• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxazepam and quetiapine

jambabomba

Bluelighter
Hi,

Okey I have extensive history with multiple different substances and have used high doses of gabaergics and opioids in the past so I now the common interactions. What I am now concerned is the interaction between quetiapine and oxazepam as I got those from doctor but have not used them in conjunction before. I thought there might not be any unusual interactions between those two but I went
on to read wikipedia article about oxazepam and someone had written there this:

"There is a risk of blood circulation collapse, possibly the same condition as blood circulation syncope, when oxazepam is used in combination with quetiapine, an antipsychotic."

There is no source mentioned for this interaction and I did not find any information anywhere else regarding that adverse effect. So does someone has knowledge is there some spesific chemical/metabolic or other interaction between quetiapine+oxazepam or is that just general possible side effect from CNS depression, hypotension etc. benzos and antipsychotics might have? I have used quetiapine with other benzos before without problems but just wondering if oxazepam is some weird exception in safety?

Odd.

Both quetiapine and benzos can cause hypotension. Quetiapine can make me incredibly dizzy and sometimes feint when standing up when I take it without tolerance. APs are very powerful drugs.

Oxezepam is the main active metabolite in MANY benzos, very common, and also prescribed itself (mostly outside the US).

Judging by a quick google search, this side effect is very rare, especially in young or healthy people. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are healthy.

...in one case in an older patient 25mg of quetiapine alone caused this to occur. But it's rare, and quetiapine is prescribed to millions of people, one of the leading prescriptions in the US.

There is no major contraindications for benzos and APs, they're often prescribed together for people in psychosis or other psychiatric issues.

There is not too much of concern between the Quetiapine and the Oxazepam. Just watch out for excessive sedation otherwise you should be fine. And like @Snafu in the Void said, benzos and anti-psychotics are very commonplace in regular therapeutic drug use. I would not recommend that you take one or the other if you are already heavily sedated.

Best wishes!