• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Oxy and Clonazepam

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

For over a decade I was on 4MG Clonazepam daily but recently moved to 6MG in place of Temazepam. Hoping to get my 40MG of Oxy raised next month but if not I will make due.

The Oxy is for chronic pain and Clonazepam for severe PTSD and RLS. I am wondering since it seems benzos potentiate painkilling and analgesic properties of opioids; would 4MG Clon and 20MG Oxy be a solid morning dose?

I only take the Klonopin sublingually as it works 3x as well for me this way. BA evidence suggests there shouldn't be a substantial difference but it does more than just kick in faster. My tolerance for both is very, very high. I take 20MG Oxy 1x and 10MG 2x but the 20MG helps get out of bed.

TLDR;

Would 4MG Clonazepam along 20MG of Oxycodone help potentiate the painkilling properties of the opioid? Thinking due to long half-life of Klonopin this may work very well and I am hoping so.

The answer is certainly yes -- the extent to which is dependent on the type of pain. 4mg in the AM followed by 2mg in the PM could be helpful as opposed to 3mg:3mg dosing.

Problem is, that is a pretty high dose of clonazepam, which is entirely fine if we are assuming long term treatment (the increased dose is a serious time commitment if you ever intend to get off). What do mean by in place of temazepam? So you were also on temazepam as well? When dealing with benzos its helpful to convert everything to an equivalent dose of diazepam to roughly calculate total benzodiazepine dose. What was the dose of temazepam?

I would say yes and no. Your Oxy will in my opinion synergise well with your benzo. However in a clinical setting this is unlikely to be deemed potentiation, that requires a biological advantage for one drug by taking another. It will give a smoother ride out of pain having the Clonaz on board if that makes sense.

As mentioned above it is a big commitment to be tied in to a high dose benzo (almost a lifetime commitment at that dosage). Your Oxy use/tolerance you may think is high but for chronic pain that is an average dose, also opi’s are kicked much easier than the ever clinging benzo withdrawal. Just try to keep things as low as is effective, stay safe ?

Really appreciate you guys! Regulations here brought me down from 360MG Oxycodone to 40MG daily so my opioid tolerance is an issue but I make it work! I was thinking the same thing with the 4MG alongside the 20MG for a starting dose and then 2MG with my 3rd and final dose.

I actually am still prescribed 30MG Temazepam but it has been 5 days and I have slept fine without it! The increase in Clonazepam has really helped me. I still wake up with everything off my bed kicked everywhere but I don't actually feel the RLS taking place. Thanks again guys!

Also, I do plan on being on this medication for the rest of my life. It has given me the ability to sleep and manages my PTSD like nothing ever has. I appreciate all input on dosage suggestions or anything at all

Glad to hear that mate. Wow that is a fair drop in dosage indeed? What are were you prescribed that high Oxy for initially? RLS can be a pain, and highly exacerbated in withdrawal of course. Making yourself as comfortable and functional as normally seems to be going well. Keep up the good work ?