Out from sectioned hospital care and offered a place at a treatment facility, yes/no?

rebelmania

Bluelighter
Hi everyone. I've been sectioned for 5 weeks and got out today. On my way back from the hospital me and my social workers visited a treatment facility for women with self-harm/addiction/personality disorders etc. They work with CBT and DBT. I would be doing DBT x2/week with an individual therapist, on top of that it's group gatherings x2/day. Horseriding is available x1/week and bath/gym x3. They kind of had me at the riding, I love horses but haven't been able to have one of my own for many years. To be honest they gave off a good impression and the room/bath/shower I would have looked really nice and fresh. Mostly people stay there 6 months-a year. Social services pay for the service. My social workers were really blown away by the place, having seen many before, which made me a bit more open-minded to it. I've previously just been thinking that I'll get clean on my own which so far has worked not at all. I've just made shit worse. Maybe this is my chance of doing it voluntarily instead of being sectioned. Says me writing this high on 4-me-nep, took me about an hour from coming home until high.

What do you guys think? Have you been at a similar place and want to tell me about it?

Rebel

The amount of therapy sounds good.
I would do it, I don't feel like I got nearly enough therapy in inpatient treatment.

I would go for it. I got clean on my own, but honestly I wish I had had the support of inpatient.

No problem, I'm here to help in any way I can, including but not limited to feedback and encouragement. =D

I agree with Mmp. The therapy I had in treatment was sorely lacking (individual therapy once a week with an awful, judgmental therapist) and the therapy groups were too big to be effective. What you describe sounds much more helpful. And while I question the effectiveness of equine therapy, it is fun :)

Rebel, I say go for it. You will have support and doing the work of CBT and DBt can take you places you never thought you could get to.

You're on a good path and it sounds like you have got some really good options.<3

Mostly detox meds whether you needed them or not and group therapy and of course 12 step meetings and book work.
We only had individual therapy every few days, in the 28 days I saw the psychiatrist twice, once being my discharge evaluation.
I'm bipolar so I needed my meds monitored better than just mixing in cure all withdrawal medication with my own routine of prescriptions. I also needed therapy that treated my bipolar and my addiction. Despite claiming they addressed mental health everything was about addiction and no one was qualified to work with my illness.

Thank you all for the encouragement. Aihfl, I don't believe in equine therapy either, I'm just glad cause it's fun as you say. The gym though I think could be useful, and I hate gyms but I will have to get over myself.
Herbavore, have you tried any of those therapies yourself? It would be nice to hear from someone who has <3
Mmp85, I have bipolar disorder too and it for sure needs closer management of medications. Shame it was such a place to end up on :(

Grab it with both hands and don't look back! You're very lucky indeed, after I was sectioned I was booted out without any kind of followup care. When I asked for help for substance abuse I was told, "go and have a drink". It wasn't just booze I had been abusing and the only person who raised that they may have a duty of care to me was the arresting police officer who had seen my commando tattoos and worked out I was a veteran. They didn't give a damn about me, so for anyone who is lucky enough to be offered such help, please do take it. It took some years for me to get to the bottom of the various mental health issues I have and is a long and ongoing process.

Grab it with both hands and don't look back! You're very lucky indeed, after I was sectioned I was booted out without any kind of followup care. When I asked for help for substance abuse I was told, "go and have a drink".

Wow, that's unbelievable. :( I mean I totally believe you, but wow, what a terrible thing to say to someone asking for help with substance abuse...

NHS standard practice. Then you're told to see your GP. Who then tells you to self refer to addaction which is some charity which vaguely offers group therapy but no pharmaceutical assistance. That's why I nearly killed myself in last WD because I just needed to get such large quantities out of my steam, couldn't get any help so thought 'soddit, if I die, I die, nothing to lose' and went through two weeks of torture, without any assistance whatsoever, even after the seizures etc. Nearly bit my own tongue off. Ho hum, all in the past, but yeah, the UK NHS fails addiction patients time and again. This is just one of many examples and (to take it back on topic!) why I so strongly recommended to the OP that they grab at the chance. I would have, but it's not common to be offered such help.

Please note.

The anecdote above is a true commentary of a very unfortunate cycle of events but cannot be in any way considered to be a recommendation. Under no circumstances should you consider going through alcohol withdrawal alone. If you begin to feel any symptoms you should contact emergency medical assistance as alcohol withdrawal is one of the few kinds which is life threatening and has a 'oh shit' high level of morbidity.