• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC Overclocking fanatics

Yeah, I game, but the 'games" are probably pretty boring to most folk. One of my big passions is flight simulation and that requires a LOT of hardware resources. Even with the gear I'm running I top out at around 30 fps running 4K resolution and realistic flight physics and weather.

I also play a railroad simulator and a WWII Submarine SIM. All in all pretty geeky stuff that flies under the radar of most gamers. I know Andy Turbo is one of my kinfolk gamewise.

Then of course, in my spare time (between contract jobs) I work on developing my own 3D ray traced Metroid/vania game using Unreal Engine 4.

I'm really (selfishly) interested in what most folks are gaming with. It helps me tune what I am doing to what people can actually play. Hardware is getting so precious right now, if I didn't have industry connections I'm sure it would be very hard to find my CPU and GPU even if one had gobs of money in their fists.!

Last edited:
One must have a CPU, GPU, memory or other hardware that is capable of and coded to be overclocked. Then there is the software to either manually or auto-pilot manipulations of the speeds of timings of the hardware. A great way to burn up yer shit if one isn't careful. :D
There is also under-clocking. Guess that has it's own +/-'s. 🤷‍♀️ Whateva that may be....

After a few burned CPU and GPU I have opted for an automate approach to this business. The machine here has an i5 that clocks between 2.5-3.1GHz, 8Gb RAM (samsung iirc) and an onboard GPU. All solid state storage devices (SD, msata, and sata). Dependable, quick and free are the largest sell points.
Have some other machines but rarely do anything on them and they mostly collect dust.
Have one to repair (laptop) that needs a keyboard and LCD (~$50) and it will be connected to another TV or used as another "security" device around the home.

Some crazy setups some have and it makes me envious... but then I think a monster-machine would just join the ranks of sleeping sentinels these days.

Aah, miss those times when 4 core cpu was high tech.
It still is, wtf does anyone but @Cheshire_Kat need more than 4 cores for? I'm running a 6 core 6 thread (i5-8600k) and I don't think I'll replace it for ten more years. It's the GPUs that always advance so quickly. Like sure, you can go out and buy a Threadripper... but why? Most gamers use one, maybe two 1080p displays, which once again falls more under the purview of the GPU. Having a multi-core, multi-threaded CPU is only necessary for those that want to run many programs all at the same time, i.e. my wife's work computer has a better CPU than my gaming computer, but she has three screens and at least 5 processor-intensive programs going at any given time. IME 6 cores is more than enough for 95% of gamers.

How does one overclock?
Usually by going into your mobo's BIOS setup, you can adjust voltages there (ram, cpu, fan speeds, etc.) GPUs usually offer software within Windows (i.e. MSI Afterburner) if you want to just push the power on your graphics card.

EDIT: Beware! Overclocking can easily fry your shit, and almost always voids your warranty on any parts!

Jesus Cheshire_Kat has an INSANE setup!

i9-10900k @ 5.0Ghz. I can get a couple cores up to 5.2-5.3Ghz on a Asus Maximus XII Hero mobo, but I have to fiddle with ratio cache and voltage in the BIOS just for that extra stability regarding to 200mhz increase. RTX 2080 Ti w/ 64Gb DDR4 3200mhz on an open loop system w/ 360mm and 240mm radiator.

I don't really mess with overclocking the GPU as I'm mostly doing things with RPCS3 as of late and 1440p doesn't demand that much out of a GPU.

Also 5.2Ghz ends up making my CPU pull over 300W for power.

I've been overclocking for at least 15 years. I think my i7 8700k is OC to 4ghz. Not sure. I honestly forgot.

When I was 29 and could finally afford to build my dream setup ($4000)... I suddenly stopped caring about computers and gaming in general. Go figure. Burnt out.

That 8700K is an absolute workhorse, Snafu ! You probably have it running at 5.0 ghz as that is stock setting IIRC.

That 8700K is an absolute workhorse, Snafu ! You probably have it running at 5.0 ghz as that is stock setting IIRC.

Yeah I think you're right. Paired with my 1080ti and 165hz 1440p monitor I had a real beast back then.

It was really odd, though. As soon as I set it up I suddenly lost almost all interest in gaming or PCs in general. Like a dog chasing a car... Once he gets to it he doesn't know what to do.

I had been obsessed with PCs and gaming for 20 years.

Yeah, I game, but the 'games" are probably pretty boring to most folk. One of my big passions is flight simulation and that requires a LOT of hardware resources. Even with the gear I'm running I top out at around 30 fps running 4K resolution and realistic flight physics and weather.

I also play a railroad simulator and a WWII Submarine SIM. All in all pretty geeky stuff that flies under the radar of most gamers. I know Andy Turbo is one of my kinfolk gamewise.

Then of course, in my spare time (between contract jobs) I work on developing my own 3D ray traced Metroid/vania game using Unreal Engine 4.

I'm really (selfishly) interested in what most folks are gaming with. It helps me tune what I am doing to what people can actually play. Hardware is getting so precious right now, if I didn't have industry connections I'm sure it would be very hard to find my CPU and GPU even if one had gobs of money in their fists.!

Sorry for slightly derailing this, but I'm interested @Cheshire_Kat how the hell you keep up with this shit?

You've stated that you're in your 80s. Most people in their eighties struggle with sending a text message.

My brother, who is 71 and spent his whole life as a programmer/systems analyst for Barclay's Bank, admits he doesn't know his CPUs from his GPUs anymore.

I, at 56, used to consider myself relatively computer savvy - I was the go to guy when my mates fucked their desktops up. Although I never got my head around programming (too lazy), I knew my way around DOS and Amiga Workbench enough to solve shit.

But when Windows stopped running on DOS, and DOS started running on windows, I was fucked...

I've been an electronics fanatic my entire life, F.U.B.A.R. I was designing model railroad signaling circuits using relays in grammar school.

And yes, I got beat up regularly ... Think a real life Sheldon Cooper :unsure:

My first real job out of University was at a Arcade Video Game company in the 70's. I was recruited, I didn't apply for a position. I spent 10 years previously programming flight controls in the USAF.

Ironically my love of electronics led to my first LSD experience, LOL! :cool:

But now back to OCing !!! Oh wait I'm O C on OCing ... Don't get me started ;)

Last edited:
I used to, but not recently. Currently I'm running on a somewhat-defective power supply and actually have my video card underclocked to avoid having to replace the PSU. :p

You've gotta be the dumbest newbie I've ever seen
You've got white-out all over your screen
You think your Commodore 64 is really neato
What kinda chip you got in there, a Dorito?
You're usin' a 286? Don't make me laugh
Your Windows boots up in what, a day and a half?
You could back up your whole hard drive on a floppy diskette
You're the biggest joke on the Internet
Your database is a disaster
You're waxin' your modem, tryin' to make it go faster

While your computer's crashin', mine's multitaskin'
It does all my work without me even askin'
Got a flat-screen monitor forty inches wide
I believe that your says "Etch-A-Sketch" on the side
In a 32-bit world, you're a 2-bit user
You've got your own newsgroup, alt.total-loser
Your motherboard melts when you try to send a fax
Where'd you get your CPU, in a box of Cracker Jacks?
Play me online? Well, you know that I'll beat you
If I ever meet you I'll control-alt-delete you
What? What? What? What? What?

haha anyone remember this song?

I used to be able to rap this whole song in middle school

Last edited:
I have a 10700K overcooked to 4.9 ghz on all cores. I tend to under volt and over clock my 5700xt in the Radeon app but it always crashes a few hours in and resets to default.