• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxy and alcohol

Eleanormal

Greenlighter
I have 5mg oxycodone IR leftover from an illness earlier this year.
I’m going to a holiday party in a couple of days. I don’t plan to take this recreationally. I plan to take it for pain reduction/prevention, as I’ll be on my feet most of the time I’m there and have ongoing joint issues that are awaiting corrective surgery. Usually my Rx anti inflammatory meds keep the pain away, but if I’m at a long event like the upcoming one, I’m usually in a significant amount of pain. I want to enjoy my time and not be in pain.

usually at this annual party, they give out 2 free drink tickets per person with the generous meal. I have gin and tonic, I drink them slowly for a light buzz, as I need to be sober within a few hours to drive home without breaking the law or risking the safety of my passengers or myself.

I’m 5’8”/125 lbs. I planned to take that 5mg oxy tablet just before I depart for the party (about a half hour away). I do plan to enjoy the food offered (salmon, a lot of other good stuff, dessert, coffee).

If I have my 2 gin and tonics over the course of the 5 hours I’m there after taking the 5mg oxy, how impaired will that leave me? I don’t drink terribly often, but I hold my liquor well. I don’t stumble or slur/get loud. I am always sober by the time it’s time to leave that yearly party. I’m worried the oxy will make me sick, or unexpectedly black out or something. It’s never happened before, but I never combined it with alcohol. I could even cut the dose in half to just take the edge off the joint pain, if that would help. Even if I’m not totally pain-free that way, at least I won’t be miserable the whole time, either.

Figured this would be the best place to ask, given the wide range of experiences here.
Thanks.

So for the sake of harm reduction I have to reiterate the danger of this combo and that we can't condone this, although, it seems you understand this and based on what you wrote I can understand you're concern.

Honestly, if you had to take this combination you're probably in the best case scenario and by that I mean, you're taking a therapeutic dose and you are drinking only two drinks over quite a large time, with food. I would think the best thing to do if you decide to take the oxycodone is just drink slowly and feel it out. You will most likely be more intoxicated then usual, but I would not think it would be something you couldn't handle. That being said I have to recommend you not drive under the influence and maybe try and arrange an alternate ride. I don't think we can accurately gauge you're intoxication, though some might like to offer anecdotal experiences.

Best of luck and hope to here back!

Edit: just wanted to add that breaking the pill in half is not a guarantee that you have half of the active ingredient.

Last edited:
Level18 summarizes it pretty well, I'll second that feedback.

In the sense of Harm Reduction, which is what these forums are all about, we would never actually encourage you to mix strong opioids and alcohol.

But for the sake of real conversation, if you've already decided to do it, the reality is you're being very responsible about it, if indeed you stick to your plan of only 2 drinks. Even for those without a tolerance, 5mg of oxy is still a relatively low dose. You're going to feel it, for sure, without a tolerance, and you'll feel pretty fucking great, I would imagine. However it's not going to transform you into a blathering idiot with no control of your faculties.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun :)

So for the sake of harm reduction I have to reiterate the danger of this combo and that we can't condone this, although, it seems you understand this and based on what you wrote I can understand you're concern.

Honestly, if you had to take this combination you're probably in the best case scenario and by that I mean, you're taking a therapeutic dose and you are drinking only two drinks over quite a large time, with food. I would think the best thing to do if you decide to take the oxycodone is just drink slowly and feel it out. You will most likely be more intoxicated then usual, but I would not think it would be something you couldn't handle. That being said I have to recommend you not drive under the influence and maybe try and arrange an alternate ride. I don't think we can accurately gauge you're intoxication, though some might like to offer anecdotal experiences.

Best of luck and hope to here back!

Edit: just wanted to add that breaking the pill in half is not a guarantee that you have half of the active ingredient.

Level18 summarizes it pretty well, I'll second that feedback.

In the sense of Harm Reduction, which is what these forums are all about, we would never actually encourage you to mix strong opioids and alcohol.

But for the sake of real conversation, if you've already decided to do it, the reality is you're being very responsible about it, if indeed you stick to your plan of only 2 drinks. Even for those without a tolerance, 5mg of oxy is still a relatively low dose. You're going to feel it, for sure, without a tolerance, and you'll feel pretty fucking great, I would imagine. However it's not going to transform you into a blathering idiot with no control of your faculties.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun :)

Thanks - both of you have given me a lot of reassurance and useful info.

The event’s at a hotel, so I’m going to ask my friend who plans to stay overnight if I can crash in her room/offer to split the cost of the room if I don’t feel okay to drive.

*Definitely* sticking to the 2 drink maximum. Eating a big meal, and only taking one tablet of the 5mg oxy (I save the few I have left from being sick earlier this year [previous e.coli O157:h7 infection - wash your leafy greens, people] for when I really, really need them for pain. I never take more than 5mg in a 24 hour period).

I may even give one of the free drink tickets away. I’ll feel it out.

I’m glad it likely won’t turn me into a drooling nitwit. I’d hate to end up like that at a big event.

I understand the potential dangers in this combination, and I think the more people spread awareness of that, the better.

Thanks again. Happy holidays, folks! :)

Hey if you're lucky you might be feeling so good you won't want the second drink and you'll make a friend in whoever gets that ticket :D

Drink and opiates don't do it for me but jut go easy. Any time I've done it I've woke up during the night throwing up like you wouldn't believe.

That being said 5mg of oxy and a few drinks I'd think you'll be grand... Enjoy;)