Over dosed on methadone

Fleischfresser?

Bluelighter
Hi everyone, I pray someone on here can help me out,I have been going to the methadone clinic,I was taking 25ml patch of fentynal and had been on fentynal at various doses for 15yrs,I have a very nasty spine with a couple surgeries under my belt at any rate I peed positive for marijuana and the pain clinic was gonna cut me off so off to the methadone clinic I went,that was at the very end of April,I will say up front I'm very ignorant where opiates are concerned,I went too 60mls and held there,going into June I noticed I was dozing off and felt a bit dizzy,I also was taking gabapentin 600mg four time a day and trazodone on June 13 I dozed off and my husband and son couldn't wake me,they ended up giving me narcan to revive me,that's when all hell broke out!my heart took off like a racing car,I kept yelling to my husband (I'm dying)! And guess what I came damn close to doing just that!they had to shock my heart twice to get it in the right beat,they also notice the missed beats,I was in the ICU for 4 days and just went to my new cardiologist and I am in heart failure,anyway that is neither here nor there,the hospital lowered my methadone to fifty ml,then I requested another lowered amount of ten so I was on forty ml,well I went into withdrawal which was frickin horrible,so I slowly went back up to forty five and have no plans of raises it any more!I really hope someone has a idea as to what happened and why did it take a month and a half to happen?I really pray someone knows.🌹

Methadone is known to be cardiotoxic.

I presume a cardiologist would know that.

But most certainly ask if the methadone could have caused your illness.

You shouldn't have to go through physical withdrawal while in treatment for a heart condition.

I would also presume your cardiologist would know that.

Hi everyone, I pray someone on here can help me out,I have been going to the methadone clinic,I was taking 25ml patch of fentynal and had been on fentynal at various doses for 15yrs,I have a very nasty spine with a couple surgeries under my belt at any rate I peed positive for marijuana and the pain clinic was gonna cut me off so off to the methadone clinic I went,that was at the very end of April,I will say up front I'm very ignorant where opiates are concerned,I went too 60mls and held there,going into June I noticed I was dozing off and felt a bit dizzy,I also was taking gabapentin 600mg four time a day and trazodone on June 13 I dozed off and my husband and son couldn't wake me,they ended up giving me narcan to revive me,that's when all hell broke out!my heart took off like a racing car,I kept yelling to my husband (I'm dying)! And guess what I came damn close to doing just that!they had to shock my heart twice to get it in the right beat,they also notice the missed beats,I was in the ICU for 4 days and just went to my new cardiologist and I am in heart failure,anyway that is neither here nor there,the hospital lowered my methadone to fifty ml,then I requested another lowered amount of ten so I was on forty ml,well I went into withdrawal which was frickin horrible,so I slowly went back up to forty five and have no plans of raises it any more!I really hope someone has a idea as to what happened and why did it take a month and a half to happen?I really pray someone knows.🌹
Hi there, firstly I am SO GLAD you are alive!! That is absolutely terrifying 😮
I have no experience with methadone so I am not able to help you with that, but what has your cardiologist said?

Methadone is known to be cardiotoxic.
I did not know that. I was on methadone a few years ago and I don't recall being told that. I'm certain I'd have gone on it anyway, but it would have been nice to know

Here is some info on side effects of methadone. Some are really easy to treat, but often are not addressed.

Last edited:

Here is some info on other side effects of methadone. Some are really easy to treat, but often are not addressed.

Yeah when I just read what she wrote this same notion came to mind, that perhaps it wasn't the result of some chronic cardiotoxicity of the methadone itself but rather precipitated by naloxone. Has read about the phenomenon once before.

Seems to be mainly associated with methadone and naloxone. I once was injected with naloxone while on 380mg/day of methadone, didn't notice any heart issues, then again I was preoccupied with the feeling of incredible pain in my bones and the sensation of being covered with dry ice on my skin. But i was young, healthy etc

@negrogesic.. could be, but just off that small review indicates its quite rare, happened with other opiates, poly drug users with 3 out of those eight cases having coke on board and two fatalities.

Just a heads up.. methadone can really chew up naloxone. A woman took her whole months supply and it took almost ALL the Narcan in three counties to pull her through.

Glad your still around @Fleischfresser?:)

I would consider adjusting your intake.

I enclose a systematic review of methadone's cardiotoxicity, a more detailed examination of WHY it's cardiotoxic and a case report.

But I will repeat that undergoing severe withdrawal while a heart problem is ongoing SHOULD mean any decent cardiologist would switch you to an alternative opioid. How can they know it's not the methadone unless they stop prescribing it,

By the way, the third paper lists a 'biologically plausible mechanism' but if you read about ORLAAM (a medication also used to treat opioid misuse disorder) you will learn WHY methadone is cardiotoxic. ORLAAM was withdrawn given the number of deaths. In short, it's not the methadone that's toxic but normethadone and dinormethadone (the latter in particular).

Last edited:
@negrogesic.. could be, but just off that small review indicates its quite rare, happened with other opiates, poly drug users with 3 out of those eight cases having coke on board and two fatalities.

Just a heads up.. methadone can really chew up naloxone. A woman took her whole months supply and it took almost ALL the Narcan in three counties to pull her through.

Glad your still around @Fleischfresser?:)

I would consider adjusting your intake.
The hospital wanted me at 50ml I went down to 40but the felt withdrawals pretty badly so went up 5ml and staying at 45ml I pray that's good,thankyou for your kind words I'm awfully glad I'm here too❤️

The hospital wanted me at 50ml I went down to 40but the felt withdrawals pretty badly so went up 5ml and staying at 45ml I pray that's good,thankyou for your kind words I'm awfully glad I'm here too❤️

Yep ❤️

So what’s your daily vitamin supplement look like @Fleischfresser?

@Fleischfresser?

Please read through the studies on methadone and vitamin D deficiency. It’s really common so I would consider adding on the current recommended daily oral vitamin D and I would also consider taking a higher quality multi vitamin daily as well. I think you will like the results.

That write up in the chronic pain book has a great explanation of how significant methadone actually is.. check it out if you get a second.