plain old great, and the desire to feel that high again gets strong.

Best of luck

Vancity

this amount would literally do nothing. I would think she would be safe, but may just pass out. If a Dr. Prescribed it I would be okay with it.

Best of luck

Vancity

Thanks. It took 2 years to find a doctor that was able to diagnose my wife when she woke up one day and was paralyzed from the waist down with extreme weakness in her upper extremities (official diagnosis was incomplete quadriplegic), so needless to say, I'm not exactly the most trusting when it comes to medical professionals. I'm a worrier and wanted to get some input from people with experience. Just looking for some peace of mind is all.

Absolutely! Sorry for your Dr. troubles! If you want to be even more careful, maybe cut each pill in half for a week, then work your way up to the prescribed dose. I would just say don't ever go above 15mg of the oxycodone, and .5 mg of valium (diazepam).

Are you sure its valium? Valium comes in 2, 5, and 10MG. Are you cutting them into pieces? .5MG of valium probably wouldnt even effect a benzo naive person

Are you sure its valium? Valium comes in 2, 5, and 10MG. Are you cutting them into pieces? .5MG of valium probably wouldnt even effect a benzo naive person

Yeah, I cut a 2 mg in quarters for her. She said she feels drunk and still has spasms, so if her condition doesn't improve after sleep tonight we agreed that cutting back on the oxy (supplementing a NSAID for pain) and increasing the diazepam would probably be better. I realize 0.5 mg diazepam is a very small dose, better safe than sorry.

On the plus side, she's made some pretty huge strides toward recovery from her neurological injury just in the few days since the procedure.

Yeah, I cut a 2 mg in quarters for her. She said she feels drunk and still has spasms, so if her condition doesn't improve after sleep tonight we agreed that cutting back on the oxy (supplementing a NSAID for pain) and increasing the diazepam would probably be better. I realize 0.5 mg diazepam is a very small dose, better safe than sorry.

On the plus side, she's made some pretty huge strides toward recovery from her neurological injury just in the few days since the procedure.
Ok thats what I figured quarters of a 2MG, just wanted to make sure it wasnt klonopin or something way stronger than diaze. For sure, can never be too cautious when mixing opiates and benzos. Can always take more but never less. Thats great to hear shes doing good, hope her spasms improve also, they can for sure be irritating and distracting.

EDIT: if she feels drunk from that dose of both, the oxy might be potentiating the valium. So decreasing the oxy while increasing the valium is an ideal plan, let us know if it works

Mixing Oxy and Diazepam can be dangerous. Mixing any central nervous system depressant drugs can be dangerous. In your wife's case, if you or more importantly your wife feels the need to go down to .5, then so be it.
That is great that such a low dose can be felt by her. Part of diazepams action is muscle relaxation and anti anxiety. There are certain things that diazepam can do that oxycodone cannot.
You need to make sure you are not eliminating some benifical effects by dosing the diazepam too low. Oxycodone can be energizing to a point on top of pain relieving. You may consider trying 1 mg purposfully for the effects that diazepam possesses.
Some of the initial effects of both drugs should go away pretty quickly.
I must give you credit for erring on the side of caution. I would however advise calling or making a follow up appointment, to see if you must keep the doses that low.
As long as your wife does not have a seizure disorder, then how your dosing should be fine.
I would still at least call and talk to a nurse and ask what is the possibility that you are missing some important effects from the diazepam, because the dose is too low.
As above people mentioned, people's tolerances vary widely. I take oxycodone 5mg w/325 mg of APAP, four times a day and 10 mgs of diazepam, four times a day. I have a very solid tolerance.
I mentioned my dosages, simply to give an example.
Any additional questions you may have, feel free to PM me.