• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc OTC Cyproheptadine (Periactin) for allergies

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

I've got a pretty resistant form of seasonal hay fever which doesn't respond to the standard second-generation antihistamines so I'm forced to take the first-generation ones for example Promethazine and Diphenhydramine. Here in the UK hay fever season is almost upon us and I'm looking for a different first-generation antihistamine I haven't taken before until I found Cyproheptadine (Periactin), I done a bit of research on this medication and it's got clinically significant activity at Dopaminergic and Serotonergic neurons as well as Histaminergic neurons which makes it look like an Antipsychotic! It's available OTC in the UK too, has anyone taken this medication before? and is there much sedation to it? Cheers guys.

Hey all.

I've got a pretty resistant form of seasonal hay fever which doesn't respond to the standard second-generation antihistamines so I'm forced to take the first-generation ones for example Promethazine and Diphenhydramine. Here in the UK hay fever season is almost upon us and I'm looking for a different first-generation antihistamine I haven't taken before until I found Cyproheptadine (Periactin), I done a bit of research on this medication and it's got clinically significant activity at Dopaminergic and Serotonergic neurons as well as Histaminergic neurons which makes it look like an Antipsychotic! It's available OTC in the UK too, has anyone taken this medication before? and is there much sedation to it? Cheers guys.
Since it's hay-fever season again. . . My impression is that cyproheptadine is very sedating, being prescribed as a sleeping pill (as well as an appetite stimulant IIRC). So it doesn't sound ideal for your purposes, but I think it would be very interesting to sample, I certainly would try it out if I could buy it OTC.

All the old 1st-gen antihistamines are very sedating and sold as OTC sleeping pills like diphenhydramine or doxylamine. For allergies you're better off with moderner 2nd-gen ones, these don't enter the brain and are non sedating. Might require a prescription in your place but should by any means be easy to get if you suffer from hay-fever.

BTW, cyproheptadine is the antidote of choice for serotonin syndrome, it has antiserotonergic properties which are interesting but one more thing that isn't ideal for your purposed use.