• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Oral use of Meth

But we know from seizures in europe and reporting in EMCDDA that it's mostly d-methamphetamine being sold in Europe now. Highly pure non-racemic d-isomer methamphetamine. It's taking Berlin and a bunch of other cities, specifically in Germany by storm cheap highly potent. Europe is now experiencing what the United States did when the Mexican cartels figured out how to resolve and remove the levo isomer from, P2P meth.

It's my understanding that it was European methamphetamine manufacturers who first began to resolve methamphetamine and that the Mexicans borrowed the technology.

I've already flagged the DEA adding radical initiators being added to it's list of controlled precursors. I don't know if 'precursor' is quite the right term. Reagent seems more accurate.

But resolving methamphetamine is just a response to the increased costs of BMK. For a long time raecemic methamphetamine was the de facto standard. Resolving and raecemizing the product it a lot of extra work.

But profit is everything - that the resulting product is twice as potent simply means it goes twice as far.

It's my understanding that it was European methamphetamine manufacturers who first began to resolve methamphetamine and that the Mexicans borrowed the technology.

I've already flagged the DEA adding radical initiators being added to it's list of controlled precursors. I don't know if 'precursor' is quite the right term. Reagent seems more accurate.

But resolving methamphetamine is just a response to the increased costs of BMK. For a long time raecemic methamphetamine was the de facto standard. Resolving and raecemizing the product it a lot of extra work.

But profit is everything - that the resulting product is twice as potent simply means it goes twice as far.
The cartels had perfected resolving d-methamphetamine in the early teens. Well before this surge of d-meth in Europe.

The 2016 national drug threat assessment is based off of seizures from 2014 and 2015 that had an average potency (potency defined by percentage of the d-isomer of methamphetamine) of 86.7%.

So we have actual data supplied by the DEA that by 2014 and 2015 the cartels had solved how to resolve d-methamphetamine. Any l isomer was most likely from non-cartel chemists using P2P that didn't know how to resolve the d-isomer or didn't have the chemicals/ equipment.

I can't remember where I read it and I'm not going to go search for it. But there was a report that said the cartels had perfected resolving the d-isomer earlier by 2012/2013.

They were either throwing away a lot of levo, or at the time doing three passes to result in 87.5%, or four passes to get to 93.75% is all they wanted to do.

I expect they're doing six passes which would give 98+% potency, and we're seeing around 97 per the DEA so that's a match.

After all, nobody's complaining about 1.5-3 mg of levo in 100 mg of crystal.

Probably around the same effect as using a vicks vapo inhaler several times.

I wonder when somebody will realize that they can buy/steal bulk levo and then initiate radical production to racemize it and then resolve the dextro out.

I guess I should actually say put into practice....

Last edited:
Imagine starting out with pharmaceutically pure levo methamphetamine and then racemizing it and resolving it out with a chiral acid. You could just throw away the shit you don't want. You don't even have to RRR it.

I guess it'd be like 20 tabs of Desoxyn.

Imagine starting out with pharmaceutically pure levo methamphetamine and then racemizing it and resolving it out with a chiral acid. You could just throw away the shit you don't want. You don't even have to RRR it.

I guess it'd be like 20 tabs of Desoxyn.

I honestly wonder if for a period the unwanted enantiomer was just thrown away. While radical initiators aren't THAT rare, I am not aware of any patent or paper in which their use in the racemization of methamphetamine. I think someone actually found a related reaction and realized it could be adapted.

Do you know the simplest, cheapest, safest and highest yielding (quantitative) reductive amination I've ever found was in an Indian patent for the improved synthesis of sertraline from sertralone? It's quite amazing. RT and stir for 24 hours. I figured that a lot of sertraline is made and so a lot of researchers could make a tidy profit from licencing their patented improved route. Thus their was a reward in perfecting that one step.

I honestly wonder if for a period the unwanted enantiomer was just thrown away. While radical initiators aren't THAT rare, I am not aware of any patent or paper in which their use in the racemization of methamphetamine. I think someone actually found a related reaction and realized it could be adapted.

Do you know the simplest, cheapest, safest and highest yielding (quantitative) reductive amination I've ever found was in an Indian patent for the improved synthesis of sertraline from sertralone? It's quite amazing. RT and stir for 24 hours. I figured that a lot of sertraline is made and so a lot of researchers could make a tidy profit from licencing their patented improved route. Thus their was a reward in perfecting that one step.
Well, there's one reaction that Shulgin likes that you basically put the reactants in a piece of glassware and then let it sit in a dark closet for 2 weeks. He said the yield is much higher than the under pressure in heat reaction. I have to look for which chemical it is because I can't remember.

@1505742 I don't know why you're saying I quoted something about 2018 tasting harsh but I certainly didn't